Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rebookings with RUCs/GUCs (schedule change/IRROPs/voluntary changes) Thread

Rebookings with RUCs/GUCs (schedule change/IRROPs/voluntary changes) Thread

Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
Yes, a cleared RUC is supposed to give you the same ability to SDC as if you had paid for a FC ticket. After checking in, your app should show you the list of flights that are available for same day confirmed or stand by. They should all display a zero dollar charge to make the change.
Hmmm...interesting. I'll give it a shot on the itinerary that this would be beneficial to me in a couple weeks. Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2021, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
Yes, a cleared RUC is supposed to give you the same ability to SDC as if you had paid for a FC ticket. After checking in, your app should show you the list of flights that are available for same day confirmed or stand by. They should all display a zero dollar charge to make the change.
I hope this is still the case. It just became such a hassle to basically argue with the agents to get them do what they were supposed to do. At one point the language was explicitly clear that RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades qualified as premium cabin tickets, if you knew where to direct the agent to look. However, I’m not sure the language is the same as it was five years ago and I don’t have the ability to look at the exact language in the Delta policies and procedures.

TBH, I’m not sure that it hasn’t changed. There’s now language that paid upgrades are not considered premium cabin, where as in the past they were
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:32 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Hmmm...interesting. I'll give it a shot on the itinerary that this would be beneficial to me in a couple weeks. Thanks!
There is a dedicated thread on this topic:
SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

I was recently able to SDC into last seat first class on an RUC-upgraded itinerary using the SDC feature in the app without trouble. If you need to call, your chances of success decline quite a bit, but there is some advice in that thread for what you can try.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by JCWCVG
This week Delta started a new policy that is still not documented on delta.com. If there is a schedule change that is not favorable compared to your confirmed and re-issued ticket using a GUC, even if it results in a missed connection, any changes must have upgrade space available. On my outbound AF schedule changes would cause my connection from CDG to be missed. This is less than 60 days before departure. Of course, there is no other routing where upgrade space remains this close to departure. Delta will waitlist you, but its a crapshoot from there. In the past, if your ticket was confirmed and re-issued in Delta One, Delta would open space on Delta metal or even work with the partner desk for KL or AF to get you back to a reasonable itinerary in J. It can get even worse. My confirmed Delta One flight using GUC back from Spain on Sept 22 was cancelled. Delta did book me in J, but 1 day earlier. When I called to fix my outbound (miss connection) and the return moved 1 day earlier, the INTL re-issue desk and a supervisor confirmed the recent policy change. Both agents acknowledged how terrible the change is for loyal customers. Curious is anyone else has experienced similar. 2.2M miler with "lifetime" gold will be a free agent if this does not get fixed.
I am very sorry that I forgot about this thread that I posted in myself in July 2021 (#124) when I first encountered this shift by DL.
I ran into a horrible application of DL's policy a few days ago and started a new thread which the mods moved to the 2/1/22 thread.
I have lost hours the last two weekends with changes to my 3/30/22 trip to LHR (open jaw with return from FCO). The latest version DL told me to 'sit on' gives me 16 minutes to connect in ATL (from OKC) on the way to JFK then LHR.
So far, I have not found a supervisor or international reissue person that will avoid the weekly changes to ATL-JFK by simply letting me fly direct ATL-LHR. My current ticket gets me into LHR 2 hours later than the original ticket that was timed to connect to trains on my way to Cambridge for a conference that starts on the day of arrival.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am just reporting that yesterday, DL again refused to move me to a better connection even though they were giving me only 16 minutes in ATL. Now, I am stuck in ATL for 3 hours and 5 hours in JFK on my way to LHR.
There is a direct flight ATL-LHR with open D1 seats, but no ug inventory so DL will not protect me even though they created the crisis.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
And it’s just going to get worse since they keep trimming the schedules.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:18 am

I posted in the GUC post 2/2022 changes thread, but just found this one. Planning to book MSP-HND in January 2022, PS to D1 confirmed.

In my opinion there’s about a 90% chance this flight resumption gets delayed further, even if Japan opens boarders further.

After reading this thread, I honestly can’t believe you lose your confirmed GUC and are put back on the waitlist if flights cancel/change. My assumption they’d simply reroute onto another flight in D1 was apparently naive.

I was thinking about choosing a flight through DTW, which has a better chance of operating, but if a schedule change on that route causes a misconnect I’d still be out of luck.

I still found great value in GUC’s after the 2022 change, but with this information that drastically changes.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
FWIW, yesterday's Schedule Change Saturday gave me an impossible connection time on a trip in January, that had cleared GUCs at booking but not been reissued yet. I called in and was transferred by the initial agent to international support desk, and the 2nd agent didn't push back at all on rebooking me onto different flights, which did not have GUC availability; the only minor hiccup was they at first said the entire business cabin is sold out, but while it's true the particular flight combination cannot be purchased (something weird is going on with inventory, unrelated to Saturdays), there were only 4 occupied and one Xed seat in the J cabin. When I mentioned this and expressed polite skepticism that all of biz was completely sold out 5 months in advance, he put me on hold briefly and then came back with everything processed, including preserving the GUC upgrade on the new flights.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
FWIW, yesterday's Schedule Change Saturday gave me an impossible connection time on a trip in January, that had cleared GUCs at booking but not been reissued yet. I called in and was transferred by the initial agent to international support desk, and the 2nd agent didn't push back at all on rebooking me onto different flights, which did not have GUC availability; the only minor hiccup was they at first said the entire business cabin is sold out, but while it's true the particular flight combination cannot be purchased (something weird is going on with inventory, unrelated to Saturdays), there were only 4 occupied and one Xed seat in the J cabin. When I mentioned this and expressed polite skepticism that all of biz was completely sold out 5 months in advance, he put me on hold briefly and then came back with everything processed, including preserving the GUC upgrade on the new flights.
Likely married segment issue. One flight shows zeroed out, so combined, it shows zero for both flights.

I've had this recently flying CPT-AMS-IAH. I was rebooking to AUS instead of IAH following schedule change. CPT-AMS was actually sold out, AMS-AUS was wide open. However when married together AMS-AUS (actually AMS-anywhere in US) was showing sold out due to CPT-AMS being sold out. Agent had to rebook using a codeshare number to force it.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:12 am
viz

Programs: DL DM, AC 75K, NEXUS, Bonvoy Platinum
I used a GUC to upgrade directly from full Y to KL Z class, which just got cancelled and I got moved to a flight 6 hours later. Will I be able to rebook into D1 or AF J? This would change the routing to via CDG or ATL.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by viz
I used a GUC to upgrade directly from full Y to KL Z class, which just got cancelled and I got moved to a flight 6 hours later. Will I be able to rebook into D1 or AF J? This would change the routing to via CDG or ATL.
Canceled as in IRROP or schedule change? IRROP doesn't require clearing again on partner. In advance they generally only override for DL metal.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:16 am
viz

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Canceled as in IRROP or schedule change? IRROP doesn't require clearing again on partner. In advance they generally only override for DL metal.
Schedule change. The original KLM flight in 3 weeks was canceled
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:48 pm

You bought full Y for a flight that far out? And there was still Z availability?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:27 pm
viz

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You bought full Y for a flight that far out? And there was still Z availability?
vNot necessarily full Y, but the non-eco light fare. When calling in to apply the GUC the agent said policy was to only upgrade non-Eco Light. I've heard you can HUCA but after 3-4 times I just ended up having them upgrade to regular economy
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Another data point - schedule change SAN-IND with confirmed RUC upgrade to first. I tried changing to another flight that only shows GUC availability and I spoke to two different agents on the Diamond line and both claimed that since there was no OL seats, they could not rebook me in first and I would be waitlisted if I made the change. I tried pushing back and saying agents have done so in the past. They put me on hold to check (maybe speak with a supervisor?) and both came back and reiterated what they said previously. Their talking points were extremely similar so I don't think it is a lack of training - on the contrary, that might be the training now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.