Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by buckeye91
Had Ben and Jerry’s on my Aug 11 flight ATL-CDG, cookie dough I think
Have had it every flight this month from ATL. I like BJ CD, but it's getting old.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinu Medallion, Delta Reserve Card, IHG Spire Ambassador, Chase Sapphire Preferred

D1 ATL-CDG Dinner: Cheese Lasagna early August 2021

D1 ATL-CDG Breakfast: An egg dish (I didn't like it) along with sausage. Early August 2021

I don't fly D1 often (I have a couple of times with flash sales), but the last time was 2019. I noticed a few differences:
1. No pre-flight drink of anything (warm bottled water at the seat)
2. No printed menus
3. No appetizer service
4. No dessert service.
5. I didn't drink wine but liquor was served in mini bottles.

I still slept well (hard not to in the suites), but the food service left a lot to be desired. I don't think I would purchase these seats again unless there was an incredible deal (or flash sale). I felt like the meals I ate more closely resembled the economy meals pre-Covid. It's still hard for me to understand why they do not provide printed menus - it was hard knowing what wines they had, breakfast choices, etc. So then you have to ask the flight attendant which initiates contact. That was odd to me. Anyway, I checked this thread frequently prior to my flight so I thought I would return the favor.
pjs, dw, metalblaze and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinu Medallion, Delta Reserve Card, IHG Spire Ambassador, Chase Sapphire Preferred

D1 AMS-ATL Dinner: Beef Tenderloin mid-August 2021. It tasted better than it looked although the beef was a bit dry. The coconut curry soup was really good.

D1 AMS-ATL Lunch: Cheeseburger mid-August 2021. It was decent.

Last edited by stringcheese; Aug 15, 2021 at 6:19 pm Reason: wrong dates
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stringcheese

D1 ATL-CDG Dinner: Cheese Lasagna early August 2021

D1 ATL-CDG Breakfast: An egg dish (I didn't like it) along with sausage. Early August 2021

I don't fly D1 often (I have a couple of times with flash sales), but the last time was 2019. I noticed a few differences:
1. No pre-flight drink of anything (warm bottled water at the seat)
2. No printed menus
3. No appetizer service
4. No dessert service.
5. I didn't drink wine but liquor was served in mini bottles.

I still slept well (hard not to in the suites), but the food service left a lot to be desired. I don't think I would purchase these seats again unless there was an incredible deal (or flash sale). I felt like the meals I ate more closely resembled the economy meals pre-Covid. It's still hard for me to understand why they do not provide printed menus - it was hard knowing what wines they had, breakfast choices, etc. So then you have to ask the flight attendant which initiates contact. That was odd to me. Anyway, I checked this thread frequently prior to my flight so I thought I would return the favor.
I believe that drink selection is available on IFE. (never looked to verify).

Ice cream (dessert) is included on tray.

Appetizer has disappeared on a number of airlines.

PDB isn't on offer currently.

All in all, it's pathetic for J cabin. I find fact get plastic cups really weird when otherwise get dishware.

100% agree the egg dish is weird. I didnt realize it was egg at first. Also sausage is very, very spicy. (Chorizo sausage I found out)
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
DL 301: SFO to MSP
August 15, 2021
Boeing 737-900, Lunch

I'll grudgingly admit that Delta is at least trying to serve us "food" now, and go back to posting my flights.

It was an interesting crew - lots of rather crass yelling in the galley, but the pax-facing service was actually some of the best I've seen in the past several years: many passes through the cabin, and a personalized thank-you to each pax as they put things away for final. Meal choices were described as "chicken salad with strawberry", "Italian ham sandwich" (probably the prosciutto from above), and "tomato and mozzarella sandwich" (I assume caprese?). The salad was decent for what it was, although the boxes are still better suited for a Snack.

Salad was mixed greens, chicken, strawberry, feta, nuts (forget which), with olive oil/balsamic dressing bottle.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Trying?

Originally Posted by findark
DL 301: SFO to MSP
August 15, 2021
Boeing 737-900, Lunch

I'll grudgingly admit that Delta is at least trying to serve us "food" now, and go back to posting my flights.

It was an interesting crew - lots of rather crass yelling in the galley, but the pax-facing service was actually some of the best I've seen in the past several years: many passes through the cabin, and a personalized thank-you to each pax as they put things away for final. Meal choices were described as "chicken salad with strawberry", "Italian ham sandwich" (probably the prosciutto from above), and "tomato and mozzarella sandwich" (I assume caprese?). The salad was decent for what it was, although the boxes are still better suited for a Snack.

Salad was mixed greens, chicken, strawberry, feta, nuts (forget which), with olive oil/balsamic dressing bottle.
I guess I have trouble with the phrase that Delta is "at least trying". Maybe the operative word is "least"...in the sense that they are doing the least possible.
fly747first, Aloha1, demkr and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
in the sense that they are doing the least possible.
As compared to the boxed pretzels we have been suffering for the past year-plus, I would not say these new boxes are the "least possible". I have at least stopped routinely self-catering a meal from the terminal. Obviously they could be much better, but it is an improvement nonetheless.
AeRoSpaceman and sarahnf like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by findark
As compared to the boxed pretzels we have been suffering for the past year-plus, I would not say these new boxes are the "least possible". I have at least stopped routinely self-catering a meal from the terminal. Obviously they could be much better, but it is an improvement nonetheless.
And hey at least DL brought ice back. For over a year DL kept lying when no other airline ever stopped providing ice in Y, let alone F or J on premium transcon markets.
dw and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
My flight from MSP to ANC this coming Saturday is now listed as “snack.”
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
On my ATL-AMS flight a few days ago, only the pasta meal available because the chicken meal "has been recalled". Huh?
We were in C+ so it also impacted Y. Not sure if the passengers in F got their chicken option.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
On my ATL-AMS flight a few days ago, only the pasta meal available because the chicken meal "has been recalled". Huh?
We were in C+ so it also impacted Y. Not sure if the passengers in F got their chicken option.
We only had pasta option in coach on ATL-CDG flight on 8/11. There was no explanation other than catering issues.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by stringcheese

D1 AMS-ATL Dinner: Beef Tenderloin mid-August 2021. It tasted better than it looked although the beef was a bit dry. The coconut curry soup was really good.

D1 AMS-ATL Lunch: Cheeseburger mid-August 2021. It was decent.
Guess to each his own. On AMS-JFK now, got the tenderloin. Thought it was horrible. Overcooked and chewy. The curry soup was horrid. Salad was a let down.

On a higher note, few from FLR-AMS on KLM Cityhopper to connect this am. Had a solid breakfast with coffee served in an actual coffee cup
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:40 am
pjs

Originally Posted by esc2476
My flight from MSP to ANC this coming Saturday is now listed as “snack.”
MSP-FAI Thursday went from DINNER to SNACK a few weeks ago when they moved back the date for Alaska catering. I got a couple of $50 vouchers for complaining.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by pjs
MSP-FAI Thursday went from DINNER to SNACK a few weeks ago when they moved back the date for Alaska catering. I got a couple of $50 vouchers for complaining.
The new Delta! Buy high, fly low
pjs and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by buckeye91
Guess to each his own. On AMS-JFK now, got the tenderloin. Thought it was horrible. Overcooked and chewy. The curry soup was horrid. Salad was a let down.

On a higher note, few from FLR-AMS on KLM Cityhopper to connect this am. Had a solid breakfast with coffee served in an actual coffee cup
the tenderloin has always been anywhere from inedible to passable ... never something I would ever enjoy eating (this is pre-covid)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.