Transitting Through Schiphol

Old Jul 12, 2021, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ckx2
It does work both ways. I'm doing this regularly.
Not with a US passport. only EU/EEA passports work when entering. Are you thinking of Privium?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Have done the AMS transfer plenty of times before COVID on KLM/Delta. I’ll take a 1:20 transfer time in Europe over anywhere in the US, even on US domestic to domestic. Someone mentioned you don’t have to go through security at AMS when transferring US to Schengen, when did that change? I’ve always had to go through security after that kind of transfer. When you go Schengen to US, you don’t have to go through security, but you do get a screening at the gate.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VRFast
Have done the AMS transfer plenty of times before COVID on KLM/Delta. Ill take a 1:20 transfer time in Europe over anywhere in the US, even on US domestic to domestic. Someone mentioned you dont have to go through security at AMS when transferring US to Schengen, when did that change? Ive always had to go through security after that kind of transfer. When you go Schengen to US, you dont have to go through security, but you do get a screening at the gate.
Two or three years ago at least for no security for flights from US/CANADA. There's not been gate screening in at least that long. All security is centralized. Either main checkpoint or transfer if not coming from EU/US/CANADA.

Even DL flights no longer have the pre-departure checks from AMS.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the information. The cheapest flight is only ~$5 less than the SLC-AMS-FCO flight and it has a 7hr layover in JFK. I will go ahead and book that flight and then watch for the schedule changes and see if I can move into something better as time goes along.

Just so I am clear about the process in AMS...we would deplane and go through passport control (which has an express lane for tight connections), but maybe/maybe not security? Our bags would be transferred to KLM seamlessly in theory and we would go through customs in Rome.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Spanish Forker

Just so I am clear about the process in AMS...we would deplane and go through passport control (which has an express lane for tight connections), but maybe/maybe not security? Our bags would be transferred to KLM seamlessly in theory and we would go through customs in Rome.
There is no additional baggage security check in AMS for any Europe-AMS-USA or USA-AMS-Europe itineraries.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for all of the information. The cheapest flight is only ~$5 less than the SLC-AMS-FCO flight and it has a 7hr layover in JFK. I will go ahead and book that flight and then watch for the schedule changes and see if I can move into something better as time goes along.

Correct, but definitely no on needing to clear security.* The AMS website can confirm this. I would pay the$5 and be done with it.

*EU considers US/CANADA screening on par with EU screening. Thus as long as airport is setup correctly no need to reclear on flights from US/CANADA.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:07 pm

I agree with what most of the others have said. I would do SLC-AMS-FCO. AMS is an efficient transfer from DL to KL. The most important comment was that if you are booking for next summer, there will be plenty of schedule changes between now and then to get you the ideal flights. Finally, KL has several flights to FCO each day so in the unlikely event that you misconnect, you can get on the next one.

Last edited by vinnmann; Jul 13, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by vinnmann
I agree with what most of the others have said. I would do SLC-AMS-FCO. AMS is an efficient transfer from DL to KL. The most important comment was that if you are booking for next summer, there will be plenty of schedule changes between now and then to get you the ideal flights. Finally, KL has several flights to AMS each day so in the unlikely event that you misconnect, you can get on the next one.
I trust you actually mean "several AMS-FCO flights each day"
Old Jul 13, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jrl767
What, KLM operates more than couple flights a day. This is not possible! /s
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
Yes. Corrected.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the information.

I "booked" my flights this morning on the website. Went through everything, hit complete purchase and I got an error message saying my request couldn't be completed and to try again or call. I tried again online and got the same message except the second time I got a message from AMEX that a large purchase had been approved and the reservation shows up under My Trips. When I go into it to choose seats it won't let me saying that tickets have not been assigned yet. Is this something that has been happening to others? If it continues I will call after work. I have also not received any emails from Delta like typical when booking.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks again for the information.

I "booked" my flights this morning on the website. Went through everything, hit complete purchase and I got an error message saying my request couldn't be completed and to try again or call. I tried again online and got the same message except the second time I got a message from AMEX that a large purchase had been approved and the reservation shows up under My Trips. When I go into it to choose seats it won't let me saying that tickets have not been assigned yet. Is this something that has been happening to others? If it continues I will call after work. I have also not received any emails from Delta like typical when booking.
There is sometimes a lag between booking and the flight actually ticketing. Until it tickets you can't assign seats. It's usually less than an hour but sometimes takes a little longer. Nothing to worry about -- just wait a bit and it should show up. If it hasn't shown up by the afternoon or evening, you should call but no need to do anything until then.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Just a few thoughts about AMS (I just flew yesterday Kyiv-Amsterdam-Seattle [KBP-AMS-SEA]).

1. I do not understand why so many Europe-bound itineraries offered by Delta/ KLM feature dangerously tight connections in Amsterdam. So many itineraries have 50, 55, 60, 65 minute connections. It's enough time if (and that's a big if) the AMS-bound flight is on-time, but leaves little margin for error. I've had a few times where I made the connection but my baggage did not. I wonder why Delta and KLM can't better coordinate schedules; I'd feel a lot better with a 2-hour layover. And with a 2-hour layover, if everything is on time, you can squeeze in a short visit to the Lounge, including, possibly, a shower that will feel good after a transAtlantic flight.

2. I also don't get why transfer passengers coming to AMS from the U.S. do not need to re-clear Security, but passengers from certain other destinations do (as, yesterday, coming from Kyiv). Is this a commentary about reliability of security screening at U.S. airports versus other countries' airports?

3. Give a choice between connecting in AMS vs. CDG, I'd always choose AMS. CDG is subject to labor actions, and in any case AMS is just a nicer airport.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andrewk829
Just a few thoughts about AMS (I just flew yesterday Kyiv-Amsterdam-Seattle [KBP-AMS-SEA]).

1. I do not understand why so many Europe-bound itineraries offered by Delta/ KLM feature dangerously tight connections in Amsterdam. So many itineraries have 50, 55, 60, 65 minute connections. It's enough time if (and that's a big if) the AMS-bound flight is on-time, but leaves little margin for error. I've had a few times where I made the connection but my baggage did not. I wonder why Delta and KLM can't better coordinate schedules; I'd feel a lot better with a 2-hour layover. And with a 2-hour layover, if everything is on time, you can squeeze in a short visit to the Lounge, including, possibly, a shower that will feel good after a transAtlantic flight.

2. I also don't get why transfer passengers coming to AMS from the U.S. do not need to re-clear Security, but passengers from certain other destinations do (as, yesterday, coming from Kyiv). Is this a commentary about reliability of security screening at U.S. airports versus other countries' airports?

3. Give a choice between connecting in AMS vs. CDG, I'd always choose AMS. CDG is subject to labor actions, and in any case AMS is just a nicer airport.
These really don't seem that baffling to me.

1. For high-value customers, travel time matters. Some other airline might offer a non-stop between some city pair, while DL/KLM require a stop. Therefore, to be competitive, they keep the stop as short as possible. It sounds like you've experienced extremely unusual bad luck. Most intercontinental flights, in my experience, arrive a bit early. On-time arrival should not be a "big if". Your comment about why DL and KLM can't coordinate makes no sense. The 1-hour connection is intentional and they achieved that by careful coordination. That is plenty of time for a bag to be moved from one plane to the other.

2. Umm yes, airport security in the US is considered more robust than that in Ukraine. Whether it really is or not, I have no clue, but surely you can understand why that perception might exist.

3. Ya, I prefer AMS too
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by andrewk829

2.Its because the EU considers US/CANADA security to be on par with EU security. I've seen some countries where they push wheelchair passenger through checkpoint. Alarm of course goes off, no pat down. Oh well they're disabled, what could they do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.