Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Will Delta reduce Medallion Requirements for 2021?

Speculation: Will Delta reduce Medallion Requirements for 2021?

Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Yeah Delta’s approach to 2022 status has not been equal at all and is essentially rewarding the normal low level FOs and GMs that use a DL AMEX by allowing them to climb up the latter to GM or PM due to MQMs being handed out like candy along with the $25K MQD waiver. Meanwhile they are screwing over the high valued INTL traveling DMs that are grounded due to COVID travel restrictions and can’t hit the ridiculous MQD threshold or the $250K MQD waiver and forcing them back down to PM.
International markets are open, as I have hit the 15K MQD spend already with 68 segments to date (19 international segments and 1 trip each to LAX and HNL which would be long haul domestic) and over 140kMQM (45K MQM were rollover). With the multiplier program, my MQM will be over 200k and MQD probably around 40k for this year.

What we're probably going to see is leisure travelers hit DM this year, as for example, I have an upcoming trip in D1 to Croatia, MQDs will be $3,500 (fare was $2,100 via AmEx IAP), and 27k MQM's. Dubai is hosting the World Expo latter this year as that was a $6,600 MQD on a AF J $2,900 fare with 25kMQM when I took that trip in April and may return in the Fall.
Duke787 and DCAhome like this.

Last edited by DrMilano; Jul 4, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DrMilano
International markets are open, as I have hit the 25K MQD spend already with 68 segments to date (19 international segments and 1 trip each to LAX and HNL which would be long haul domestic) and over 140kMQM (45K MQM were rollover). With the multiplier program, my MQM will be over 200k and MQD probably around 40k for this year.

What we're probably going to see is leisure travelers hit DM this year, as for example, I have an upcoming trip in D1 to Croatia, MQDs will be $3,500 (fare was $2,100 via AmEx IAP), and 27k MQM's. Dubai is hosting the World Expo latter this year as that was a $6,600 MQD on a AF J $2,900 fare with 25kMQM when I took that trip in April and may return in the Fall.
Wow, impressive that you’ve manage to clock 19 intl. legs already this year. May I ask if these trips were leisure or work related?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DiamondSM
How you can have MQM if you CAN NOT fly ? (I can not even "enter" USA right now (not even for transit))
I CAN NOT have Delta credits cards... (NO extra MQM and NO waiver).
If you literally aren't flying at all right now, then does it really matter whether you have status or not? When you do resume flying, just do the Reclaim My Status program (which is another thing that usually has an MQD requirement, but which you get to have waived as a foreign SkyMiles member).

If you *are* flying, just not to/from the United States, and previously leveraged DL status for STE/STE+ benefits on a partner airline, that's seems like a pretty niche edge case, so it's not too surprising that DL doesn't have that category of customer front-of-mind.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yeah Delta’s approach to 2022 status has not been equal at all and is essentially rewarding the normal low level FOs and GMs that use a DL AMEX by allowing them to climb up the latter to GM or PM due to MQMs being handed out like candy along with the $25K MQD waiver. Meanwhile they are screwing over the high valued INTL traveling DMs that are grounded due to COVID travel restrictions and can’t hit the ridiculous MQD threshold or the $250K MQD waiver and forcing them back down to PM.
15K MQD works out to about 8.6K MQD before the accelerator (if at least C+). Surely those high value pax would have those funds, right? It can also be "free" if they would tap their OPM (other people's money) earned SkyPesos (about 860,000) and fly some expensive domestic fares - easy to find for the summer season.

Will Delta provide a second year of status rollover in the second half of 2021? We'll see. At this point, if one wants to qualify/re-qualify for status, no freebie.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17
15K MQD works out to about 8.6K MQD before the accelerator (if at least C+). Surely those high value pax would have those funds, right? It can also be "free" if they would tap their OPM (other people's money) earned SkyPesos.

Will Delta provide a second year of status rollover in the second half of 2021? We'll see. At this point, if one wants to qualify/re-qualify for status, there is no free goodwill.
And as noted multiple times in this thread you can burn miles for an MQD run. If you were a DM in the past you should have a least a decent RDM stash. Sure it might not be the ideal way to burn miles (vs going on a trip with the family) but it is available for people to generate a nice MQD number while waiting for OPM to return to the game
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DiamondSM
How you can have MQM if you CAN NOT fly ? (I can not even "enter" USA right now (not even for transit))
I CAN NOT have Delta credits cards... (NO extra MQM and NO waiver).
Rollover MQMs, MQMs from credit cards, and MQM gifted to you from someone else's Reserve card.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Repooc17
15K MQD works out to about 8.6K MQD before the accelerator (if at least C+). Surely those high value pax would have those funds, right? It can also be "free" if they would tap their OPM (other people's money) earned SkyPesos (about 860,000) and fly some expensive domestic fares - easy to find for the summer season.

Will Delta provide a second year of status rollover in the second half of 2021? We'll see. At this point, if one wants to qualify/re-qualify for status, no freebie.
Something that’s fair would be to lower the MQD waiver AMEX spend threshold for DM. Perhaps have a promotion in Q4 similar to AAs new promo but instead for existing DMs that if they can spend a certain amount within Q4 on (say $15K) on their DL AMEX, then the MQD threshold will be waived for DM. I’m not looking forward to the increase in PMs next year from the freebies who got it due to DL handing out MQMs like crazy and those DMs that will fall to PM due to lack of MQDs/no AMEX waivee. Helping out the DMs re-qualify would help somewhat in the 2022 PM overcrowding.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DrMilano
International markets are open, as I have hit the 15K MQD spend already with 68 segments to date (19 international segments and 1 trip each to LAX and HNL which would be long haul domestic) and over 140kMQM (45K MQM were rollover). With the multiplier program, my MQM will be over 200k and MQD probably around 40k for this year.

Some international markets are open. Many are not, unless one is a national of the particular country. Neither Croatia nor Dubai are on my regular travel circuit. Chile and Argentina are. I've not been welcome in either country since early March, 2020.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta SM Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Rollover MQMs, MQMs from credit cards, and MQM gifted to you from someone else's Reserve card.

I rollover 30k, as I write, I CAN NOT have credits cards, and no one around me CAN have a credit cards from USA ...

I understand the BIG concern for many Medallion living in USA are the MQD, but for foreign FF, the problem is to be able to flight with Delta (I can not even "enter" USA right now (and NOT transit also)).
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
"High-valued international DMs grounded due to COVID" maybe aren't so valuable if they are grounded due to COVID. And what's with the assertion that DL AMEX customers are "less valuable" to Delta? Delta surely makes a lot of money selling all those Skymiles to American Express. If AMEX customers were not valuable to Delta, then Delta would not offer them the perqs that they do.
Duke787, DLASflyer and GagaPilot like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta SM Diamond
Originally Posted by andrewk829
"High-valued international DMs grounded due to COVID" maybe aren't so valuable if they are grounded due to COVID. And what's with the assertion that DL AMEX customers are "less valuable" to Delta? Delta surely makes a lot of money selling all those Skymiles to American Express. If AMEX customers were not valuable to Delta, then Delta would not offer them the perqs that they do.
I think ALL customerS are "valuable" to Delta. I did not think DL AMEX are "LESS" valuable.
But I can see now the program are focus on inland travel and very little about their foreign intl. FF (for them to keep their status).
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Something that’s fair would be to lower the MQD waiver AMEX spend threshold for DM. Perhaps have a promotion in Q4 similar to AAs new promo but instead for existing DMs that if they can spend a certain amount within Q4 on (say $15K) on their DL AMEX, then the MQD threshold will be waived for DM. I’m not looking forward to the increase in PMs next year from the freebies who got it due to DL handing out MQMs like crazy and those DMs that will fall to PM due to lack of MQDs/no AMEX waivee. Helping out the DMs re-qualify would help somewhat in the 2022 PM overcrowding.
As a PM, anybody who is DM will be ahead of me (for upgrades, etc.) Any DM who falls to PM might be behind me, so I'm fully in favor of that happening. I like the "overcrowding" from above.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, those PMs (who mostly were DMs in the past) that you want to make DMs again will all be ahead of any PM for upgrade priority, etc. OTOH, if some former DMs are PMs next year, there's always a chance that you'll outrank them for priority based on fare class, Reserve card, etc. For any PM, fewer DMs are better even compared to the situation where all of the fallen DMs become PMs. <says a DM who plans to continue to be a DM next year baring an unexpected situation>
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Delta is unique in how they approach it as they are making it easy for new customers or lower level elites to gain status or move up in status - the other airlines seem to be more about maintaining prior status. Maybe if DL wants to keep its existing Diamond base while, they will reduce requirements, but it may be done in a way that also lets people on a PM trajectory also reach for Diamond.

The Status accelerator thing is pretty generous, especially if you book C+ or above. Earning MQM on award flights is pretty cool.
davedeboston and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:00 am

Logically, with DL using dynamic award pricing, award tickets should earn MQM/MQS/MQD. It's becoming a version of pay with miles.
rogo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.