Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta changed or canceled my flights but I'll rebook next year

Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I understand that schedules change all the time and what I see today I might not see tomorrow.

I had a Delta flight RDU-JFK-LIS-BCN-ATL (connects to a cruise). The cruise got canceled and I canceled the flight and got an e-credit from Delta. I plan to re-book in 2022, whenever I can. But I was looking at the schedule for *2021* and it looks like my original flights booked may be gone from the schedule? The flights were canceled pretty soon after I canceled my flight, as far as I know.

I wonder if Delta made changes to flights to/from LIS and BCN? Maybe Covid related? Not enough pax?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Ask Delta for a refund. No reason to give them a one year interest free loan.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I agree with DLASflyer

In these times, I've found that unless you need the e-Credits to book another flight, wait until the major schedule change window extends through your flight before you consider cancelling. Real money is better than DL money.
DLASflyer and Spiff like this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I got an ecredit because it was not a refundable fare. Cruise canceled first before Delta canceled.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:09 pm

I think what people are telling you is if you have waited till Delta made the change it would have been refundable. The suggestion is you call and tell them now after I cancelled, you cancelled so I can get a refund and that probably wont work because thats not the way it works. But Ill be honest Im sitting here waiting on one flight booked to change hoping I can get a refund versus a credit. Ive got another two months, if it doesnt change Ill take the credit if it does Ill get the refund
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I think what people are telling you is if you have waited till Delta made the change it would have been refundable. The suggestion is you call and tell them now after I cancelled, you cancelled so I can get a refund and that probably wont work because thats not the way it works. But Ill be honest Im sitting here waiting on one flight booked to change hoping I can get a refund versus a credit. Ive got another two months, if it doesnt change Ill take the credit if it does Ill get the refund
Oh I appreciate your comment. But when the cruise was cancelled I didn't think to wait for Delta to cancel. Lesson learned for next time.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Ask Delta for a refund. No reason to give them a one year interest free loan.
So far this year I have chosen to do the exact opposite. During the early days of covid I bought many BE flights for my usual routes knowing full well they would all be canceled due to covid/quarantine restrictions. I have now enjoyed the luxury of reusing these tickets by 12/31/22 to book all of my flights at 20-30 cents on the dollar as current prices have skyrocketed. Most of the one-way tickets I bought were in the $79 range and are now well into the $300s. And I can always still get a refund if I wish down the road.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
So far this year I have chosen to do the exact opposite. During the early days of covid I bought many BE flights for my usual routes knowing full well they would all be canceled due to covid/quarantine restrictions. I have now enjoyed the luxury of reusing these tickets by 12/31/22 to book all of my flights at 20-30 cents on the dollar as current prices have skyrocketed. And I can always get a refund if I wish down the road.
DL isn't generally just letting you rebook months down road as even exchange anymore . What you got promised/offered previously isnt necessarily how it is anymore.
gooselee and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL isn't generally just letting you rebook months down road as even exchange anymore . What you got promised/offered previously isnt necessarily how it is anymore.
Exactly, I doubt DL would be still allowing this now. That $79 ticket can be applied to a new itinerary and the add collect for the difference will be the next thing they ask for before the ticket gets reissued. Would make no sense to offer people the same fare on any date over a two year period.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Exactly, I doubt DL would be still allowing this now. That $79 ticket can be applied to a new itinerary and the add collect for the difference will be the next thing they ask for before the ticket gets reissued. Would make no sense to offer people the same fare on any date over a two year period.
So far I have not had to add in any funds and have always gotten an even exchange.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
So far I have not had to add in any funds and have always gotten an even exchange.
Back last year they were offering that type of thing. Theyve tightened up once again. Cancelled Tickets from last year can still be rebooked as even exchange, but new tickets now in most cases don't offer such open ended changes to dates months away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.