Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone Have Access to An Aircraft Registration Number Database?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN

This past Thursday 17JUN I was supposed to fly Delta Connection (DL4284) from INL to MSP connecting to MCO. The flight was running 1.5 hours late so I missed the connection at MSP which was the last flight of the day to MCO. I had to stay at the MSP airport hotel (nice place btw) but was denied accommodation by Delta.
The woman at Delta reservations blamed it on a weather delay at CWA earlier that day. The woman at the Delta Skyclub just that since it was not a crew or mechanical issue, they couldn't pay for the hotel. Earlier, the pilot of the INL-MSP flight stood in front of the seated passengers, apologized for the late flight and blamed it on some "airport issue" they had earlier at at an airport in North Dakota, without providing any specificity.
So if any of your sleuths can look at tail number N506CA and figure out where things may have went awry, I'd be interesting in knowing. I suspect it really was weather but 3 different stories made it kind of intriguing. Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Simply goto flightaware.com and you can see where flight was delayed. It was delayed out of MSP to Williston and thus delayed out of Williston back to MSP. (3hrs each time delay)

As to why, no clue. Aircraft arrived in MSP earlier that morning, so late inbound plane wasnt issue. There was some (not bad though) weather at MSP it appears when finally departed, not sure where/how bad it was at schedule departure.

Could be crew was late due to weather also.
HDQDD, mrspilot and SUPERTRAVEL like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Weather in MSP looked perfectly fine at 10:15 (scheduled departure) for the flight to XWA. Mid 80s, WSW winds at 8 kt, no low clouds, 10 miles of visibility... Equally good weather in XWA (just a bit breezier) and en route.

It could be crew + weather though

Edit: XWA had a fire truck issue. It broke down and per FAA regulations, they couldn't let flights land. The backup truck was delivered in the afternoon on the 17th, allowing flights to resume.
https://www.facebook.com/flywillistonXWA/
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
Weather in MSP looked perfectly fine at 10:15 (scheduled departure) for the flight to XWA. Mid 80s, WSW winds at 8 kt, no low clouds, 10 miles of visibility... Equally good weather in XWA (just a bit breezier) and en route.

It could be crew + weather though
I found out reason. https://www.kfyrtv.com/2021/06/19/mi...ional-airport/

The Airport fire and rescue truck broke down. Airport can't operate commercial services without one.
SUPERTRAVEL and mrspilot like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by flyerCO

The Airport fire and rescue truck broke down. Airport can't operate commercial services without one.
I think we both found the reason at the same time

Amazing to see the chain of events that leads from a broken fire truck in XWA to SUPERTRAVEL missing their MSP-MCO flight.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Oh wow, can't believe you found that information! They say everything is on the internet somewhere and I guess it really is.
I guess if it's the airport's fault, Delta would not be responsible for my hotel bill that night.
THANK YOU for finding out!
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
For future refence, you can plug in a registration number directly into http://www.flightaware.com to find out where your plane was earlier:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N506CA

It won't tell you why an earlier flight was delayed, but it's still a start to figuring out what happened.
cmd320 and SUPERTRAVEL like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
For future refence, you can plug in a registration number directly into http://www.flightaware.com to find out where your plane was earlier:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N506CA

It won't tell you why an earlier flight was delayed, but it's still a start to figuring out what happened.
I also like to cross-reference with flightradar24 because sometimes the data on Flightaware isn't completely accurate, particularly when delays are involved.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Flightradar history

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n506ca
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I've got to add that to my interesting delay reasons!

My most random delay was from ATL-FNT when the airport police officer got stabbed in the terminal and they closed the airport for a few hours. Creepy.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cmd320
I also like to cross-reference with flightradar24 because sometimes the data on Flightaware isn't completely accurate, particularly when delays are involved.
Yeah it especially likes saying a flight was "on time" simply because the arrival/departure time had been updated before departure.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I do use Flightaware but thought one had to have a "paid" plan in order to review Tail Number information.
Am less familiar with FlightRadar24.

All great information, everyone. Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
I do use Flightaware but thought one had to have a "paid" plan in order to review Tail Number information.
Am less familiar with FlightRadar24.

All great information, everyone. Thanks!
You need a paid plan to see the tail number that a flight flew as. However if you know the tail number you can search using that.

Also you can simply click "track inbound plane" and while it won't tell you the tail number, it goes backward to flight before that one on it. Basically I found it dumb when FA started charging to see tail number. Many work arounds.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
flightstats.com is another good one -- it includes a detailed event log that shows things like changes to assigned gates, tail swaps, etc. It's sometimes a bit tricky to navigate if the same flight number is operating both AAA-BBB and BBB-AAA or if you are trying to find info for a different date, you have to find the tab/link that lets you say which flight or direction you want.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I've got to add that to my interesting delay reasons!

My most random delay was from ATL-FNT when the airport police officer got stabbed in the terminal and they closed the airport for a few hours. Creepy.
The story about lending a firetruck is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.