Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rebookings with RUCs/GUCs (schedule change/IRROPs/voluntary changes) Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
After speaking with Two supervisors and 4 regular agents they got it fixed for me.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jay00848
After speaking with Two supervisors and 4 regular agents they got it fixed for me.
Sad that it took that many to get it fixed. I was talking with an agent. He said "supervisors" are just agents who did a little self study to learn how to use the legacy systems. This way they can do things outside the GUI that is normally used (and which limits what can be done). He said they're not actually trained on policies/etc any extra.

Apparently he had only been hired couple months back (when hold times were in the hours). However as he had previous experience doing bookings directly in the reservation systems he was hired as a "supervisor." (He was a travel agent previously)
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but I have not kept up with all the policy changes through the pandemic.

If I book and clear an RUC, and then change or cancel my flight (voluntarily, not schedule change), what happens to the RUC?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by findark
Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but I have not kept up with all the policy changes through the pandemic.

If I book and clear an RUC, and then change or cancel my flight (voluntarily, not schedule change), what happens to the RUC?
You are supposed to forfeiit the RUC but 3 times since covid I have voluntarily canceled and had the RUC reinstated. I had to call in and request the reinstatement.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Apr 6, 2021 at 4:06 pm
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You are supposed to forfeiit the RUC but 3 times since covid I have voluntarily canceled and had the RUC reinstated.
Automatically, or did you ask for it back?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Current policy is that upgrade certificates can be reinstated even when you voluntarily cancel: see this page. However, I wouldn't trust this to happen automatically, and the last time I did this the agent had to submit a request for the RUC to be reopened (which took a few days).
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, perfect, that's the policy I was looking for, as I recall that pre-pandemic they were indeed not returned:

If you have to change or cancel a reservation where an Upgrade Certificate has already been applied and confirmed, you will not lose the Certificate. You can either call Reservations to apply the Upgrade Certificate to your new flight, or it will automatically be reopened in your account within 2-3 weeks.
Just trying to adjust to this new world where I don't necessarily have to fly as booked
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You are supposed to forfeiit the RUC
this has never been the case.

pre-COVID, what happed was:

Case 1: if your RUC had cleared but the ticket had NOT been reissued, the RUC just goes back into your wallet

Case 2: if the ticket had been reissued, the RUC is attached to the credit/voucher for the remaining value of the cancelled ticket and can be used for the next ticket (I don't remember exactly, but I think in this situation you can't waitlist and you basically can only use the RUC if there's space at booking time and you have to use a phone agent to book it)
rogo and HeadInTheClouds like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
this has never been the case.

pre-COVID, what happed was:

Case 1: if your RUC had cleared but the ticket had NOT been reissued, the RUC just goes back into your wallet

Case 2: if the ticket had been reissued, the RUC is attached to the credit/voucher for the remaining value of the cancelled ticket and can be used for the next ticket (I don't remember exactly, but I think in this situation you can't waitlist and you basically can only use the RUC if there's space at booking time and you have to use a phone agent to book it)
You could waitlist under case 2. However if it didn't clear you basically lost the RUC.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
EU - USA Schedule Change Delta One Confirmed with GUC

My wife and I, fingers crossed, hope to visit Spain in Sept. We booked a cash trip using GUCs confirmed, and tickets reissued, into Delta One/FC for all segments. Our return was supposed to be MAD-ATL-CVG. Due to a schedule change, MAD-ATL-CVG is not operating on our return date. Delta has rebooked us one day earlier MAD-ATL-CVG and arriving 3 hours later back home. We cannot leave one day earlier. Given the schedule change, what leverage do I have for Delta to secure business class on partner airlines such as AF or KLM? My only alternative on DL Metal is via JFK but gets us home more than 2 hours later or 6am flights out of MAD, rather than our original 11:15am departure.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm not sure exactly what leverage you have to switch to a partner airline when there are DL metal flights available on the day you intend to travel (if I'm understanding your post correctly in that if you leave on your intended return date, the flight would be to JFK, and then arriving home 2 hours later than scheduled). If the only option was to ATL the day earlier, then you would certainly have the leverage, but for a DL metal flight on your intended travel date, I think your options become limited. (I could be wrong though!). Personally, with all of the international travel still in "limbo" I would keep things simple and stay on DL metal and avoid the codeshare. Codeshares are problematic during normal times, and I can imagine even more so now.
Old May 22, 2021, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You can book any combination of DL/AF/KL/VS needed. They're in a JV for TATL so it doesn't matter to DL which you end up using.

You don't need to clear again. If agents insists politely say you need to think about it, HUCA.
AviationFreak likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
I disagree with keeping on DL metal. They flat out suck and are not reliable whatsoever. AF has been consistent all year to jfk (I don't know about other hubs), or KLM. Delta could give zero fks about their schedule. They canceled my flight to bcn and I asked for AF via cdg. I have 4 other bcn flights booked and wish I booked with AF or KLM.
Old May 23, 2021, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by p100a
I disagree with keeping on DL metal. They flat out suck and are not reliable whatsoever. AF has been consistent all year to jfk (I don't know about other hubs), or KLM. Delta could give zero fks about their schedule. They canceled my flight to bcn and I asked for AF via cdg. I have 4 other bcn flights booked and wish I booked with AF or KLM.
All airlines have had schedule issues. Are they supposed to operate flights just because one person booked it? I flew AF636 yesterday (Friday) and can tell you they lost tons of money. 1 person in F, 1 in J (me, had the entire J cabin on an AF 777 to myself), 34 in Y/W. They flew as scheduled but they're on the verge of collapse because of it.
Old May 23, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Originally Posted by flyerCO
All airlines have had schedule issues. Are they supposed to operate flights just because one person booked it? I flew AF636 yesterday (Friday) and can tell you they lost tons of money. 1 person in F, 1 in J (me, had the entire J cabin on an AF 777 to myself), 34 in Y/W. They flew as scheduled but they're on the verge of collapse because of it.
Cargo is paying the bills.
TechMarauder likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.