Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canceling a Delta flight for credit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Canceling a Delta flight for credit

I have a flight I'm about to cancel because the connecting cruise was canceled. RDU-LIS-BCN-RDU. I booked the ticket about 5 months ago.

I had a credit I used and pay the balance with credit card. ($596.45) When I cancel or change the ticket, will I get the total back as a credit? Or refund?

Total Price: $993.25 USDSummary of credits, fees, charges, and balance resulting from the reissue or change of an existing itinerary
description amount currency

Balance Information:

Total Ticket Price Difference $596.45 USD Service Charge: $0.00 USD Balance $596.45 USD
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It depends on the specific fare you purchased, but assuming it was a typical nonrefundable/changeable ticket, you should get a $993.25 eCredit with an expiration date the same as the original ~$400 eCredit you used.

Sometimes you get lucky and the expiration date is extended to 1 year past the purchase of the current ticket. But in either case I would not expect any refund to your credit card.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
On the off chance you were flying the nonstop RDU-CDG in September like RDU-CDG-LIS or BCN-CDG-RDU, it seems that flight is about to get removed from the schedule. If DL cancels that flight, you could get a refund to your credit card Edit: Original form of payment
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zitsky
I have a flight I'm about to cancel because the connecting cruise was canceled. RDU-LIS-BCN-RDU. I booked the ticket about 5 months ago.

I had a credit I used and pay the balance with credit card. ($596.45) When I cancel or change the ticket, will I get the total back as a credit? Or refund?

Total Price: $993.25 USDSummary of credits, fees, charges, and balance resulting from the reissue or change of an existing itinerary
description amount currency

Balance Information:

Total Ticket Price Difference $596.45 USD Service Charge: $0.00 USD Balance $596.45 USD
The current eticket will simply show under your ecredits for use rebooking. When you cancel a separate "credit" isnt created. Ecredit is simply what unused etickets and DL vouchers are called.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In terms of credit expiration, I think that DL is automatically extending all credits to end of 2022 currently.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rylan
In terms of credit expiration, I think that DL is automatically extending all credits to end of 2022 currently.
Did I miss another change to the expiration extensions?

I thought the 12/31/2022 extensions were only for eCredits from tickets originally booked prior to a certain date (sometime in 2020 when stuff was still very fuzzy). I know I had a bunch of credits from flights booked/cancelled in March/April/May 2020 and those all extended to 12/31/22. But I also had credits from flights booked/cancelled/changed in late 2020 and those show an expiration of late 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.