Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First vs. Delta One to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
UA would definitely be a better option right now as they also check your Hawaii COVID docs before boarding and give you a wristband to skip the lines upon arrival into Hawaii (obviously this 99% likely won’t be a factor by next May with no more COVID Safe Travels restrictions). DL makes all their pax wait in the 1+ hour lines upon arrival as they don’t check any COVID documents before departure.
When I flew to Honolulu Dec 1, 2021 Delta checked our Covid-19 documents in SLC and gave us wrist bands there prior to our arrival in Honolulu
ebayj and jetsfan92588 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk and the DL Forum, Bill Hazelton
Looking forward to your continuing participation
Obscure2k
DL Moderator
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Bill Hazelton
When I flew to Honolulu Dec 1, 2021 Delta checked our Covid-19 documents in SLC and gave us wrist bands there prior to our arrival in Honolulu
Can anyone confirm if this is standard procedure right now? I have a 5 hour layover in HNL in several weeks and would like to leave the airport. I didn't know about any of these requirements, but want to temper my expectations if wristbands are still required and delta is not issuing then pre-arrival.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:55 pm

Wristbands are not required, they're just an alternative to waiting in line (potentially, and potentially for a while, depending on time of arrival / other flights / etc) to have your vaccination or negative test status screened on arrival in HNL.

I can't speak to whether Delta is still doing wristbands at SLC, if that's your departure airport; so I'll defer to someone with recent SLC experience.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Bumping this since I'm flying Delta one soon to HNL.

Will this be like flying Delta One on an international flight as far as getting an actual meal and being able to preselect it and I'm assuming bedding has returned to D1 (this is my first time flying D1 since covid and first time flying D1 ever domestically).

I'm connecting at MSP. I heard the LAX skyclub make an announcement a couple weeks ago telling people getting their docs checked. Does MSP offer this at the skyclub without waiting in a long at HNL and how far in advance will they check the docs or can they do it as soon as you check in (I have a two hour layover and would like to check out the Escape lounge).

One really nice thing about this flight is I'm connecting in ATL and they are using an a350 with flatbeds between ATL and DTW. Just wish they still had showers at the skyclub.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm connecting at MSP.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm connecting in ATL
Are you flying DTW-ATL-MSP-HNL?

In any case, you will be fed two hot meals on MSP/ATL-HNL and you should be able to choose your first entre. I just did the reverse three days ago and posted the menu here.

You should expect an amenity kit and proper pillow and duvet on the flight, based on what I had on MSP-HNL.

As for the wristband, my strong suggestion is to be persistent and take ownership of getting one if at all possible before your flight and if this means skipping time in the Escape lounge, so be it. Ask at the SkyClub and the departure gate until you get one. AA and WN use the same center concourse as DL in HNL so there's no telling how long the queues will be to get SafeTravels-verified at HNL, plus there have been screener shortages due to the recent COVID surge causing even more delays.

Note that if you are originating your trip from DTW (or any airport with a SkyClub) you get access there as well. Delta One and Sky Club access - limited or entire itinerary?
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 23, 2022 at 8:27 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Are you flying DTW-ATL-MSP-HNL?

In any case, you will be fed two hot meals on MSP/ATL-HNL and you should be able to choose your first entre. I just did the reverse three days ago and posted the menu here.

You should expect an amenity kit and proper pillow and duvet on the flight, based on what I had on MSP-HNL.

As for the wristband, my strong suggestion is to be persistent and take ownership of getting one if at all possible before your flight and if this means skipping time in the Escape lounge, so be it. Ask at the SkyClub and the departure gate until you get one.

Note that if you are originating your trip from DTW (or any airport with a SkyClub) you get access there as well. Delta One and Sky Club access - limited or entire itinerary?
Thanks! Sorry flying DTW/MSP/HNL and returning HNL/ATL/DTW

I have an Am Ex reserve so will have skyclub access regardless. Hopefully I can get the wristband at MSP skyclub. If they are giving them out at LAX, I'm sure MSP is since HNL is a Delta one flight from MSP and not from LAX.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The following thread would have any reports of issuance at MSP: Does Delta issue the covid 'safe travels' wristbands (HI)?

As far as the HNL SkyClub, it gets a little crowded with the ATL and MSP passengers sharing the space before the ATL flight boards. If you've never had mochi ice cream, I highly recommend finding the cooler across from the bar (where chips and other to-go snacks are) and try the offerings from Bubbies (local Hawaiian place). They had vanilla, coffee, strawberry, and blood orange flavors. I'm partial to the Dole Whip that is at the HNL United Club but this was a close second.
jamesteroh likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 23, 2022 at 8:51 pm
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:31 am
cnh

Programs: Hilton Honors (Team Member)
Sorry if this is a slightly different topic than what's been discussed here, I just don't want to clog the board up with a new thread and this seems like the best currently existing one. I posted this question on the general Hawaii forum but haven't gotten any answers. I'll be flying from ORD to ATL on 11/10, and then the following day flying ATL to HNL. Someone mentioned on this other thread that one could book a much cheaper First Class flight with connections, and there is a fairly significant chance a schedule change will occur that will let me get onto the ATL-HNL nonstop flight in Delta One without needing to use more miles.

I booked ATL-SEA-HNL for 75k (lowest available for first class that day) miles on 11/11. The SEA connection is 1h 09m. Am I understanding correctly that there is a good chance between now and November 11th that enough of a schedule change will occur that will get me on ATL-HNL Delta One?

The nonstop flight is currently 110k miles otherwise.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by cnh
Sorry if this is a slightly different topic than what's been discussed here, I just don't want to clog the board up with a new thread and this seems like the best currently existing one. I posted this question on the general Hawaii forum but haven't gotten any answers. I'll be flying from ORD to ATL on 11/10, and then the following day flying ATL to HNL. Someone mentioned on this other thread that one could book a much cheaper First Class flight with connections, and there is a fairly significant chance a schedule change will occur that will let me get onto the ATL-HNL nonstop flight in Delta One without needing to use more miles.

I booked ATL-SEA-HNL for 75k (lowest available for first class that day) miles on 11/11. The SEA connection is 1h 09m. Am I understanding correctly that there is a good chance between now and November 11th that enough of a schedule change will occur that will get me on ATL-HNL Delta One?

I would say fair chance but not good chance.maybe 50-50. More and more flights are coming back now. Others may have different views.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cnh

I wouldn't risk it. Not sure if Delta has to put you on the non-stop anyway since it's Delta One and you paid for First. A one hour and 9 minute connection should be plenty of time seeing you won't be needing the wrist band any longer.

You may be able to SDC as well at t-24 if there are seats available. I flew DTW/MSP/HNL last week and returned HNL/ATL/DTW and both flights Delta one was booked a few weeks prior when I checked and going out there was a long upgrade list with zero seats and returning same thing but then 3 seats opened up at the last minute in Delta one so people may have SDC
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:05 am

You can't SDC from a connection to a nonstop
Old Mar 22, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did Delta one last week DTW/MSP/HNL going and HNL/ATL/DTW coming back.

HNL skyclub is really nice for a small club. No luxury bar but they had some cool drinks like Blue Hawaiins and Mai Thais and margaritas.

Wasn't too impressed with what I paid for the ticket.

Only PDB was some cheap sparkling wine served in a plastic cup like what they used in domestic coach and no OJ or other option was available. They don't have duty to worry about like international and boarded through door 2L and both flights I asked for an OJ or Diet coke and was told only the wine was available. Would really stink for someone with addiction issues. There was a bottled water on the return at the seat but not the outbound. Just through that was really cheap seeing how much I paid for that ticket.

They've even gotten cheaper with the kits. In the past with the Tumi kits if I didn't open them I would take them and donate them. These were so cheap I'd be embarrassed to donate them. They are using some cheap generic toothpaste and I hate the toothbrush they are using now and no tissues or socks. My outbound kit was missing the ear plugs, I thought maybe that was another cutback and didn't say anything but they were in my return kit so they must have gotten missed.

They no longer have Grey goose as an option and the only vodka option they have is that awful DuNord crap. Also no rum (I didn't ask on the return for it, so not sure if it isn't being offered anymore in D1 since it hasn't been available in coach since Covid or was a catering issue going over). Decided to just stick to Bailey's and had a double bailey's on the rocks and then asked for a coffee and Bailey's and was told they were only catered with four minis LOL.

On the return I will say the dinner was probably the best meal I've ever had on Delta. Was some Hawaiin pork dish and they had at least one other Hawaain meal chose available on the return. And the dessert was some kind of lemon cake and wasn't that cheap little tub of ice cream I had on the outbound. Return meal was much better. I miss the menus though that had the description of the wines and food choices, on the return they had quiche as an option for the pre arrival meal and the FA had no clue as to what type it was. I went with the french toast option which was really good.

And if you are connecting in ATL the skyclub showers are no open in F which was nice (I heard E are still closed).

Far from an awful experience and main reason I took D1 was the flatbed but some of the offerings could have been better for what they charged for that ticket. I have no problems with the WFBF reasoning but if they want you to pay for First prices at least offer something better than a college frat house would be ashamed to serve.
NWAsilvELITE likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by cnh
I booked ATL-SEA-HNL for 75k (lowest available for first class that day) miles on 11/11. The SEA connection is 1h 09m.
If SEA-HNL is still on the A330-900neo, that's a much nicer aircraft and J cabin than the beat up old A330s that run on MSP and and ATL to HNL. So even if you keep it, sure you're stuck on an uncomfortable 757 or 737 ATL-SEA, but then SEA-HNL you have much better aircraft than ATL-HNL.

ATL-HNL and vv. are usually 100% full, and in fact oversold, weeks out, so any upgrades, or even last minute full J fare booking availability, is rare and usually only so becomes possible (if you are right at the very front of the list) in case of irrops and some pax missing the flight.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RealHJ
If SEA-HNL is still on the A330-900neo, that's a much nicer aircraft and J cabin than the beat up old A330s that run on MSP and and ATL to HNL. So even if you keep it, sure you're stuck on an uncomfortable 757 or 737 ATL-SEA, but then SEA-HNL you have much better aircraft than ATL-HNL.
Doing a dummy booking on11 Nov for SEA-HNL, I show two SEA-HNL flights, both operated by a domestic 757-200 (20 standard F seats). No A330-900NEOs (or anything with lie-flats) on the schedule for SEA-HNL nonstop right now. From ATL, besides the options with D1 (nonstop or via MSP), the only other option with a lie-flat on 11 Nov (currently) is via SLC, on a 767-300 (again, currently).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.