Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Status of JFK T2 during COVID (reopened late June 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of JFK T2 during COVID (reopened late June 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Well you guessed wrong.

As per the masterplan DL will stop using T2 once they have completed the work on expanding T4 (by early 2023 according to the plans) and T2 will then be demolished and the site subsumed (along with the site of previous T3) into the new mega T1 that is being developed.
https://simpleflying.com/jfk-interna...redevelopment/

Some pretty cool maps/diagrams of the new terminal layouts. T1 and T4 will be connected, but I can't find any mention if an airside connection will exist.
itsabravenewworld likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
All else equal, I'm going to let the better lounge determine which flight I book, but that lounge is only any good if I can actually get to it easily. Does Delta really only use T4 at JFK, or might I end up in T2? I thought they were also in T2 for some reason.
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
Centurion in JFK in T4 or the Sky Club (I guess B Concourse?) in ATL. downside to Sky Club is if my dad catches a flight that has the same second leg (we will meet in the destination but not leave from the same city), he wouldn't be able to come into the sky club without paying $39.

But the flight is in August, so I guess that makes JFK a wild card still.
What's ya'lls itineraries? Is JFK your meeting airport or destination airport? If you're flying international and you're Gold or higher, you'll have access to a SkyClub at every airport along your route. As for ATL, depends on how much time you have and which concourse you're departing out of. I'm a fan of F because of the deck, but I also like B.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
https://simpleflying.com/jfk-interna...redevelopment/

Some pretty cool maps/diagrams of the new terminal layouts. T1 and T4 will be connected, but I can't find any mention if an airside connection will exist.
Based on that diagram and the fact SkyTeam airlines are going to be in the new, better T1... it seems fairly safe to say that airside will be connected.

That said, the "greater T1 plan" is on hold, with no projected start date. It was slated to be finished in 2025. It will almost certainly not be finished before decade's end -- if ever.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rogo
Based on that diagram and the fact SkyTeam airlines are going to be in the new, better T1... it seems fairly safe to say that airside will be connected.

That said, the "greater T1 plan" is on hold, with no projected start date. It was slated to be finished in 2025. It will almost certainly not be finished before decade's end -- if ever.
It's amazing how fast LGA got rebuilt...
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Really wonder if T2 will ever reopen. What a dump.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Really wonder if T2 will ever reopen. What a dump.
Agreed. Only marginally better than LGA.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
It's amazing how fast LGA got rebuilt...
Yes, truly. Compare that to the utter fiasco that was Terminal 8, fka Terminal 8 and 9, at JFK.

I'm assuming the 1/2/3 thing is going to more closely resemble 8/9.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
That being said, T2 arrivals were always a joy, especially with no checked luggage.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:08 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
That being said, T2 arrivals were always a joy, especially with no checked luggage.
And NO triple helix's (all up hill) on arrival.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Well, unless you were taking the Airtrain and it was cold/raining outside.
And *with* checked luggage, my longest delays were at T2 arrivals when the aircraft was literally on the other side of a wall from the carousel.
(But yes, generally I agree, T2 had some benefits)
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
T2 makes (well, made, and hopefully will make again someday) flying Delta from JFK palatable. I don't need gleaming, I want easy and convenient. T2 is exactly that.
rogo and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
T2 makes (well, made, and hopefully will make again someday) flying Delta from JFK palatable. I don't need gleaming, I want easy and convenient. T2 is exactly that.
My only memories of T2 were the Precheck hours being ridiculously minimal, the security line spilling out into the main entryway of the terminal, and having to literally push my way through throngs of gate lice just to get around the terminal since they tend to back up and pool in the main walkway areas due to so little room at the actual gates. Also, the SkyClub and its disgusting shower rooms, honestly some of the worst I've seen in the world. While T4 offers some rather unpleasant walking experiences, I'd still prefer it to T2.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know there were shuttle busses between T2 and T4. Would the following routing optimize the use of T2 (when and if it reopens)?
Arrive at T4 by Airtrain or park in T4 garage (avoiding exposure to the elements for T2). TSA pre-check has longer hours for T4 vs T2. Take shuttle to T2.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by cmd320
My only memories of T2 were the Precheck hours being ridiculously minimal, the security line spilling out into the main entryway of the terminal, and having to literally push my way through throngs of gate lice just to get around the terminal since they tend to back up and pool in the main walkway areas due to so little room at the actual gates. Also, the SkyClub and its disgusting shower rooms, honestly some of the worst I've seen in the world. While T4 offers some rather unpleasant walking experiences, I'd still prefer it to T2.
None of that sounds fun, certainly.

I've never had issues with precheck hours at T2 (always open when I go) and the SkyClub was renovated a couple of years ago (though I admit I never used the showers so can't comment there). And you can actually get a seat at T2 SC in the evening as opposed to T4 SC (pre-pandemic).
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by nrr
I know there were shuttle busses between T2 and T4. Would the following routing optimize the use of T2 (when and if it reopens)?
Arrive at T4 by Airtrain or park in T4 garage (avoiding exposure to the elements for T2). TSA pre-check has longer hours for T4 vs T2. Take shuttle to T2.
Optimize what? It's a lot, lot of walking. T2 security was always pleasant. It had Clear too, before T4.

I can't imagine intentionally going to T4 if I wanted T2.

That said, I agree that T2 will likely never reopen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.