Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lonelygod

JFK-LAX breakfast. Five choices but not inspiring. Will hit centurion and skyclub to maximize my sleep in the air…
Try LAX-HNL, longer flight and only the sad boxed breakfast offered! Of course your flight was a D1, and mine a domestic first, but still.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
OK, so I'm struggling with this one... on flights Sunday and again today from ATL-SLC and v/v, they ran out of sad boxes before they got to me. I really don't understand how this happens. Today sucked because I had only a 35 minute layover in SLC and couldn't get any real food in the airport before getting on the plane... and my departing airport didn't have any open restaurants. So some food would have been nice.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:04 pm

Flew JFK-LAS-JFK on Delta One (767-300 there, 767-400 back) last week and ugh, pretty gross. The mozzarella sandwich was freezing cold (you can see how weirdly dark the arugula in the pic below is, indicating it had been cold to nearly or past frozen at some point). Also who puts mayo on a mozzarella sandwich? I ended up taking one bite before deciding it definitely wasn't worth the calories. Cookie was fine.

On the way back I got the banana bread, which was actually very good but MINISCULE. Should have come with a full size portion of fruit on the side.

LAS-JFK had no pass of the snack basket: we were handed mini pretzels and Biscoff and didn't see the FAs for most of the rest of the flight. On the way back, or friendly FAs walked through the cabin with the full snack basket and let us have as much as we wanted.

Very grateful for the food in SkyClub on my way out of JFK, but I was so hungry when I landed after my early morning return flight that I visited the JFK club on my way out of the airport to grab a banana and biscotti to eat in my cab!

Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:06 pm

Here's the banana bread:

Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Delete
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ohnogo
Flew JFK-LAS-JFK on Delta One (767-300 there, 767-400 back) last week and ugh, pretty gross. The mozzarella sandwich was freezing cold (you can see how weirdly dark the arugula in the pic below is, indicating it had been cold to nearly or past frozen at some point). Also who puts mayo on a mozzarella sandwich? I ended up taking one bite before deciding it definitely wasn't worth the calories. Cookie was fine.

On the way back I got the banana bread, which was actually very good but MINISCULE. Should have come with a full size portion of fruit on the side.

LAS-JFK had no pass of the snack basket: we were handed mini pretzels and Biscoff and didn't see the FAs for most of the rest of the flight. On the way back, or friendly FAs walked through the cabin with the full snack basket and let us have as much as we wanted.

Very grateful for the food in SkyClub on my way out of JFK, but I was so hungry when I landed after my early morning return flight that I visited the JFK club on my way out of the airport to grab a banana and biscotti to eat in my cab!

Problem is that FA didnt pull the boxes out of cooling bags when supposed to. They keep them cold since they double cater flights out of hub.

All meals for both directions come loaded this way. FA pulls them out just before boarding to allow to "warm" up.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Problem is that FA didnt pull the boxes out of cooling bags when supposed to. They keep them cold since they double cater flights out of hub.

All meals for both directions come loaded this way. FA pulls them out just before boarding to allow to "warm" up.
Just curious, how does this work with RONs at outstations? Catered from the hubs the afternoon before and sit in bags with ice all night?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K
flying SEA-JFK right after thanksgiving, noon departure. Any special meal experiences since they re-introduced meals? I feel like playing with fire and ordering the hindu/halal/kosher/asian veg meal LOL

Pre-pandemic (ca. 2017/18), i ordered an asian veg meal on a SFO-SEA flight...thai veg curry....it was AMAZING, extremely flavorful, i still remember it, it was THAT good!.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie

Another flight... another sad box

... this time sandwich frozen solid!
disgraceful…why aren’t more people outraged by this ?! No one in their right mind should be paying for DL F for this crap
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
disgraceful…why aren’t more people outraged by this ?! No one in their right mind should be paying for DL F for this crap
Whats the point of DL still having ovens onboard narrowbodies if they refuse to serve actual hot meals? I have never had good experiences with cold meals onboard DL with the exception of cereal as most of the time the food is essentially served frozen. On my recent two meal flights, I was served a frozen sandwich for Lunch and frozen oatmeal for breakfast. I complained and they threw a canned automated response and some miles my way to shut me up. Absolutely ridiculous that there are no hot meals at this point.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:20 pm

Had one of these sad boxes on SEA -> ANC. The chicken salad sandwich actually tastes pretty good. Not bad for a midnight snack considering I already had salmon and asparagus at the SEA skyclub.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:52 pm

“Breakfast” this morning in D1 LAS-JFK.
Choices were coconut chia oatmeal, banana bread, or fruit cheese cold cut.

Banana bread box contents:
3 small pieces of banana bread … essentially one larger piece sliced three times. The banana bread measured about 2” x 1” x 1/2”.
HALF of a strawberry (Delta can’t afford to give an entire strawberry?!)
About 16 blueberries.
Three wooden spoonfuls of yogurt.
A bag of granola.

Pathetic to say the least.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:44 am

The Sad Boxes

Perhaps a movement to rename the “Sad boxes” the “Sad Ed boxes” could gain some traction and make an impact. Sadly, Ed has chosen to provide boxes which may be more suitable for, and more appropriately served in the main cabin, to his most profitable and most loyal customers in the premium cabin. Just Sad, Ed.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Just curious, how does this work with RONs at outstations? Catered from the hubs the afternoon before and sit in bags with ice all night?
Yes, this is what happened to me over the weekend.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
I'm using up the Delta credits from my canceled trips last year before investigating new options. Unfortunately UA is the only one serving hot food and it flies out of IAD which is too much hassle to get to on public transport. If AA resumes hot meal service (and now that we're guaranteed no 35X departures from DCA), I'm switching. It is indeed a disgrace.
TastyPlaneEats and JBJ2435 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.