Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buddy is PM and upgrades over DM - Shena!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buddy is PM and upgrades over DM - Shena!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:06 am

Theoretically this is how upgrade process is supposed to work -
  1. When upgrade window opens (5 days/120 hrs out from departure), the code is supposed to sweep all medallions on that flight and rank them in a list
  2. Check for upgrade inventory and see how many seats are available
  3. Process upgrades.
    1. Update fare class (and other backend stuff)
    2. Assign new seats
    3. Trigger email to pax
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 every 24 hrs
Now when DL spun off comfort+ (or whatever they call it today) as separate 'upgradeable' class, they created 2 separate check boxes - for 'Request update to FC' and another for 'Request upgrade to Comfort+'
There were multiple reports at the time that checking both these boxes was messing up the upgrade process under certain conditions like a DM upgraded to comfort+ was not being considered for upgrade to FC as code was thinking this pax has already been processed.

Can you verify if you had both options checked and your buddy had only FC box checked?

some new IT update might have brought back that bug again...
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen this happen, and recall others reporting it but no idea what causes it... where something gets 'stuck' in the system and doesn't auto-process your upgrade even though there is space available. So you'll be in your original seat even though there is upgrade space. In this case, usually if you look at the seat map it will let you select a seat and show 'Free' and you can do it manually. Or I've also seen where it shows 'Free' but then gives and error and you have to call for an agent to fix it.

Sometimes unchecking the upgrade box, saving and then going back in and rechecking the upgrade request fixes things... but you'd want to do that prior to the upgrade window so you don't get passed over.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by El Boocho
I think SHENA implies that a person did something to deprive you of your deserved upgrade. This sounds like something else. Unless your buddy called in and an agent pushed something through, which it doesn't sounds like happened, employees don't go into the system and upgrade random people 3 days out at an upgrade window. Hence it is not SHENA, but maybe you were passed over nonetheless.

Isn't the PM window 5 days too? Can a PM not clear at 4 days? If nothing is available at 5 days, do they need to wait to the GM 3 day window?
When did "Shena" change from an upgrade not given involving a non-rev to any problem with a non-upgrade?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
When did "Shena" change from an upgrade not given involving a non-rev to any problem with a non-upgrade?
Never. Was a misuse of the term.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:02 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OHDL1
I think the earlier description in this thread that it is a GA processing upgrades outside of policy is more accurate than the more narrow definition of a non-rev being involved in processing upgrades outside of policy. This thread is not about SHENA because it does not involve a GA.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.