Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
LAX-DFW A320. No PDB. FEBO not followed. Superfood grain bowl. The quality of the actual box the food is served in was less than I expected based on other posts. Never seen the Eco Products cups before either. Other choices were prosciutto sandwich or chicken salad sandwich.

SkyClub food was much better. Sweet and spicy chicken, green beans, and roasted potatoes. Italian wedding soup and the usual cold offerings. Better to eat in there.

Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Any clue if menu rotates in October? Having the same menu for over 3 months is tiring. I know the menu better than the purser taking meal orders/verifying preselection.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
And Underachievement keeps on coming

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
LAX-DFW A320. No PDB. FEBO not followed. Superfood grain bowl. The quality of the actual box the food is served in was less than I expected based on other posts. Never seen the Eco Products cups before either. Other choices were prosciutto sandwich or chicken salad sandwich.

SkyClub food was much better. Sweet and spicy chicken, green beans, and roasted potatoes. Italian wedding soup and the usual cold offerings. Better to eat in there.

What genius decided that wooden spoons and plastic cups are ok in F?
TastyPlaneEats and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:52 pm

I have the opportunity to upgrade to PS for ~250 USD on a transatlantic flight therefore I was wondering about any new data points on the food. Is it still basically the same that you‘ll get in main cabin and did they bring back the silverware/glassware? Thanks

Last edited by Bierjunge; Sep 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I don't disagree with your argument but the sound of people scratching at boxes and picking apart wrapped things and plastic packages is so low-rent that considering this in any way first-class is beyond belief and I personally will opt for any airline that doesn't do it.

I won't be buying into it anyway, nor I imagine would many of us who pay for F. As soon as F is filled only with people who are quite happy because they're getting it for free via upgrades, then we'll see a return to proper service.
I would love to share the sentiment, but... honestly? I'm not going to restack my loyalty and back-connect in ORD just to make a point about something which will probably be fixed in a year. Network and schedule is so vastly more important of a concern to me, and I suspect this is the case with most traffic. If you live in a city with multiple equal carriers, more power to you... but the rest of us have restricted choice

That being said, I went back to UA for a trip this month and it's been nice to get hot food again. I do miss UA, but even for that it was again schedule that played a role - DL's service to Hawaii is pitiful by comparison.

Originally Posted by Zorak
I don't know -- it's not super important to me, so it's not like I keep close track. I chose my phrasing deliberately (maybe I know too many lawyers )

i.e. that doesn't mean necessarily that all my other odd-numbered flights failed to observe it, just that I'm not willing to swear either way.
All five of my DL flights with boxes (four of which were odd) were front-to-back, but I was offered all three choices even in the second-to-last row. Suspect it's inconsistent as usual.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Any clue if menu rotates in October? Having the same menu for over 3 months is tiring. I know the menu better than the purser taking meal orders/verifying preselection.
For the boxes? I would be pleasantly surprised (doubtful), but have no inside info.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmhflyer80
I havent seen any updates on the glassware/plates coming back or in use - I saw a few photos of D1 (domestic & international) with glass cups and real plates.

Has anyone received domestic first class with real cups/mugs for drinks or are they still serving the plastic cups and paper mugs? Granted the food boxes are served in boxes, so nothing is plated on real plates, I get that.

Thanks!
I recently had real glasses on flights from MSP-SNA and SLC-MSP. But then a bunch of plastic on other flights.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM PM

Another flight... another sad box

... this time sandwich frozen solid!
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)

Another flight... another sad box

This looks terrible. We need people to shame DL on social media for serving this.

At this point it’s all about DL saving money, not about health and safety.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:22 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
So… do we think the sandwiches are actually frozen and then defrosted before being served… or was this a one off where it somehow wasn’t stored properly in the cart and was inadvertently chilled to the point of being frozen?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by dw
So… do we think the sandwiches are actually frozen and then defrosted before being served… or was this a one off where it somehow wasn’t stored properly in the cart and was inadvertently chilled to the point of being frozen?
It has to be the latter. Most of these boxes contain lettuce which cannot be frozen where I come from.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by dw
FA says the latter. The thing was made in ATL and flown to the outpost for the return flight, sitting on a bunch of ice.

He kindly warmed it up in the oven after I had tried in vain to thaw it by crossing my legs over it. There are, however, no plates on board so it was a delicate operation supervising the sarnie warming in its sad box in the oven. It got a bit warm around the edges, which I nibbled, but the center remained solidly frozen and inedible.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by findark
I would love to share the sentiment, but... honestly? I'm not going to restack my loyalty and back-connect in ORD just to make a point about something which will probably be fixed in a year. Network and schedule is so vastly more important of a concern to me, and I suspect this is the case with most traffic. If you live in a city with multiple equal carriers, more power to you... but the rest of us have restricted choice

That being said, I went back to UA for a trip this month and it's been nice to get hot food again. I do miss UA, but even for that it was again schedule that played a role - DL's service to Hawaii is pitiful by comparison.

All five of my DL flights with boxes (four of which were odd) were front-to-back, but I was offered all three choices even in the second-to-last row. Suspect it's inconsistent as usual.

For the boxes? I would be pleasantly surprised (doubtful), but have no inside info.
No, D1. Boxes have just come online and you can't preselect them. .
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:12 am

ATL- LAS last night 9/27 . First class in 767-400 D1 hard product. Very surprised and a little angry at being handed this snack box on this route. Good grief delta! As someone else mentioned , I think I might I might just buy Y and take the free C+ until who knows.

As an aside , this was my first time in this new configuration and maaan those seats are super hard. I would be miserable crossing an ocean in those.

TastyPlaneEats and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tine Rod
ATL- LAS last night 9/27 . First class in 767-400 D1 hard product. Very surprised and a little angry at being handed this snack box on this route. Good grief delta! As someone else mentioned , I think I might I might just buy Y and take the free C+ until who knows.

As an aside , this was my first time in this new configuration and maaan those seats are super hard. I would be miserable crossing an ocean in those.
Are you talking about DL657? This departs after 9PM which is outside meal window.
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Are you talking about DL657? This departs after 9PM which is outside meal window.
Yes, it was. And that is interesting to know. Thanks for the insight. Had I known , I would have gotten seconds in the lounge, which was actually pretty good last night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.