Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Current 2021 First Class meal service status -- Current FC meal service consists of cold meal boxes with the exception of JFK-SEA and BOS-SEA/SFO FC marketed flights which receive hot meal service. This includes both domestic and international DL FC marketed flights. Otherwise, only D1 marketed flights receive hot meals. All flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM receive meal service in FC. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

There have been no official announcements from DL concerning when hot meals will return to FC, however, it is rumored it will return Q1 2022.

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2021 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:07 pm

DL846 B767-400ER ATL-SEA 12/4/21
Dinner options were "short rib sandwich", "spicy charcuterie plate", or "buckwheat noodle salad" (no devices menu offered). Went with the buckwheat noodle salad which was tasty. I personally love the wasabi peas as well. Pumpkin bread was terrible. Every 20-30 minutes flight attendants would come through with a tray of goldfish, biscoff, and small water bottles. Phenomenal crew.

Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:10 pm

DL1554 IND-ATL A321 12/4/21
Single drink service followed by each passenger getting both goldfish and Biscoff. Goldfish's best by date was today (flew yesterday) so I wonder how long they've been sitting in a warehouse...

Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by TastyPlaneEats
Hungry-man gives two pieces of steak unlike the cheapskates at Delta!!
The "cheapskates" at Delta? They are incredibly generous to their shareholders.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL (former NWA) PM
Originally Posted by The Situation
Options on a 1,000 skywest flight for lunch were turkey sandwich, roast beef sandwich, or veggie bowl. I had the roast beef and it was awful and made worse because it was partially frozen. Meal orders were taken by status - certainly the first time I have seen that on OO. Medallions on complimentary upgrades (6), followed by paid F (1), then nonrev (4) and 1 empty seat.
Paid F should always have first choice, this is a huge revenue miss.
sspontak and SDQBound like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by BenA
I'm not usually one to troll with comparisons like this, but the sponge-cake-chocolate-brownie-thing in the corner really made the comparison too perfect not to make:

I would be more than happy with that Hungry Man meal on DL if was heated and plated properly (Just add a roll or some bread). Love me some Salisbury Steak.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I would be more than happy with that Hungry Man meal on DL if was heated and plated properly (Just add a roll or some bread). Love me some Salisbury Steak.
I actually was served Salisbury Steak by... SQ, of all airlines, via Book The Cook in W. Not sure what they were thinking for a premium cabin, but it wasn't too bad - just a little dry reheated in the aircraft oven.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

LIH-LAX

Was supposed to post this earlier, but later than never. Was back in Nov, LIH-LAX red-eye - so dissapointed with DL's service using current pandemic as an excuse
Salmon with quinoa. - it was not bad, but a warm meal would have been much more appreciated

Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Man, this thread is really bumming me out. We're connecting from an international flight in JFK to DEN on Christmas day, arriving late at night, before continuing on the next day to our destination. I've discovered that there will be nothing open in DEN when we land, and none of the airport hotels will offer anything either, so we pretty much have to survive on whatever DL feeds us on JFK-DEN, and from what I see here it's going to be a pretty bleak night.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by alanw
Man, this thread is really bumming me out. We're connecting from an international flight in JFK to DEN on Christmas day, arriving late at night, before continuing on the next day to our destination. I've discovered that there will be nothing open in DEN when we land, and none of the airport hotels will offer anything either, so we pretty much have to survive on whatever DL feeds us on JFK-DEN, and from what I see here it's going to be a pretty bleak night.
I mean ATL-LAX in first only gets a sad box. The problem is DLs product is terrible at this point but where I fly from UA and AA always seem to be delayed enough you miss your connection (and every flight needs a connection).
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
you are going to want to buy something to eat at JFK
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton
Actually it is disgusting what Delta has on offer! Every other legacy carrier offers a HOT MEAL on that route across the continent. And the other US legacy carriers are already bad compared to Europe, Africa and Asia.
demkr, krazykanuck and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I got a taste of non-DL this weekend. Flew AC J from SNA-YVR (1100 miles) and back. Choice of two hot options for each meal, breakfast one way and lunch the other. On real plates, with real glasses. The food was perfectly decent and edible by airplane standards. Even AA J LAX-DFW, the sandwich, salad, side, and dessert was more robust than DL's offering. It was pretty similar to the "Delta One" meal I was served on BOG-JFK that I posted in this thread a few weeks ago.

I have my last few DL segments of the year coming up in the next week, but I doubt anything will depart from the norms in this thread.
dw and TastyPlaneEats like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:11 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold

D1 tonight DL105 ATL-GRU

Preordered the crab cakes (exclusive to preorder). I posted menu choices last week, look above.

im still not a fan of the single tray approach but this dish was AMAZING. Crab cakes were wonderful, bread was warm and honey chilli butter was sweet and soft. Every part of this dish worked. And crab cakes aren’t something easily over baked so it’s a recipe that is logical/compatible. DL needs more meals like this.

Cabin crew was also incredibly attentive. It was like flying the old Delta. They constantly roamed aisles filled glasses and promptly took away trays/trash. I think I got 5 refills. It was almost too much attention.

Wins like this go a long way for Delta.
Hoyaheel, hi55us and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM PM
D1 JFK - DUB. The usual 3 choices plus 2 NY specials - I chose the Cioppino. It was less brothy than a Cioppino should be, with 3 large pieces of fish on the plate. 2 of the 3 were tasty, the other too fishy. Overall the dish is successful. Soup (some kind of corn thing) was only lukewarm and just ok. Salad was ok - the big radish slices were good. Bread good, not frozen but would have been better warm. Champagne and San Pellegrino served in glass tumblers, wasn't offered refill on either but asked and got. Good NY-based crew. Ice-cream a completely unfitting dessert for December. DL still cheaping out on everything.

Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by Utskicat

D1 tonight DL105 ATL-GRU

Preordered the crab cakes (exclusive to preorder). I posted menu choices last week, look above.

im still not a fan of the single tray approach but this dish was AMAZING. Crab cakes were wonderful, bread was warm and honey chilli butter was sweet and soft. Every part of this dish worked. And crab cakes aren’t something easily over baked so it’s a recipe that is logical/compatible. DL needs more meals like this.

Cabin crew was also incredibly attentive. It was like flying the old Delta. They constantly roamed aisles filled glasses and promptly took away trays/trash. I think I got 5 refills. It was almost too much attention.

Wins like this go a long way for Delta.
This food actually looks good. I also agree on the single tray approach.
The one bad thing about your post is that this isn't consistent service on other D1 routes. The level/quality of food is very hit and miss according to reports on this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.