Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$652 million profit (Delta has returned to profitability after 5 quarters July 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$652 million profit (Delta has returned to profitability after 5 quarters July 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

Delta has returned to profitability after 5 quarters.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/14/delt...s-q2-2021.html
demkr, jalves and ryandc99 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Let’s hope they use these profits to
1) Hire more call center agents
2) Profit share with the employees who have kept the airline running through COVID.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Net income was +$652m on a GAAP basis but a loss of $678m on an adjusted basis (stripping out federal aid and special items).

Pre-tax GAAP profit was $776m but a loss of $881m when adjusted for special items.

However they were profitable in the month of June on an adjusted pre-tax basis.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Let’s hope they use these profits to
1) Hire more call center agents
2) Profit share with the employees who have kept the airline running through COVID.
3) Plan executive bonuses
4) Do share buybacks
5) Purchase more discounted planes from bankrupt JV partners
13) Introduce pre-covid meals in FC
There! Looks like a more complete list. right
dw, Synapseturquoise and SeaHawg like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks to the taxpayers for footing the bill... meanwhile we still have limited service and are getting hit with sky high fares.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rylan
Thanks to the taxpayers for footing the bill... meanwhile we still have limited service and are getting hit with sky high fares.
No kidding and I just booked with UA on my upcoming trip. On my upcoming flight, DL fares were nearly double that of AA and UA. Why should I pay double that of the competition to fly on DL only to get limited in-flight service, 3 hour hold times for customer service, and possibly be served a “cold boxed meal?”
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
No kidding and I just booked with UA on my upcoming trip. On my upcoming flight, DL fares were nearly double that of AA and UA. Why should I pay double that of the competition to fly on DL only to get limited in-flight service, 3 hour hold times for customer service, and possibly be served a “cold boxed meal?”
I have switched entirely to AS.
One of my guilty pleasures is booking FC on AS with my DL Reserve card . Just to make sure DL gets all details of my flying activity, and that has resulted in a deluge of targeted offers ($100 ecert, discount code/promotions etc.) not biting so far.
Synapseturquoise and OhDoctor like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Yeah, maybe we should all print out "Your Tax Dollars at Work" flyers and paste them on Delta counters.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:00 pm

They could have used $500M of that profit to improve customer experience, e.g. implement full meal services in business and economy.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I'm sure taxpayers are heartbroken that First Class passengers aren't getting hot plated meals.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Out of Atlanta to the cities I go to often, where DL is the only airline flying non-stop, the fares are actually cheaper now than pre-covid for basically the rest of the year, and have been for a month, as I've been looking and booking.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Question, all of the various loans that DL had to draw on over the past year, I assume they have to pay all of that back. Does anyone know if the payback of the various loans is included in the profit amount, or will they need to use the profit to pay those things back?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:23 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
It is only a "profit" under GAAP and is required to be reported that way. Delta also provides its own non-GAAP report which declares a $678 million loss after considering the government payroll support payments (and including an income tax amount), And no, they are not allowed under the terms of payroll support payments to make dividend or bonus payments for another year. Might help if some folks actually read the accounting report, or understood it.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Question, all of the various loans that DL had to draw on over the past year, I assume they have to pay all of that back. Does anyone know if the payback of the various loans is included in the profit amount, or will they need to use the profit to pay those things back?

Operating income excludes interest. Net income includes interest payments. So if net income is positive, it means that they are making money after paying interest on those loans.

But in the long run, they also have to pay back the principal. Principal payment does not actually impact profit - only interest payments do (which makes sense - otherwise borrowing money would mean profit is up and paying it back means profit goes down ). What it does impact is the balance sheet and assets. And it is roughly correct to say that - in the long run - the loans have to be paid off with operating profit (or, really, operating cashflow).
Old Jul 14, 2021, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by LexPassenger
Might help if some folks actually read the accounting report, or understood it.
The only requirement to discuss a topic on the internet is to read a (usually click-bait) title. You certainly don't need to read the article. And expecting people to understand a complex topic...that's truly insane!

/major sarcasm
ryandc99 and CalebMCO like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.