Community
Wiki Posts
Search

767 lax-hnl

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

767 lax-hnl

Before COVID, there used to be one 767 flight every day between LAX-HNL. I assume the purpose was to rotate aircraft operating HNL-Japan routes. When HNL-Japan resumes, is there a decent chance of the 767 going back on LAX-HNL? Or will this route be a victim of the 767 retirements? Currently the route is operated by a 757-300.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by planetmans
Before COVID, there used to be one 767 flight every day between LAX-HNL. I assume the purpose was to rotate aircraft operating HNL-Japan routes. When HNL-Japan resumes, is there a decent chance of the 767 going back on LAX-HNL? Or will this route be a victim of the 767 retirements? Currently the route is operated by a 757-300.
The 767 was on LAX-HNL-NGO through-flight, yes. A fair amount of passengers continued on from NGO to LAX and vice versa.

DL is using A330s (A330-900neo most days) and at other times 767s from SEA-HNL nowadays vs 757s. From LAX DL likes to pack the 757s full to the gills rather than put on a bigger 767 or A330 on the route. If you are willing to connect in SEA, you can fly LAX-SEA-HNL and v.v. to be on an A330-900neo (it's tight in J with the suites) or a 767 for roughly the same cost as LAX-HNL direct.

DL has cut, for more than a year, the flights to Japan, such as HNL-NGO, HNL-KIX, HNL-NRT. Not sure if those cuts are permanent. Well before the pandemic DL was massively cutting capacity (HNL-KIX 2x daily 747+A330 went to 1x daily 767; 5x daily HNL-NRT 747+A330 went to 1x daily HNL-HND 767; HNL-FUK was entirely cut, so HA had to start service on that route), despite the demand outstripping supply, and in light of others adding capacity (look at the three beautiful three-class NH A380s which are dedicated to HNL flights, and the first class and business class dedicated lounges right by the A380 dedicated gate at HNL; DLs ancient tiny 767s look like mere insects in comparison). DL already seemed to be in general cutting down flights to Japan. The HNL-NRT cut I think is permanent (HNL-HND 1x daily tiny 767 is a mere drop in the bucket of the total seats daily on HNL-TYO), as is the HNL-FUK cut (both not long before the pandemic), and I fear that HNL-NGO and HNL-KIX pandemic induced cuts may be permanent as well.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's short-lived, but there's currently a 763 on LAX-HNL operating on Tu/Th/Su through July 6th as DL333/331. This supplements the 3 other daily flights.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 6, 2021 at 4:08 pm
Old Jun 6, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
DL isn’t even at its normal Pre-COVID frequency on this route yet. It used to be 4x daily (and 5x during Christmas) but it’s still only 3x daily right now with no wide-bodies. DL has been shrinking in HI over the past few years. They gutted the Asia non-stop routes even pre-COVID and dropped the DTW non-stop as well.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
DL isn’t even at its normal Pre-COVID frequency on this route yet. It used to be 4x daily (and 5x during Christmas) but it’s still only 3x daily right now with no wide-bodies. DL has been shrinking in HI over the past few years. They gutted the Asia non-stop routes even pre-COVID and dropped the DTW non-stop as well.
I was secretly hoping that DTWHNL or JFKHNL would return now that we are seeing much stronger domestic pent up demand for Hawaii due to international travel restrictions and bureaucracy.
Spiff, MSPeconomist and RealHJ like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I was secretly hoping that DTWHNL or JFKHNL would return now that we are seeing much stronger domestic pent up demand for Hawaii due to international travel restrictions and bureaucracy.
One problem is that Hawaii still has its own testing/quarantine requirements, so that USA citizens/residents can't travel freely to the state. This makes Hawaii less attractive as a destination than it otherwise would be and might cause some complications for crew on the Hawaii flights.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Hawaii is looking like it should be easier to travel to soon:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...-travel-goals/
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Hawaii is looking like it should be easier to travel to soon:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...-travel-goals/
Slowly but surely indeed. There is a ton of wide body capacity into Hawaii these days but I see some opportunities where Delta can add to their existing network.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One problem is that Hawaii still has its own testing/quarantine requirements, so that USA citizens/residents can't travel freely to the state. This makes Hawaii less attractive as a destination than it otherwise would be and might cause some complications for crew on the Hawaii flights.
Crew are exempt from the restrictions, AFAIK. If it caused problems for the crew, there would be no flights to here. Well or actually DL could just use local crew from their HNL base. They usually went on the numerous HNL-Japan flights (almost every flight to/from Japan there were familiar faces on), now I am guessing the local crew are going to domestic flights. If you got your vaccine in Hawaii, then you are exempt from the unnecessary testing (finally, as of June 15th).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.