Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any strong opinions for AF or KLM F?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Any strong opinions for AF or KLM F?

I'm going to roll the dice and hope we're allowed in to Germany/Austria this fall. While looking at D1 fares I noticed my usual CDG-CVG return is 2x higher than a more wandering 2 stop route. In order to get an "affordable" fare home the options are for the TATL leg to either be on AF (CDG-ORD) or KLM (AMS-BOS). I haven't experienced the F service on either; any thoughts/opinions?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
To get the pedantry out of the way, only Air France offers a true first class experience, and it's considered one of the best in all of aviation. If La Premiere is truly an option, you should of course choose it!

But it's more likely you're referring to business class Some variables to consider:

- Onboard food/catering. Air France is night and day better than KLM, with wines that often retail for 2x the price and thoughtful catering instead of Mystery Bowls of Gruel. Clear winner: AF
- Seats. Depends on the airplane. AF 777 > AF 787 or KL 787 > AF A350 >>>>> AF A330 > KL 777 > KL A330. Anything on the left half of this priority list beats anything on the right half; in other words, you only want to fly KLM if you're on a 787, and you want to avoid the AF A330. Clear winner in most cases: AF
- Ground experience. KLM just opened a new lounge in AMS that many people like, although the AF lounges are pretty good, too. Many find CDG to be less pleasant to transit than AMS. Slight edge: KL
- Giveaways. AF amenity kits are much higher quality than KL, but KL you get souvenir Delft houses to take home. Slight edge: KL
- Staff. I've had great and terrible experiences with both airlines, so much like Delta it depends on the crew. In general, both are professional and pleasant. Verdict: Tie

Currently it appears AMS-BOS is a KLM A330, while CDG-ORD is an AF 777. This, to me, is absolutely no contest - the very best AF seat experience, with ample personal space and direct aisle access, compared to the very worst KL seat, with a cramped seat and a seatmate in a 2-2-2 configuration. But of course double check your specific dates, as equipment swaps can happen regularly as seasonal demand changes.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by BenA
But it's more likely you're referring to business class
For the sake of brevity; yes. I realized the difference when I double checked the fare on AF.com and la premiere was $19,000.

Their seat map (on DL.com) is odd for that flight. it doesn't show F, but has one row of premium economy, then 14 rows of 1-1-1-1 business, then four more rows of premium.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
To get the pedantry out of the way, only Air France offers a true first class experience, and it's considered one of the best in all of aviation. If La Premiere is truly an option, you should of course choose it!

But it's more likely you're referring to business class Some variables to consider:

- Onboard food/catering. Air France is night and day better than KLM, with wines that often retail for 2x the price and thoughtful catering instead of Mystery Bowls of Gruel. Clear winner: AF
- Seats. Depends on the airplane. AF 777 > AF 787 or KL 787 > AF A350 >>>>> AF A330 > KL 777 > KL A330. Anything on the left half of this priority list beats anything on the right half; in other words, you only want to fly KLM if you're on a 787, and you want to avoid the AF A330. Clear winner in most cases: AF
- Ground experience. KLM just opened a new lounge in AMS that many people like, although the AF lounges are pretty good, too. Many find CDG to be less pleasant to transit than AMS. Slight edge: KL
- Giveaways. AF amenity kits are much higher quality than KL, but KL you get souvenir Delft houses to take home. Slight edge: KL
- Staff. I've had great and terrible experiences with both airlines, so much like Delta it depends on the crew. In general, both are professional and pleasant. Verdict: Tie

Currently it appears AMS-BOS is a KLM A330, while CDG-ORD is an AF 777. This, to me, is absolutely no contest - the very best AF seat experience, with ample personal space and direct aisle access, compared to the very worst KL seat, with a cramped seat and a seatmate in a 2-2-2 configuration. But of course double check your specific dates, as equipment swaps can happen regularly as seasonal demand changes.
This is a great response, I agree with everything here. I would go with AF in the OP's situation as well, but equipment changes should be expected unless you are only booking a month or two before your flight. I am flying KL in early July and my plane was changed from a 787 to an A330 about two months before departure. For almost everyone else this would be a big downgrade. But for us we're very thankful to have the A330's 2x2x2 seating because my wife and I are traveling with two children (and we prefer the very close proximity of the seats).
photojojo likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM

You forgot to factor in those sweet KLM gin houses. For that reason alone, I would go for KLM 787 over any AF flight.
photojojo likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by photojojo
For the sake of brevity; yes. I realized the difference when I double checked the fare on AF.com and la premiere was $19,000.

Their seat map (on DL.com) is odd for that flight. it doesn't show F, but has one row of premium economy, then 14 rows of 1-1-1-1 business, then four more rows of premium.
It's a mapping issue. DL use PAG for PE while AF uses them for La Premiere. If you book PE you will not be sitting in row 1 even if DL let's you pick it in their system.
photojojo likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by bsagator
You forgot to factor in those sweet KLM gin houses. For that reason alone, I would go for KLM 787 over any AF flight.
Are those not the "souvenir Delft houses to take home"? Or something else?
bsagator likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Are those not the "souvenir Delft houses to take home"? Or something else?
Yes, they are. My partner calls them dust collectors. She just doesn't understand...

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...miniatures.htm
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bsagator
I did mention the houses in the "Giveaways" section. They're about $10 on eBay, so I consider them a very small factor compared to the onboard experience you're paying $1000 or more for; if you want to build a collection, it's easy to do so by simply buying them on the resale market.

The 787 is indeed a good "hard product" experience on KLM because they placed a joint order with Boeing alongside AF and the seat is very similar. It's not quite as spacious as the AF 777 seat, as the 787 is slightly smaller, but it's a nearly identical design and a very close second. Unfortunately, the KL 787 is not operating on OP's route options.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'd say KLM because you don't have to go to CDG then.

Unless you're actually going F in which case AF is the only option and well worth the trip through CDG.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Comparing Delta's D1 product to AF's La Premiere is like comparing NK's Big Front Seat to EK's Suites
SUPERTRAVEL, Air Houston and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
AF hands down. Blows D1 away in every regard. Fine wines, cheeses, glassware, food that tastes like food, fois gras, real espresso and cappacuinos, real biz class... D1 is a total disgrace and rip off. I've changed the next 4 monthly tatl flights to AF.
enviroian and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by p100a
AF hands down. Blows D1 away in every regard. Fine wines, cheeses, glassware, food that tastes like food, fois gras, real espresso and cappacuinos, real biz class... D1 is a total disgrace and rip off. I've changed the next 4 monthly tatl flights to AF.
While I am a fan of Air France J, I would not be so mean to Delta. If you were forced to fly AA and UA, you'll quickly be back
ebayj, photojojo, BenA and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Oh, and for the OP: I prefer Air France J over KLM J. Air France J has basically guaranteed aisle access and better seats for most of their fleet. KLM you can still be stuck in many 2-2-2 configurations. Air France also has better catering, miles ahead of KLM -- but KLM has the cute Delft houses. But that shouldn't sway opinions on thousand dollar+ purchases. Buy them online, if you really have to.
photojojo likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by p100a
Delta One does not claim to be first class. It is also NOT a ripoff or a disgrace.
photojojo, BenA and bsagator like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.