Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 7, 22, 12:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: xliioper
Wiki Link
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 4, 21, 11:17 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Just received the meal choice email for my upcoming D1 ATL-HNL flight:

BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIB with Cheddar Grits, Shiitake Mushrooms and Asparagus

SPRINGER MOUNTAIN CHICKEN BREAST with duck fat & sumac roasted autumn vegetables and orange jus lie

GOAT CHEESE TORTELLONI* with honey roasted pecans, ras el hanout and sweet & sour butternut squash puree

*Vegetarian Selection
Old Oct 4, 21, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Vember View Post

Anyone have any idea what the lead time is these days? Or any knowledge of the int’l dining/drinks situation in general? I’m finding virtually nothing online re. my particular route (does no one from SLC fly to the EU 😆?) but I guess info on other int’l D1 would be helpful. Cheers!
The email notification is a bit inconsistent but the choices will show up in your reservation in the FlyDelta app 7 days prior to departure
Old Oct 4, 21, 1:00 pm

Once again, the catering gremlins struck my flight. I did get DL branded plastic cups for the first time in a month, but they did not cater the new sad boxes, only the old boxes of junk. FA proactively issued 5000 miles to us all, which was fine since the award ticket I was on only cost 5000 miles. Also, they only loaded full size cans of coke products - not sure if that is a change or just all they had.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Oct 4, 21, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
FA proactively issued 5000 miles to us all, which was fine since the award ticket I was on only cost 5000 miles. Also, they only loaded full size cans of coke products - not sure if that is a change or just all they had.
That's pretty lucky, actually. I'd trade one of the boxes for a free flight any day.

Last edited by matchbox20_is; Oct 6, 21 at 11:15 pm
Old Oct 4, 21, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by buckeye91 View Post
I’ve done 4 D1 trips to Europe this year. Got the email 2x about 5 days prior. Other 2 times I got nothing and had to choose going on to my Delta app
That sounds glorious!
Old Oct 4, 21, 6:37 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
SEA-JFK Dinner

Received these options roughly one week to the hour of my flight;

Old Oct 4, 21, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Once again, the catering gremlins struck my flight. I did get DL branded plastic cups for the first time in a month, but they did not cater the new sad boxes, only the old boxes of junk. FA proactively issued 5000 miles to us all, which was fine since the award ticket I was on only cost 5000 miles. Also, they only loaded full size cans of coke products - not sure if that is a change or just all they had.
They still use the big cans on international. (Not sure why they use different sizes) Just a miscaster of product.
Old Oct 4, 21, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by Vember View Post
That sounds glorious!
Oh my goodness - none of it is glorious. Please set your expectations to acceptable at best.
dw likes this.
Old Oct 4, 21, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
Just received the meal choice email for my upcoming D1 ATL-HNL flight:

BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIB with Cheddar Grits, Shiitake Mushrooms and Asparagus

SPRINGER MOUNTAIN CHICKEN BREAST with duck fat & sumac roasted autumn vegetables and orange jus lie

GOAT CHEESE TORTELLONI* with honey roasted pecans, ras el hanout and sweet & sour butternut squash puree

*Vegetarian Selection
If you like beef go for the Short Rib. I had it ATL - CDG and it really good. "Slow cooked" and "braised" dishes do heat up well, in FC when hot meals were being served and if Short Rib was an offering, that would be the one I would get (if still available) and it never disappointed
MileageAddict and ebayj like this.
Old Oct 5, 21, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is View Post
I can't say for sure since the only menu provided was for the entree in the app. FA came around with a QR code for those that hadn't preordered, which might have described more about everything else.

I tried a bit of it, and it tasted like cheesecake with blackberry sauce to me. It was good.
Good. I prefer cheesecake over the tiramisu DL serves sometimes.
Old Oct 5, 21, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Really not sure inflight catering will ever come back like it was. GateGourmet is laying off 536 workers in California due to lack of business. This comes after LSG Sky Chefs did the same thing last month. They must not see a path forward.

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/10/04...orkers-at-lax/
Old Oct 5, 21, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.764MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is View Post
It was Italian Ham Sandwich or Fresh Tomato and Mozzarella on this DFW-LGA flight on a 220. By the time they got to me it was only the ham sandwich left.
IMO the ham sandwich is not as good as the other options.

David
Old Oct 5, 21, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Upcoming flight in F to Central America (~ 4 hr flight). I'm assuming it's simply domestic F, but any idea what the meals will look like? Will it be the sandwich box? Anything regional since it's still an int'l flight?
Old Oct 5, 21, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dmarge18 View Post
Upcoming flight in F to Central America (~ 4 hr flight). I'm assuming it's simply domestic F, but any idea what the meals will look like? Will it be the sandwich box? Anything regional since it's still an int'l flight?
Sandwich box. These flights are domestic F, with bonus you get to clear immigration and customs after flight.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 21, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie View Post
Oh my goodness - none of it is glorious. Please set your expectations to acceptable at best.
I meant the trips to Europe 😀
NotHamSarnie likes this.

Search this Thread