Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Status of JFK T2 during COVID (reopened late June 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of JFK T2 during COVID (reopened late June 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rogo
I can't imagine intentionally going to T4 if I wanted T2.
Depends on the situation for me. If T2 precheck is closed and I'm arriving by AirTrain (which I am pretty much every time), I'd rather zip through precheck in T4 even if it means taking the dreaded bus back to T2.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:34 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rogo
Optimize what? It's a lot, lot of walking. T2 security was always pleasant. It had Clear too, before T4.

I can't imagine intentionally going to T4 if I wanted T2.

That said, I agree that T2 will likely never reopen.
But in a storm getting to T2 from AT would not be too pleasant.
rogo and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
The biggest beef with the T4/T2 combo is for us who drive to the airport. You always have to hope that you land in the terminal that your car is parked or your SUPER long JFK walk gets even longer.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
JFK T2 will have to reopen later this summer since pretty much nothing has been done on the T4A side and they are planning on increasing the number of JFK flights this summer. Unlike the LGA and LAX terminal projects which were already largely in progress when the pandemic hit, the JFK T4A extension had not started (and I am not sure if funding had even been totally agreed and secured). So no work was done on it during 2020 when they did accelerate the LGA and LAX projects.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL
From Simply Flying:

In a virtual meeting on Thursday, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said that Delta Air Lines would roll back its expansion plans for JFK’s Terminal 4. The expansion will now take place in two stages, the first encompassing only about 25% of the original investment ,,, The first phase will begin in the third quarter of 2021. The new plan includes just two new narrowbody gates and eight gates for regional jets at the end of Concourse A. Other improvements to terminal infrastructure are estimated at $100 million. The first gates are set to open in 2022, with works being completed by 2023.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
JFK T2 will have to reopen later this summer since pretty much nothing has been done on the T4A side and they are planning on increasing the number of JFK flights this summer. Unlike the LGA and LAX terminal projects which were already largely in progress when the pandemic hit, the JFK T4A extension had not started (and I am not sure if funding had even been totally agreed and secured). So no work was done on it during 2020 when they did accelerate the LGA and LAX projects.
They are at least pre-assigning flights to gates in T2. I was surprised when I noticed I was scheduled to arrive at a C gate when I checked in until it changed back to T4 around T-8
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
JFK T2 Question

My flight tomorrow (DL262) is surprisingly out of T2. I was planning to go to the Amex Centurion Lounge in T4 since I assumed my flight was going to be out of T4 and prefer it over the SkyClub. I saw Delta has a shuttle bus after security between T4 and T2 - has anyone used this ever and know if it runs pretty frequently? Also, would you suggest / can I check in my bag at T4 and then just take the shuttle post security after using the Amex lounge or will they not let me check my bag in T4?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
They’ll let you check your bag in T4, in fact that’s the only place you can check your bag. T2 check in/baggage claim areas are still closed. All passengers arriving/departing T2 must take the T4 bus.
nycflyer124 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 8:47 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On the VanWyck expressway there were electronic signs ALL DELTA FLIGHTS DEPART FROM T4
nycflyer124 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
The flight will leave out of T4. DL262 is going to CDG, it won’t be out of gate C61 (as currently shown). Already the inbound aircraft is showing as going to a T4 B gate.
nycflyer124 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
The flight will leave out of T4. DL262 is going to CDG, it won’t be out of gate C61 (as currently shown). Already the inbound aircraft is showing as going to a T4 B gate.
All long haul international will go out of T4. Issue likely is that plane is coming from ATL and computer likely auto assigned T2 based on inbound flight coming from ATL. Someone has updated the inbound, just no one has touched DL262 yet.
nycflyer124 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Thanks everyone. I was pretty surprised myself seeing T2!
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by nycflyer124
My flight tomorrow (DL262) is surprisingly out of T2. I was planning to go to the Amex Centurion Lounge in T4 since I assumed my flight was going to be out of T4 and prefer it over the SkyClub. I saw Delta has a shuttle bus after security between T4 and T2 - has anyone used this ever and know if it runs pretty frequently? Also, would you suggest / can I check in my bag at T4 and then just take the shuttle post security after using the Amex lounge or will they not let me check my bag in T4?
From my past experience at JFK, they wouldn't allow me to terminal hop. Not sure if things are the same now but TSA wouldn't allow me to do so.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
From my past experience at JFK, they wouldn't allow me to terminal hop. Not sure if things are the same now but TSA wouldn't allow me to do so.
How long was this?

Also there's no need to deal with TSA as T2/4 are connected by shuttle.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
Not correct as it relates to T2 / T4. TSA has no clue whether your flight is leaving from T2 or T4. Back when flights were running pre-covid I had many flights that were supposed to leave from T4 only to clear security and see the board was updated to T2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.