Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul510
I'm on a SFO-SEA flight in a few weeks in F. This use to be a hot meal flight before than pandemic since DL was trying to compete with AS for Seattle passengers. Will it be a snack box or just choices from the snack basket? 12:20pm departure on a 737-800.

Thanks,

Paul
Do you mean meal box? They have switched from snack box to boxed meals on flights over 900 miles, but I do not think they are serving the meal box on any exception flights under 900 miles (where they used to serve meals) at this point and you will almost certainly just get selections from a common snack basket. The flight listing for this route just shows Snacks, Drinks under Meal Services. Flights which get the meal box will show Breakfast, Lunch, or Dinner under Meal Services. I do not believe they are serving the Market/Bistro snack boxes in FC any more. KTN-SEA flight mentioned a few posts above is almost exactly the same distance (roughly 680 miles) and got snack basket.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 19, 2021 at 5:41 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TATLTAIL
Several flights with the new boxes in the past week-10 days (sorry, no pics).

I don't have the whole set here, but it is sounding like there are three choices for each meal, and the same across all divisions and directions:

Breakfast: charcuterie box, quinoa bowl, (banana bread?)
Lunch: Italian Ham Sandwich, Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich (caprese? I think it should have tomato), Strawberry Chicken Salad
Dinner: Prosciutto Sandwich, Ancient Grain Bowl, (different chicken salad?)

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Any idea when hot meals might return - especially on 1500+ flights? DL seems far behind competitors on their F offering at the moment. Just flew SEA-HNL and got the cold meal box - a complete joke for a 6 hour flight. UA on the redeye return to SFO served a lovely hot meal (Chicken Teriyaki or Pineapple Fried Rice were the options) accompanied with salad, warm pretzel bread and a sorbet in a bowl! Don’t see any reason to fly premium cabin on DL when you have far better options in UA and AS on the West Coast.
Given the level of investment in the boxes, I would be surprised to see a real meal service return before 1Q22, and possibly later than that.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Paul510
I'm on a SFO-SEA flight in a few weeks in F. This use to be a hot meal flight before than pandemic since DL was trying to compete with AS for Seattle passengers. Will it be a snack box or just choices from the snack basket? 12:20pm departure on a 737-800.

Thanks,

Paul
choices from the snack basket
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Any idea when hot meals might return - especially on 1500+ flights? DL seems far behind competitors on their F offering at the moment. Just flew SEA-HNL and got the cold meal box - a complete joke for a 6 hour flight. UA on the redeye return to SFO served a lovely hot meal (Chicken Teriyaki or Pineapple Fried Rice were the options) accompanied with salad, warm pretzel bread and a sorbet in a bowl! Don’t see any reason to fly premium cabin on DL when you have far better options in UA and AS on the West Coast.
Wow that sounds like a pretty solid and satisfying meal on UA!
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I don't have the whole set here, but it is sounding like there are three choices for each meal, and the same across all divisions and directions:

Breakfast: charcuterie box, quinoa bowl, (banana bread?)
Lunch: Italian Ham Sandwich, Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich (caprese? I think it should have tomato), Strawberry Chicken Salad
Dinner: Prosciutto Sandwich, Ancient Grain Bowl, (different chicken salad?)

Given the level of investment in the boxes, I would be surprised to see a real meal service return before 1Q22, and possibly later than that.
The banana bread breakfast option is shown in this post -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33545510-post812.html
From the looks of it, there's also some sort of Coconut granola in the box (looks like it's Wildway Coconut Cashew grain-free granola). The other breakfast options (shown on list) are the charcuterie box and cold Coconut Chia (not Quinoa) oatmeal. On a recent flight, they didn't have oatmeal option catered for breakfast (I suspect it's not one of the popular choices).
findark likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 20, 2021 at 7:42 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by findark
I
I don't disagree with your argument but the sound of people scratching at boxes and picking apart wrapped things and plastic packages is so low-rent that considering this in any way first-class is beyond belief and I personally will opt for any airline that doesn't do it.

I won't be buying into it anyway, nor I imagine would many of us who pay for F. As soon as F is filled only with people who are quite happy because they're getting it for free via upgrades, then we'll see a return to proper service.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 8:26 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Anyone know if a hot meal is being served JFK-PDX in Delta One? The booking says "Dinner" but I have no idea if that means "cold sandwich" or "snack box"
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Anyone know if a hot meal is being served JFK-PDX in Delta One? The booking says "Dinner" but I have no idea if that means "cold sandwich" or "snack box"
This is not a Delta One route. You will see that it is marketed as First Class even if there is D1 equipment involved. It won't be the "snack box" with pre-packaged, shelf-stable products (the Market/Bistro boxes) as DL is no longer serving these in FC on routes over 900 miles. So it will almost certainly be the cold meal box with cold sandwiches/salads for lunch/dinner. DL is currently serving hot meals on a handful of transcon routes, namely, JFK/BOS - SEA/SFO/LAX and DCA-LAX (which are mostly D1, but there are some FC flights on these), but not JFK-PDX.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 21, 2021 at 10:11 pm
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL

JFK-LAX breakfast. Five choices but not inspiring. Will hit centurion and skyclub to maximize my sleep in the air…
Old Sep 22, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
This is not a Delta One route. You will see that it is marketed as First Class even if there is D1 equipment involved. It won't be the "snack box" with pre-packaged, shelf-stable products (the Market/Bistro boxes) as DL is no longer serving these in FC on routes over 900 miles. So it will almost certainly be the cold meal box with cold sandwiches/salads for lunch/dinner. DL is currently serving hot meals on a handful of transcon routes, namely, JFK/BOS - SEA/SFO/LAX and DCA-LAX (which are mostly D1, but there are some FC flights on these), but not JFK-PDX.
Thanks for the info!

A bit baffling to me how they decide a route 33 miles longer than JFK-SEA (ie the same) doesn’t get a hot meal but at least I know now to bring a meal aboard. Had the sandwiches ATL-ANC (another baffling no-hot meal route) and definitely don’t need that again

And yes, I do see that you are correct - it’s marketed as First, not D1.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:48 am

Are you really "baffled" by the fact that the flight with the lower class of service gets a cheaper meal? Really?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Are you really "baffled" by the fact that the flight with the lower class of service gets a cheaper meal? Really?
It’s the same seat at the same price and the same length route. Marketing speak aside, yes I am.

That and when I pinged chat they responded:

”Thank you for patiently waiting. You can enjoy a full chef curated meal. A variety of snacks to choose from. I'll put some note or request for your meal preference.”

and

“It is a hot meal. Is there anything else that I can assist you with?”

So it’s definitely clear as mud. Appreciate your kind and helpful reply!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
It’s the same seat at the same price and the same length route. Marketing speak aside, yes I am.

That and when I pinged chat they responded:

”Thank you for patiently waiting. You can enjoy a full chef curated meal. A variety of snacks to choose from. I'll put some note or request for your meal preference.”

and

“It is a hot meal. Is there anything else that I can assist you with?”

So it’s definitely clear as mud. Appreciate your kind and helpful reply!
Agents are frequently mis-informed, so this is pretty much par for the course (FT is almost always a better source for info as people here have actual experience on the flights). The reason for the hot meals on the other flights is quite simple in that they are competitive routes were DL is duking it out with the likes of B6, AS, AA, and UA and where DL is competing for business flyers (who often book expensive, last minute fares -- you realize not everyone pays the same fares on these flights??). The routes you flew are not really that competitive and are more leisure centric (or they are DL hub captive routes) and DL puts much less priority on them. Corporate contracts may be another significant factor in these decisions (where the revenue potential goes far beyond these routes themselves). Witness UA admitting that pulling out of JFK was a mistake and the losses from pulling out of the airport ended up being far more substantial (due to corporate contracts) than the losses on the flights themselves. Stage length simply comes down further in the list in these decisions.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 22, 2021 at 8:09 am
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Agents are frequently mis-informed, so this is pretty much par for the course (FT is almost always a better source for info as people here have actual experience on the flights). The reason for the hot meals on the other flights is quite simple in that they are competitive routes were DL is duking it out with the likes of B6, AS, AA, and UA and where DL is competing for business flyers (who often book expensive, last minute fares -- you realize not everyone pays the same fares on these flights??). The routes you flew are not really that competitive and are more leisure centric (or they are DL hub captive routes) and DL puts much less priority on them. Corporate contracts may be another significant factor in these decisions (where the revenue potential goes far beyond these routes themselves). Witness UA admitting that pulling out of JFK was a mistake and the losses from pulling out of the airport ended up being far more substantial (due to corporate contracts) than the losses on the flights themselves. Stage length simply comes down further in the list in these decisions.
That makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the detailed reply and explanation!!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Is FEBO still a thing on domestic F for when they serve the boxed meals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.