Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
MSP -JFK. CRJ-900 no ovens, cold options only.

Strawberry chicken salad.

Strawberries were full of flavor, greens were crisp, and chicken was mosit.

Completely satisfied for a short hop. Only criticism are the bamboo eco friendly utensils; they were rough and I thought I may get a splinter in my mouth.

Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JetOutTonight

Strawberry chicken salad.

Strawberries were full of flavor, greens were crisp, and chicken was mosit.

Completely satisfied for a short hop. Only criticism are the bamboo eco friendly utensils; they were rough and I thought I may get a splinter in my mouth.
Well, this is exactly what they serve on the long hops too. No difference between an aircraft with ovens or not, no hot food in domestic F.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
I’ll be on this route a handful of times in the coming months. I’m still bitter they swapped in a CR9 from the A220 that was scheduled to fly earlier this summer… Food would be the same either way I guess… at least it’s a small step forward from the Market and Bistro Box!

Are most routes over 900 miles getting “Premium Boxes” at this point!?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Many of the CRJ-900s have ovens.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
I’ll be on this route a handful of times in the coming months. I’m still bitter they swapped in a CR9 from the A220 that was scheduled to fly earlier this summer… Food would be the same either way I guess… at least it’s a small step forward from the Market and Bistro Box!

Are most routes over 900 miles getting “Premium Boxes” at this point!?
No, it's just currently hub-to-hub routes between 900-1500 miles at this point. They just started on 8/24. They are adding meals for more 900+ mile routes on 8/31 and 9/14. It appears all 900+ mile routes will have the meals by 9/14.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:01 pm

I’m pretty depressed. I flew my outbound TATL in AF, and the food was plenty and delicious in business class. They had stellar wine and champagne, many courses of meals, and warm bread. The service was fantastic.

Alas, due to endless schedule changes, I now have to have my inbound TATL on Delta.

Based on the reports here, the food does not look too great, compared to KL or AF?

What do they offer on the flight from AMS to ATL? Is there any nice champagne or wine?
Old Aug 25, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
DL2796 MSP-ANC 8/25/21. First class was offered chicken salad sandwich or quinoa grain bowl.

I opted for the grain bowl. Unfortunately it had some disgusting dressing mixed in that gave it a tart sour taste. Tasted stale, and it was warm/hot like it sat outside half the day. Also had flatbread and a sea salt chocolate. Flight leader claimed they aren't allowed to serve hot food now due to pandemic. He also gave a warning he said 'i'm not going to lie, these boxes are kind of gross'.

Quinoa grain bowl

In this instance I think I'd of just preferred the market snack box. Seems like the hot food options aren't coming back for awhile. Glad I ate at the PGA MSP before the flight.

Comfort+ and main cabin received pretzels, or biscoff cookies. Food for purchase was the 2 snack boxes.

Last edited by Tony King; Aug 25, 2021 at 9:33 pm
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Only criticism are the bamboo eco friendly utensils; they were rough and I thought I may get a splinter in my mouth.
​​​​​Maybe it's just a matter of my not being accustomed to it, but eating with wooden utensils just feels weird (also paper straws). It feels/tastes like I'm using a tongue depressor, or those small wooden spoons that are sometimes used for Italian ice.
findark and DCAhome like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:07 am

Pre-select meals for D1 AMS-ATL next week on 09/02.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smartytravel
I’m pretty depressed. I flew my outbound TATL in AF, and the food was plenty and delicious in business class. They had stellar wine and champagne, many courses of meals, and warm bread. The service was fantastic.

Alas, due to endless schedule changes, I now have to have my inbound TATL on Delta.

Based on the reports here, the food does not look too great, compared to KL or AF?

What do they offer on the flight from AMS to ATL? Is there any nice champagne or wine?
To be fair, there's never been nice champagne or wine on Delta
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
(Dumb) Domestic FC “Lunch” Question

Please don’t attack and tell me to search or read the sticky about service changes - I did so. I’m sure this is a dumb question and I’ll get flamed, but here goes:
I’m on DL 390 ATL-SLC this Saturday in FC (it’s an A330 but obviously domestic FC, not D1). Meal service is listed as “Snacks, Drinks, Lunch” and when you click on the link, it takes you to a page showing a picture of a traditional, plated, hot domestic FC lunch, with an appropriate description. Yet, when you read about Delta’s in-flight service offerings, they say that 900+ Mile flights get a First Class snack box.
Asking only because I’m a vegetarian and, in the “before time”, they would have two options, one of would had meat integrated and the other was either meat free, or had meat that was easily removable. If their really IS a lunch, I’d like to ask the lead FA as I board if I could have the option that is more “meat-free”, rather than wait until they get to me (I’ve had them run out in the past).
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will be a boxed lunch. Not sure if there is a vegetarian boxed option (I believe there might be a vegetarian quinoa bowl option looking at some previous posts). DL started offering boxed meals on hub-to-hub FC flights between 900 - 1500 miles starting on 8/24 (they've been adding it to 1500+ mile FC flights since 7/28). Additional routes between will 900-1500 miles will be added on 8/31 and 9/14.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 26, 2021 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by xliioper
It will be a boxed lunch (sandwich or salad). Not sure if there is a vegetarian boxed option. DL started offering boxed meals on hub-to-hub FC flights between 900 - 1500 miles starting on 8/24. Additional routes between will 900-1500 miles will be added on 8/31 and 9/14.
To add, there are pictures of the salad and sandwiches in the Food thread (start at the end and scroll back a few pages).

If you don't like what you see, bring your own food.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In my flights there have been three choices, of which at least one was vegetarian.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by xliioper
It will be a boxed lunch. Not sure if there is a vegetarian boxed option (I believe there might be a vegetarian quinoa bowl option looking at some previous posts). DL started offering boxed meals on hub-to-hub FC flights between 900 - 1500 miles starting on 8/24 (they've been adding it to 1500+ mile FC flights since 7/28). Additional routes between will 900-1500 miles will be added on 8/31 and 9/14.
thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.