Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying to Frankfurt - Can I change to a non-Skyteam airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA

I'm booked on what was a very affordable Delta One fare ATL-FRA-ATL in late July. Because of the restrictions in Germany, I want to pivot to Croatia. KLM is the only Skyteam partner who can take me to Dubrovnik, and even that's with a connection.

If I book with another airline FRA-DBV-FRA, will I be allowed to claim my bags/change terminals/etc? I'm fully vaccinated but given the intense restrictions, I wasn't sure if this could be accomplished.

Any other ideas are welcome, too.

Thank you.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Croatia is currently not a Schengen member, so I believe you can just stay in transit area and re-check your luggage at a transfer desk. T2 at FRA is currently closed. I believe DL will use T2 when it reopens in June as that is where they normally fly out of, while LH/OU use T1. But there is a transit side tram connecting T2 and T1.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Chanticleer
I'm booked on what was a very affordable Delta One fare ATL-FRA-ATL in late July. Because of the restrictions in Germany, I want to pivot to Croatia. KLM is the only Skyteam partner who can take me to Dubrovnik, and even that's with a connection.

If I book with another airline FRA-DBV-FRA, will I be allowed to claim my bags/change terminals/etc? I'm fully vaccinated but given the intense restrictions, I wasn't sure if this could be accomplished.

Any other ideas are welcome, too.

Thank you.
DL itself is flying to DBV from JFK starting July 2. Maybe DL may be more accommodating if you ask to switch your current flight to this set of flights to DBV instead since it's on their own metal? (e.g., ATL-JFK-DBV). You can probably use the full value of the ATL-FRA-ATL trip to apply to a new ATL-JFK-DBV and return ticket...
MSPeconomist and exwannabe like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you buy a separate ticket now, DL will see FRA as your final destination and require that your travel documents (passport/residency, COVID-19 tests, etc.) be sufficient for admission to Germany (note that the requirements can depend on the province/Lander), presumably as a tourist. You won't be able to check luggage through or have IROPs protection involving a nonpartner airline.
Weekend Away likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
DL itself is flying to DBV from JFK starting July 2. Maybe DL may be more accommodating if you ask to switch your current flight to this set of flights to DBV instead since it's on their own metal? (e.g., ATL-JFK-DBV). You can probably use the full value of the ATL-FRA-ATL trip to apply to a new ATL-JFK-DBV and return ticket...
Note that the JFK-DBV flights are Fri/Sat only. Current cheapest D1 fares from ATL are $2903 roundtrip (28-day advance purchase ZN3X87D1 fares with 7-day min stay requirement). Oops, that should 4x weekly (Tue/Thu/Fri/Sat) with Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun returns. There is also a $2300 fare, but it has a 60-day advance purchase requirement which would require August travel.

Last edited by xliioper; May 31, 2021 at 2:27 pm
Old May 31, 2021, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks gang! I will call DAL and see what I can come with.
Old May 31, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Hopefully the DL flights can work for you.

If not, and you have to use the split ticket then I would strongly suggest you have BOTH credentials to enter Germany and for a flight from Germany to Croatia.

By "credentials" I mean the COVID thingies.
Old May 31, 2021, 2:53 pm

In the thread on Greece experiences, there is mention of successful transit in FRA to Athens, changing between AA and LH, which looks like separate tickets. FRA transit was made with vaccine proof only.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:41 am
Suspended

FRA just reopened T2. DL has started flying from it as of today. FRA-DBV is served by LH and OU (=Croatia Airlines), both of which will continue to operate out of T1.

In pre-covid times, a people mover called SkyLine allowed you to do T2-T1 transfer without entering Schengen. Of course, if you're not allowed to enter Schengen/Germany, being on separate tickets would complicates things.

However, I think the probability that Germany will be open to fully vaccinated Americans by the end of July is fairly close to 1. The decision to re-open to fully vaccinated people from low-risk countries (which the US is at this stage by most measures) has been made by the EU. I strongly believe Germany will implement this during the first half of June.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like the Skyline is operating again with reopening of T2 (website refers to it for connecting between terminals below notice of T2 reopening). Croatia is not a Schengen country, so OP should be able to stay in transit area.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xooz
In the thread on Greece experiences, there is mention of successful transit in FRA to Athens, changing between AA and LH, which looks like separate tickets. FRA transit was made with vaccine proof only.
It could be a single ticket as surely AA and LH interline. (Most major full service airlines do, even if they're not in the same alliance.)
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:18 am
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's help. Looks like I will book on Lufthansa. Hope everything opens up by then. I will be carrying CDC vax card and may get a covid test before I fly just as extra insurance.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It could be a single ticket as surely AA and LH interline. (Most major full service airlines do, even if they're not in the same alliance.)
In a later post, the traveler confirmed separate tickets.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Chanticleer
thanks for everyone's help. Looks like I will book on Lufthansa. Hope everything opens up by then. I will be carrying CDC vax card and may get a covid test before I fly just as extra insurance.
As of now, the test prior to flight is required regardless of further flights.

The tricky question is if you would need a test within x hours of the second flight, Logistics should still be solvable, but keep an eye on.
Chanticleer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exwannabe
As of now, the test prior to flight is required regardless of further flights.
No, the OP is fully vaccinated. No test required for travel to or through Germany when originating from the US.

The real issue isn't testing. It is if the new EU agreement to re-open to fully vaccinated travellers (from most countries, with possible exceptions for worrisome variants) will be implemented prior to OP's travel. As I wrote above, I think it will become law in time.

EDIT: Same for Croatia. You won't need a test if fully vaccinated using an approved vaccine such as Pfizer or Moderna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.