Is This How You Run An Airline?

Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Is This How You Run An Airline?

Had an issued F class ticket SLC to JFK. Then got an email changing the flight to SLC-Detroit-JFK claiming a "schedule change". Really? The issued booking and the "new" booking both were scheduled to depart at 9:25 am. There was no schedule change. Then the cherry on the cake. Could not change back on the website. This then plunged me into the abyss of the Delta call center, which is now dysfunctional. Thank goodness for speaker phones. During the 3 hour hold time, I ate lunch and did other work. Although if I have to hear the pious speech about "welcome back" and "we've eliminated touch points" one more time, I will scream. I guess eliminating touch points really means a race to the bottom with bad service and non existent food. Was this a computer algorithm gone bad that triggered this awful incident or mere employee incompetence? (probably both)/
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Had an issued F class ticket SLC to JFK. Then got an email changing the flight to SLC-Detroit-JFK claiming a "schedule change". Really? The issued booking and the "new" booking both were scheduled to depart at 9:25 am. There was no schedule change. Then the cherry on the cake. Could not change back on the website. This then plunged me into the abyss of the Delta call center, which is now dysfunctional. Thank goodness for speaker phones. During the 3 hour hold time, I ate lunch and did other work. Although if I have to hear the pious speech about "welcome back" and "we've eliminated touch points" one more time, I will scream. I guess eliminating touch points really means a race to the bottom with bad service and non existent food. Was this a computer algorithm gone bad that triggered this awful incident or mere employee incompetence? (probably both)/
Something happened to your flight and for a brief period during schedule change load it appeared your flight would no longer operate. Thus system rebooked you. Nothing nefarious, just fact of life with as many schedule changes as are going on these days. I've had similar issues on multiple OALs.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
There was a major glitch in the DL Reservation system over the weekend schedule change where it was kicking everyone off any domestic A330 flight (even for flights this week) and re-booking on non A330 flights.
wrp96, SamirD and DLASflyer like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
No idea what the cause was, but yes there was some glitch this weekend that caused a lot of people to be moved out of valid itineraries for no apparent reason. And of course that made the call centers even worse than normal. I recommend callback option vs speakerphone myself. But if you like to hold, certain Android phones can wait on hold for you and alert you when a human answers.
wrp96, SamirD and dtwlarry like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I've seen multiple threads on the A330 bug, but has anyone experienced issues with other flight for Sept? (non wide body)

I got a change notice on four segments in September. DCA-MSP-JAC-SLC-DCA. Three of the segments no longer show an aircraft type, segment length, travel time. I can't alter seats. My JAC-SLC has a message that I'll miss my SLC-DCA connection, even though the connection time is 49 minutes. It also appears all of the flight numbers (all four segments) changed. Appears to be some sort of glitch that rolled out with the changes Saturday.

Side note, when I called the Medallion line, the recording first states the experience may be difference because DL is trying out a new phone system.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I've seen multiple threads on the A330 bug, but has anyone experienced issues with other flight for Sept? (non wide body)

I got a change notice on four segments in September. DCA-MSP-JAC-SLC-DCA. Three of the segments no longer show an aircraft type, segment length, travel time. I can't alter seats. My JAC-SLC has a message that I'll miss my SLC-DCA connection, even though the connection time is 49 minutes. It also appears all of the flight numbers (all four segments) changed. Appears to be some sort of glitch that rolled out with the changes Saturday.

Side note, when I called the Medallion line, the recording first states the experience may be difference because DL is trying out a new phone system.
Flight number changes can cause system to think a flight was canceled. It then tries to rebook before new flight is loaded and thus it looks like they changed you for no reason.

I feel all rebookings should wait till after schedule changes are loaded. However with as many bookings as DL has I get the way they do it.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Flight number changes can cause system to think a flight was canceled. It then tries to rebook before new flight is loaded and thus it looks like they changed you for no reason.

I feel all rebookings should wait till after schedule changes are loaded. However with as many bookings as DL has I get the way they do it.
Oh I get that part about the flight number changes. But whats odd is that I cant alter any seats and while it shows me confirmed on the new flights, there are some oddities that have me concerned. Plus, it still shows me multiple flight times in my itinerary, so its tough to tell which flight is the correct one. For example, on the JAC-SLC segment I have both a 7:15a departure and 7:30a departure. Not a huge deal, but now it shows me misconnecting, which isnt correct. One of my segments already has a delay of 20 minutes. Which again, isnt an issue, but just odd.

Ive had flight numbers change before. Ive never seen things this mixed up in an itinerary.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There was a major glitch in the DL Reservation system over the weekend schedule change where it was kicking everyone off any domestic A330 flight (even for flights this week) and re-booking on non A330 flights.
I have also seen if affect some domestic 339's and 764's that are not typical D1 routes.
The original flight remains bookable with cash and virtually no seats assigned.

They even did this to a flight I was taking this week. That is going to be one light 332 flying PHX-ATL with everyone moved to the other flights.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
What a nightmare...glad I haven't messed with DL in a while...
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SamirD
What a nightmare...glad I haven't messed with DL in a while...
Trust me, you aren't missing out on much. Terrible customer service in every front and DL's CEO is claiming that phone wait times is just 1 hour when in reality is much longer.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:44 pm

I'm about to lose it. Flight home on Sept 12th was booked FC kona to hnl, then nonstop to Seattle on A339. This has now changed to flight getting to hnl that night and then not leaving until the next morning with an extra stop at LAX then home to Seattle. This isn't acceptable...any chance this will revert back on it's own? It was DL440 which shows online for Sept 12th and says sold out. Trying to stay calm.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sarahnf
I'm about to lose it. Flight home on Sept 12th was booked FC kona to hnl, then nonstop to Seattle on A339. This has now changed to flight getting to hnl that night and then not leaving until the next morning with an extra stop at LAX then home to Seattle. This isn't acceptable...any chance this will revert back on it's own? It was DL440 which shows online for Sept 12th and says sold out. Trying to stay calm.
There was some apparent glitch over the weekend that resulted in a bunch of issues itineraries on domestic widebodies. It's been reported/noted in several threads today. Looking at HNL-SEA on Sept 12th, I show two flights, both lie flats. A 767-300 (DL522), departing HNL at 12:12 PM and an A330-900NEO (DL440), departing HNL at 9:35 PM. Both flights are showing as bookable in FC right now.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
There was some apparent glitch over the weekend that resulted in a bunch of issues itineraries on domestic widebodies. It's been reported/noted in several threads today. Looking at HNL-SEA on Sept 12th, I show two flights, both lie flats. A 767-300 (DL522), departing HNL at 12:12 PM and an A330-900NEO (DL440), departing HNL at 9:35 PM. Both flights are showing as bookable in FC right now.
Ours was the 9:35 pm flight. On hold now, thank you!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

September? I had a BOS-LAX-PHX itinerary changed to BOS-ATL-PHX arriving 2 hours later. Original routing available but website would not let me change (award) ticket online. Canceled and rebooked for 500 fewer miles.

MSY-ATL-SLC-ABQ: new flight numbers, minimal changes in flight times, but now stuck in C+ middle on ATL-SLC. Aisle seats available in MC but it won’t let me switch since I’ve been “upgraded”.

PHX-DTW-BOS changed to PHX-ATL-BOS with negligible differences in departure and arrival times.

None of these segments are or were scheduled on widebodies.

A330 ATL-PHX segment on 8/6 is still there. So far.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Ours was the 9:35 pm flight. On hold now, thank you!
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.