Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does Delta forces you to have test despite none is required for transit/destination?

Does Delta forces you to have test despite none is required for transit/destination?

Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

CDG and AMS don`t require test for transiting passengers, so does my final destination. Have you experienced DL/contracted worker forcing you to show PCR test despite none is required? I just saw some traveler, who didn`t need the test for transiting Turkey, having a hard time with such situation.
What one should do if someone demands PCR test, and you know you don`t have to have one?
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by ACR2013
CDG and AMS don`t require test for transiting passengers, so does my final destination. Have you experienced DL/contracted worker forcing you to show PCR test despite none is required? I just saw some traveler, who didn`t need the test for transiting Turkey, having a hard time with such situation.
What one should do if someone demands PCR test, and you know you don`t have to have one?
Delta agents will check Timatic to determine what is needed. If you know what that says and it doesn't require a test, ask the agent to check Timatic.
PinaColada likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If transiting on one ticket, no.

If on separate tickets then technically airline needs to ask for documents as if you were actually ending there.

Also I thought AMS required test even if just connecting.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO

Also I thought AMS required test even if just connecting.
AMS just ended the requirement on June 1st, as I first read on Loyalty Lobby. But other bloggers (such as The Points Guy, etc) have not updated this info.
Here`s the link and another link to the official announcement:
https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/06/01/...y-june-1-2021/
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Delta agents will check Timatic to determine what is needed. If you know what that says and it doesn't require a test, ask the agent to check Timatic.
I was thinking to print that info for them, but I doubt many Delta agents (who are mostly outsourced) have any clue what Timatic is or how to check info there.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was thinking to print that info for them, but I doubt many Delta agents (who are mostly outsourced) have any clue what Timatic is or how to check info there.
They should all know what it is. It's the system that tells them if you need a visa, etc...
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

They should all know what it is. It's the system that tells them if you need a visa, etc...
I just checked Timatic for transiting France, and it doesn`t exclude (the US travelers) from the test. I`ve heard that Timatic is not always correct and cannot be trusted. The government sites are the ones needed to be checked and refer the agents to.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I just checked Timatic for transiting France, and it doesn`t exclude (the US travelers) from the test. I`ve heard that Timatic is not always correct and cannot be trusted. The government sites are the ones needed to be checked and refer the agents to.
It doesn't matter what government website says. Timatic pulls information from ICAO (thus semi govermental in nature) and thus is what the airlines go by.

You might get agent to go by a gov website. However the airline is only protected from fines based on what is in TIMATIC. If the say, French embassy website is wrong they can't escape fine if TIMATIC said otherwise.

If TIMATIC isn't up to date, it's because the country itself hasn't sent in an update.
nancypants and PinaColada like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:55 am

Just flew LAX-SEA-AMS-ARN, and as a dual US/Sweden passport holder, I knew that I did not need a covid test as Sweden does not require it for citizens and AMS ended the COVID test requirement. However, was asked both at departure from SEA and upon arrival at AMS for a COVID test. Told them I did not have one as it isnt necessary for my trip, and both times the agents accepted it. So no problems flying without a COVID test.
ACR2013 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
AMS just ended the requirement on June 1st, as I first read on Loyalty Lobby. But other bloggers (such as The Points Guy, etc) have not updated this info.
Here`s the link and another link to the official announcement:
https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/06/01/...y-june-1-2021/
I just flew JFK-AMS last night (on the way to ZRH, which didn't require any test either due to my vaccination status) and had no problems when I checked in at JFK (i.e., the Delta agent read up the rules on both Switzerland and the AMS transit, and didn't ask for any testing docs). The Dutch authorities however were out in full force this morning when we arrived AMS and asked for our PCR tests as we exited the jetway; I told the guy I didn't need one for transit (while showing him my onward boarding pass) and he said, "you're right, but many passengers have one anyway so we ask to check.." (?!!?)
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:09 am
Original Poster

It doesn't matter what government website says. Timatic pulls information from ICAO (thus semi govermental in nature) and thus is what the airlines go by.

You might get agent to go by a gov website. However the airline is only protected from fines based on what is in TIMATIC. If the say, French embassy website is wrong they can't escape fine if TIMATIC said otherwise.

If TIMATIC isn't up to date, it's because the country itself hasn't sent in an update.
Are you saying that transiting via CDG from the US requires negative test, just because Timatic doesn`t exclude the US passengers?
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Are you saying that transiting via CDG from the US requires negative test, just because Timatic doesn`t exclude the US passengers?
No, I'm saying that the airline is going to go by what TIMATIC says is the requirement. If it's wrong, it's wrong because the country has sent incorrect information, but airline followed what was officially sent along information chains by the country.

Websites, including government run websites aren't "offical" places to get information. If airline goes by information on a website (even say the website of that countries embassy) and it's wrong they're on hook.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:28 am

I mean we re still in the middle of a historic pandemic that has now killed millions. Maybe we can all just continue to get the test for a while to ensure everyone is safe. 🤷🏽‍♂️
gooselee, nancypants and jaimemayo like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by FabCW
I mean we re still in the middle of a historic pandemic that has now killed millions. Maybe we can all just continue to get the test for a while to ensure everyone is safe. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Or, maybe we could let the countries we are flying through and to decide what their policy is and abide by that.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In a worst case scenario, you can get a very fast test (PCR and/or antigen) at some major airports, although doing this can be expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.