Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood/Marriott Gold, AA, DL
D1 Menu AMS-SEA - Latest offering

This is what is being offered on my flight this Friday from AMS-SEA. Any thoughts on what is good and what to stay away from? How good can the fish actually be on a plane?

Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by awinner
This is what is being offered on my flight this Friday from AMS-SEA. Any thoughts on what is good and what to stay away from? How good can the fish actually be on a plane?

I had the pasta last week. Wasnt great, wasn’t terrible. FA serving my aisle put down the tray and didn’t come back until it was time to take it away again, and offered no refills after the one and only beverage service. Luckily one of the other D1 FAs was better intentioned and happily offered refills and apologized for the declines in service and use of plastic cups.

Old Aug 2, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Any recent experience with the international D1 red wine? Still the same mediocre quality or did this also suffer the COVID cost cutting excuse?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeye91
Any recent experience with the international D1 red wine? Still the same mediocre quality or did this also suffer the COVID cost cutting excuse?
There are a few posts upthread about getting this wine on flights -- https://www.wine.com/product/duckhor...n-2016/517513#
There's a post of a wine cart from early July here (can't make out any of the labels) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33395605-post15.html
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:30 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Contradancer
Wouldn't surprise me if what's going on now is another permanent downgrade. Time will tell.
I think the US 3 definitely had the opportunity to use the pandemic as an excuse to implement permanent downgrades (and pretty significant ones) in domestic F catering- AA pretty much said as much last year and we can read DL’s intentions from their actions. But then UA came along and announced a restoration of hot meals (though I think it’s debatable whether the meals themselves are the same as pre-covid or a slight downgrade). At the same time, AA has apparently been getting a lot of pushback from their pilots (who eat the same thing as F passengers), and is now frantically trying to restore hot meal service in F. At least for now, unless DL wants to go it alone, it seems like the drastic downgrades AA and DL probably would have liked to implement are not going to happen.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dw
I think the US 3 definitely had the opportunity to use the pandemic as an excuse to implement permanent downgrades (and pretty significant ones) in domestic F catering- AA pretty much said as much last year and we can read DL’s intentions from their actions. But then UA came along and announced a restoration of hot meals (though I think it’s debatable whether the meals themselves are the same as pre-covid or a slight downgrade). At the same time, AA has apparently been getting a lot of pushback from their pilots (who eat the same thing as F passengers), and is now frantically trying to restore hot meal service in F. At least for now, unless DL wants to go it alone, it seems like the drastic downgrades AA and DL probably would have liked to implement are not going to happen.
Honestly pre-Scott UA was offering the best domestic meals and the most generous meal windows. Once Scott took over they slashed the windows and started offering pretty poor options on shorter flights outside of dinner hours. The current hub-hub meal offerings and windows, if expanded to the whole network, would represent an upgrade from the post-Scott pre-COVID days IMO and considerably better than anything offered on an equivalent AA or DL flight.

Delta is now essentially serving in D1 what UA is serving on their hub-hub flights and otherwise the sad boxes are just that, sad. I don't really see any reason to buy a domestic F ticket on DL over AA or UA these days. There is absolutely nothing about the product that stands out to be as being better in any way.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
There are a few posts upthread about getting this wine on flights -- https://www.wine.com/product/duckhor...n-2016/517513#
There's a post of a wine cart from early July here (can't make out any of the labels) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33395605-post15.html
Thanks

Your first link takes you to wine.com and a 2016 Duckhorn Cab. Wouldn’t it be great to have that offered in D1?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeye91
Thanks

Your first link takes you to wine.com and a 2016 Duckhorn Cab. Wouldn’t it be great to have that offered in D1?
I'm afraid I don't know much about wine. I just linked to the 2016 Duckhorn Cab because that's what people reported being offered in a domestic JFK-LAX D1 flight and an international BCN-JFK D1 flight.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33426753-post160.html

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 2, 2021 at 9:01 am
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:03 pm

Can confirm it was available on JFK-LAX a couple weeks ago. I was gobsmacked. A shame they can only be served in plastic cups.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by bruininabag
Can confirm it was available on JFK-LAX a couple weeks ago. I was gobsmacked. A shame they can only be served in plastic cups.
I've anticipated the plastic cup move and on my next F flight I expect to bring my own cut glass tumbler to dump my drink into.

Should I also bring my own fresh cut twists? How about ice, can I expect that in my cup?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
While Ed continues on his mission to take DL from "best in class" to "worst in class", UA is now offering Y customers the option to pre order food and drinks (albeit for $). Hot food. Remember that? This is now beyond ridiculous.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
D1 jfk - anc

I'm flying JFK ANC at the end of the month on a 767-300 in D1, both ways. Any idea what the the food offerings are? If crap, I'll buy something in T4 to go.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TurfGuy
I'm flying JFK ANC at the end of the month on a 767-300 in D1, both ways. Any idea what the the food offerings are? If crap, I'll buy something in T4 to go.
To be clear, you're flying domestic First, not Delta One. Just happens that you'll be using a plane where F will get lie flats.

Unless something changes, you'll get snack boxes.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
My return today from RNO to ATL went from “breakfast” to snack and even that was a fail. They short-catered the inbound flight and only had the bistro box to pass out. Delta is certainly “rising”.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
If you have the Delta AMEX reserve card and some time before your flight, make sure you check out the AMEX Centurion Club which is between the A and B concourses in the shopping mall part of T4. Plenty of good food and drink in there. Best airport lounge I've been to in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.