Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Check in at SXM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Delta Check in at SXM

Flying back from SXM on the 26th and I've heard the airport is a zoo. Does Delta have Sky Priority/Premium check in or security lanes? As a Diamond with Clear, TSA Precheck and Global Entry I have grown accustomed to all the short cuts.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
Originally Posted by ahracer
Flying back from SXM on the 26th and I've heard the airport is a zoo. Does Delta have Sky Priority/Premium check in or security lanes? As a Diamond with Clear, TSA Precheck and Global Entry I have grown accustomed to all the short cuts.
Was last at SXM arrived March 27 and left April 5th---leaving SXM was no problem (check in is a little crowded, but SkyPriority line only took a minute to get to check in and bags dropped/boarding passes issued). Security wasn't bad--2-3 minutes to get through. Immigration was a little slow--5 to 10 minutes due to only having 2 agents working at the time (no Clear/Precheck/GE/priority security or immigration at SXM). But getting out of SXM was nothing compared to the 4.5 hours to get in (bad luck with AF and KLM A330s landing right before us). But leaving wasn't bad at all in mostly finished airport facilities (no jetways yet) but interior was fine departing vs. arriving. A few pick-up counter type restaurants and stands open and decent seating available, but not a place you'd want to arrive early and spend two hours in departure area by any means!
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the information. Now that cruises have resumed it sounds like they were a little overwhelmed this last Saturday.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
I think Saturdays are likely the worst with many rentals being Sat-Sat. Numerous business people were astounded it took that long (and we would have been more like 5.5 hours but for staff pulling families with kids through the domestic line after 4.5 hours). Timing of arrival likely makes a big difference (getting in early, particularly if you can beat the AF and/or KLM arrivals (depending on whether it's 0, 1, or both arrivals at same time on any particular day). I had never seen anything like it at SXM before. Although I swore I'd never return after about 3 hours in that line; 10 days on the island softened me up and I'll probably try to avoid Saturday arrivals in the future and/or suck it up and pay for SkyVIP arrival next time....
https://www.usvipservices.com/?utm_c...BoC_1EQAvD_BwE

From what I've heard afterwards, the 4.5 hours was an outlier (in addition to both a KLM and AF A333 landing right before us, ~200 military members arrived via a side door about 2 hours into the wait--couldn't tell where they were from; if it was some training mission or stopover or what. Signage at SXM advertised new airport complete in 2022 (which probably means 2024 on island time). As-is, SXM doesn't even really have room to add more agents until they get back into the pre-Irma arrivals space vs. lining up for an hour+ on the tarmac, before entering a cattle shed under the airport for another hour, then slowly winding your way through the small arrivals hall. SXM staff were doing what they could--10 agents frantically running around checking covid entry permits and stamping them to help expedite the time spent when pax finally arrived at immigration booth, but with only 4 (maybe 5; don't remember exactly now) immigration booths, not much can be done once the line backs up with 600-900 pax trying to enter.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL
Yes the airport is busy. The airlines do have priority check-in which is nice. Even though we gave ourselves 2 hours prior to our flight flying FC we made it through very fast. There is a bar with food after you walk down the ramp towards the departure gate which was much cooler in temperature! Had an easy time wasting the time away! I would be sure on a Saturday to give yourself at least 2 hours after you arrive at the airport and after you return your car rental.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The worst are the USVIs that promote no passport travel, but then punish those that travel without one with long lines for weird customs and immigration checks that leave most travelers perplexed given the advertising that it’s a domestic destination. Using your license means excessive lines that stress pax and require three hour before departure arrivals. And don’t say it’s because it’s an island because leaving SJU is never as difficult.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I’ve been in and out of SXM about six times this season, and it’s always been a breeze. However, and as others have said, try to avoid the weekends if you can, and arrival after and departure before the AF and KL flights.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ahracer
Thanks for the information. Now that cruises have resumed it sounds like they were a little overwhelmed this last Saturday.
I suspect that the Saturday cruise turnarounds that started last weekend are going to add to the stress. Hopefully things improve as the summer goes on but I would definitely take it into account if flying out on Saturday.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there still a Priority Pass lounge at the airport?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is there still a Priority Pass lounge at the airport?
When shaken, www.prioritypass.com says "Outcome not favorable."
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Was there ever one?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Was there ever one?
Yes…some of the bloggers have written about it too. Ever since Lounge Buddy because useless as a search tool, it’s hard to figure out what lounges still exist.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Yes…some of the bloggers have written about it too. Ever since Lounge Buddy because useless as a search tool, it’s hard to figure out what lounges still exist.
Sleeping in airports is what I tend to use. Shows lounges, hotels, etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.