Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 7, 22, 12:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: xliioper
Wiki Link
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 5, 21, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AC 50K, Hyatt Ist-iest, Starriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Really not sure inflight catering will ever come back like it was. GateGourmet is laying off 536 workers in California due to lack of business. This comes after LSG Sky Chefs did the same thing last month. They must not see a path forward.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/10/04...orkers-at-lax/
Death spiral... Lack of business due to covid lack of travel, domestic travel resumes and airlines being cheapskates under the name of safety means they still don't bring back catering, the caterers lay tons of people off, and then the airlines will likely blame the caterers saying "we'd love to offer our customers better food, but there's nobody to make it." That's how I see the circle.
dw and DLASflyer like this.
Old Oct 5, 21, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Death spiral... Lack of business due to covid lack of travel, domestic travel resumes and airlines being cheapskates under the name of safety means they still don't bring back catering, the caterers lay tons of people off, and then the airlines will likely blame the caterers saying "we'd love to offer our customers better food, but there's nobody to make it." That's how I see the circle.
It's not just the airlines, it's the whole damn country
Old Oct 6, 21, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
D1 international PDB- peach Bellini

PDB sort-of back in D1 on transoceanic…peach Bellini in plastic cup available today as PDB on my NCE-JFK flight…FA said it just started back up yesterday.

Real glassware used however for drinks at meal time (has been the case in D1 since September).
Old Oct 6, 21, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
PDB sort-of back in D1 on transoceanic…peach Bellini in plastic cup available today as PDB on my NCE-JFK flight…FA said it just started back up yesterday.

Real glassware used however for drinks at meal time (has been the case in D1 since September).
FINALLY!
I have my first D1 transoceanic this week. I cannot wait!
Old Oct 6, 21, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Accor Live Limitless Diamond
ATL-HNL response to Mileageaddict:

Originally Posted by MileageAddict [img]images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/img]
Just received the meal choice email for my upcoming D1 ATL-HNL flight:

BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIB with Cheddar Grits, Shiitake Mushrooms and Asparagus

SPRINGER MOUNTAIN CHICKEN BREAST with duck fat & sumac roasted autumn vegetables and orange jus lie

GOAT CHEESE TORTELLONI* with honey roasted pecans, ras el hanout and sweet & sour butternut squash puree

*Vegetarian Selection
We just flew ATL-HNL as a party of 4 on 10/2. I had the goat cheese tortelloni, which was very tasty. The sauce was the butternut squash puree, and it wasn’t as much of a fat-load as the pasta dishes can sometimes be. Two in my party had the short rib and enjoyed it, noting it was still pink in the middle and not overcooked. One had the chicken and also thought it was not overcooked and had good flavor. Sides on all 4 entrees included warm bread, citrus-butter, and a salad with goat cheese, golden beets, and micro-greens, as well as Häagen-Dazs for dessert. If you’re not a fan of goat cheese, then it can get a little repetitive with goat cheese in the pasta as well as the salad, but I enjoyed it. Other notes, drinks were in glassware, drink carts were used, refills were proactive, there was a snack basket in the galley throughout the flight, and the pre-arrival sandwich was as un-exciting as always. That said, overall a good flight, and the main-meal catering was actually good quality.

simonsuo and Minnyappleus like this.

Last edited by msntriathlete; Oct 6, 21 at 9:48 am Reason: Adding attachments, referencing original post
Old Oct 6, 21, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by msntriathlete View Post
We just flew ATL-HNL as a party of 4 on 10/2. I had the goat cheese tortelloni, which was very tasty. The sauce was the butternut squash puree, and it wasn’t as much of a fat-load as the pasta dishes can sometimes be. Two in my party had the short rib and enjoyed it, noting it was still pink in the middle and not overcooked. One had the chicken and also thought it was not overcooked and had good flavor. Sides on all 4 entrees included warm bread, citrus-butter, and a salad with goat cheese, golden beets, and micro-greens, as well as Häagen-Dazs for dessert. If you’re not a fan of goat cheese, then it can get a little repetitive with goat cheese in the pasta as well as the salad, but I enjoyed it. Other notes, drinks were in glassware, drink carts were used, refills were proactive, there was a snack basket in the galley throughout the flight, and the pre-arrival sandwich was as un-exciting as always. That said, overall a good flight, and the main-meal catering was actually good quality.

That actually looks better and overall more substantial than what HA served on my BOS HNL flight last month
Old Oct 6, 21, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I've been on at least one odd-numbered flight recently where they started from the back with the boxed choices.
They started from the front today on DL735 and only had the charcuterie left by the time they got to row 4-5 (B739). So I now have at least one counterexample too :-/ I had a bite to eat in the SC beforehand though so this didn't matter to me, but those who care might want to aim to sit in the middle of the cabin...
Old Oct 6, 21, 12:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta PM

Continuing that 'didn't steerage used to get that?' trend, wasn't the peach Bellini part of the non-ironically enhanced transatlantic economy service in the later part of 2019?
dw likes this.
Old Oct 6, 21, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Continuing that 'didn't steerage used to get that?' trend, wasn't the peach Bellini part of the non-ironically enhanced transatlantic economy service in the later part of 2019?
Yep: DL Improving International Main Cabin Starting in Nov 2019
Old Oct 6, 21, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Really not sure inflight catering will ever come back like it was. GateGourmet is laying off 536 workers in California due to lack of business. This comes after LSG Sky Chefs did the same thing last month. They must not see a path forward.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/10/04...orkers-at-lax/
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Could the announcement (from Delta, anyways) formalizing DoCo as their caterer going forward have something to do with these above points? While we were informed via press release that DTW would be first in early (-ish) 2021, we were also told other hubs would be switching over. Not saying that the switch to DoCo is the sole reason for the spiralification, but it could be a contributing factor. I'm sure both DoCo and Delta don't want things going sideways during the first year of a 10 year contract. Right?
Old Oct 6, 21, 4:34 pm

Yes! I might get my PDB on my D1 international to MXP next week. I don’t know why I’m so excited, but small wins 😀
Old Oct 6, 21, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtwlarry View Post
Could the announcement (from Delta, anyways) formalizing DoCo as their caterer going forward have something to do with these above points? While we were informed via press release that DTW would be first in early (-ish) 2021, we were also told other hubs would be switching over. Not saying that the switch to DoCo is the sole reason for the spiralification, but it could be a contributing factor. I'm sure both DoCo and Delta don't want things going sideways during the first year of a 10 year contract. Right?
For airports like LAX and SFO, the bulk of the catering op's would be for the international flights where every seat gets a meal (often more than one). The fact that many of these international flights have yet to return or are running with light loads would be the major contributor to the layoffs. DL FC cabin catering out of these airports would be relatively minor in comparison.
dw and findark like this.
Old Oct 6, 21, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.5MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Moderna 3x
Anyone happen to have a photo of the lamb stuffed peppers that are on several of the recent D1 preorder menus handy? It seems like one of those options that could be a great or terrible choice depending on your preferences, and I think a photo might help avoid preorder regret
Old Oct 6, 21, 7:17 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
For airports like LAX and SFO, the bulk of the catering op's would be for the international flights where every seat gets a meal (often more than one). The fact that many of these international flights have yet to return or are running with light loads would be the major contributor to the layoffs. DL FC cabin catering out of these airports would be relatively minor in comparison.
Not to mention that aside from the transcons, all premium cabin catering now are just the sandwich/salad boxes
Old Oct 6, 21, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
Anyone happen to have a photo of the lamb stuffed peppers that are on several of the recent D1 preorder menus handy? It seems like one of those options that could be a great or terrible choice depending on your preferences, and I think a photo might help avoid preorder regret
No pic (apologies), but can attest to it being a bit "meh" on an ATL-FCO. It wasn't bad, per se, as the flavours were okay and it seemed a healthier choice. But the lamb was more of a soupçon than a fact and the portion was rather small... and I'm not a heavy eater. I've avoided since then.
BenA likes this.

Search this Thread