Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

False Rumor: Delta and Membership Rewards (No Change to partnership)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

ugly behavior by delta continues

Moderator Note: A blog linking to incorrect information regarding this partnership has been removed from this post.
RobertS975 and Spiff like this.

Last edited by ryandc99; Jul 13, 2021 at 12:49 pm Reason: Moderator Note: A blog linking to incorrect information regarding this partnership has been removed from this post.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:39 am

In most cases it's terrible value to convert MR to skypesos anyway. No big loss. MR is worth way more than 1 cpp which is skypesos these days
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
In most cases it's terrible value to convert MR to skypesos anyway. No big loss. MR is worth way more than 1 cpp which is skypesos these days
Completely agree. While losing transfer options is never good, xfering to DL isn't something I did or would generally suggest.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:31 am

I like how the author and OP both assume it's a one sided "ugly" decision by Delta. It's not like Amex would have any motive to push you to a different card LOL!
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Losing any transfer partner is a bummer and I do agree that the Delta SkyMiles isn't a great transfer partner... but I did use it often to just conduct minor top-up for redemptions. Its a shame to loose a transfer partner.....
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
For customers, a pretty massive, sudden crack in the wall between Delta and Amex. They have been transfer partners for over 20 years. I hope the decision to end it isn’t being based on a bunch of Zoom calls.
LDNConsultant and ryandc99 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:30 am

Actually I just logged on via my MR to conduct a dummy transfer of 1,000 MR to Delta and it isn't mentioning anywhere in regards of the 8/31/21 ending of their transfer agreement

Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This would be a shock. As noted it's not the best use of MR but it is still a nice option if you need to top-up for a DL redemption -- and it makes the AMEX Platinum the superior earning card over the Reserve because you have the option to transfer to DL or to others. I assume DL makes money on these transfers anyway -- AMEX likely bought a huge chunk of miles as part of their contract renewal so eliminating this eliminates an avenue for those miles to come off the books.

I'll reserve judgement until something more official comes up -- this would signify a major crack in the DL/AMEX relationship and given the fact they just re-signed a 10 year deal in 2019 this would be a major change to their relationship.

I also logged into my AMEX and checked the transfer portal and there was no mention of the transfer arrangement ending.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Duke787
This would be a shock. As noted it's not the best use of MR (but it is still a nice option if you need to top-up for a DL redemption -- and it makes the AMEX Platinum the superior earning card over the Reserve because you have the option to transfer to DL or to others).

I'll reserve judgement until something more official comes up -- this would signify a major crack in the DL/AMEX relationship and given the fact they just re-signed a 10 year deal in 2019 this would be a major change to their relationship.
Realize the Reserve comes with other benefits, but do you not think that the part that was bolded may be viewed as problematic for Delta?

Platinum card provides Skyclub access and earns more points as well as provides more auxiliary benefits. Folks are either awash in MQMs and don't need the boost or need MQDs and the spend waiver for Diamonds is not realistic. Upgrades are much easier than they used to be so the upgrade priority boost (after status and fare class) is not as useful. People in general are re-assessing their travel patterns and whether or not they will maintain status in the future.

I agree it seems petty, but my guess is the travel card industry is going to be in for some interesting disruption depending on what happens with business travel in the coming years.
davedeboston likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:07 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just checked, and I don't see this - US based account. YMMV?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99
I just checked, and I don't see this - US based account. YMMV?
I'm US based and dont see it in my MR
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Actually I just logged on via my MR to conduct a dummy transfer of 1,000 MR to Delta and it isn't mentioning anywhere in regards of the 8/31/21 ending of their transfer agreement

A quote from the link....."Something is, however, changing on August 31, 2021, because select members are seeing a message of transfer partnership from Amex Membership Rewards Points to Delta SkyMiles ending on that date. But, again, it is unclear t which markets this change applies to.

Not everyone is seeing the change....right?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:19 am
formerly atomicfront

If they lost Delta that would be a huge hit to Amex. As Chase has Southwest and United. And that would leave Amex with no US carrier.
cmd320, Duke787 and ab2013 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by catsfroggy1
If they lost Delta that would be a huge hit to Amex. As Chase has Southwest and United. And that would leave Amex with no US carrier.
This would be the biggest issue. With that said, being BA is still an Amex transfer partner, that makes booking award travel on AA very easy. It will be interesting to see if this is the beginning of the end for DL and Amex though.
m.photog likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:34 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
As not everyone sees this, I am updating the title of this thread to "rumor" - As soon as we get official information from Amex please RBP the post and I will update accordingly.

Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Airlines
LoganFlyer and United747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.