Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When will Delta TATL prices get back to normal? Your predictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Delta TATL prices get back to normal? Your predictions?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I'd expect that out of MCO it won't be until BA, VS, and EL start selling flights to Americans again. Hopefully soon!

Just a note, there’s a person holding a ticket on Virgin - they’re selling tickets to Americans right now.

As for the original post, since you only want guesses based on knowledge that no one has good luck with that. But I think your fantasy of “I’m gonna get a really cheap airfare is summer” is probably just that -a fantasy
Old May 18, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I don't often want to agree with Scott Kirby, but he's probably right. Anecdotally, I have a trip to Mexico mid June and I'm amazed by the sold out ness of properties, and who goes to Cabo in the summer in normal times?
I live in the Florida panhandle and have never seen it so slammed with tourists in May, even with lodging prices way up over historic norms. People want their beach vacations really badly this year and I also think there’s this growing sense in general that you need to book something somewhere right now or you’re shut out for the summer rather than waiting for maybe Paris or London.

Pandemic or not, I’ve never seen VPS as utterly crowded as it was when we flew out of there yesterday -almost all the gates in constant use in the afternoon and the terminal expansion can’t come soon enough. PNS and ECP are likely the same.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by pfreet
How long before Delta returns to their traditional pricing?
the question itself is nonsensical. there's no "traditional price" for any given route. Prices on all routes fluctuate based on a number of conditions, it's just that in this particular case the prices for a LOT of routes all fluctuated very rapidly and the size of the fluctuations was in many cases extremely large.

over time prices will continue fluctuating.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:15 am
Suspended

So let's see what will happen to prices now that the EU has decided to reopen. It's possible Americans could enter for non-essential purposes as early as next week. (Depends on when the formalities are completed).

It seems all but certain that vaccinated Americans will be able to enter. There's also a chance non-vaccinated Americans may enter if the US is placed on the list of safe countries. (An expanded list of safe countries is due to be published this Friday.)
Old May 19, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Prices are dropping big time on JFK/BOS-LHR as B6 enters the route. Virgin Atlantic has dropped their fares to match B6, won't be long IMO until the US3 have to match the $1,900 RT J fares (compared to the $3,500 they are asking)
Old May 19, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 8mh
So let's see what will happen to prices now that the EU has decided to reopen. It's possible Americans could enter for non-essential purposes as early as next week. (Depends on when the formalities are completed).

It seems all but certain that vaccinated Americans will be able to enter. There's also a chance non-vaccinated Americans may enter if the US is placed on the list of safe countries. (An expanded list of safe countries is due to be published this Friday.)
Here's a link that does in fact say Vaccinated Americans will be able to travel to the EU for nonessential purposes.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...rs-2021-05-19/

They are expected to set a new list this week or early next week. Based on data from the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Britain and a number of other countries would meet the new criteria.
The United States would not, although Americans with proof of vaccination would be welcomed.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Quick update, Delta offering MCO-LHR for 48,000 (+$214) for most dates in Nov/Dec. That's a great sign. Not the 24,000 pre-covid, but going in the right direction. Funny thing about COVID, once people decide it's over, it ends quickly.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfreet
Quick update, Delta offering MCO-LHR for 48,000 (+$214) for most dates in Nov/Dec. That's a great sign. Not the 24,000 pre-covid, but going in the right direction. Funny thing about COVID, once people decide it's over, it ends quickly.
This were already available and I mentioned the 48K awards on MCO-LHR/CDG above in this post -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33258000-post16.html
The 48K awards are also available from a number of other markets such as MIA, TPA, WAS, and CHI. NYC and BOS are slightly lower at 46K roundtrip.

Here are the seasonality restrictions on the 48K awards --
VALID FOR TRAVEL COMMENCING ON/AFTER 24OCT 21 AND ON/ BEFORE 14DEC 21.
OR - VALID FOR TRAVEL COMMENCING ON/AFTER 25DEC 21 AND ON/ BEFORE 03MAR 22.

Last edited by xliioper; May 20, 2021 at 7:50 pm
Old May 23, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Trying to book ath-jfk-bcn in August and delta app says not possible. Every other airline allows it. More typical delta incompetence.

Fares are also 3x higher.

Old May 24, 2021, 8:48 am

After looking at various routes and pricing I’m fairly certain the higher prices are the result of Delta being uncertain in entry requirements and factoring in the risk that they’ll have to cancel or reschedule huge amounts of tickets.

My hunch would be that once the entry requirements for EU countries are ironed out and more predictable the prices will come down.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by p100a
Trying to book ath-jfk-bcn in August and delta app says not possible. Every other airline allows it. More typical delta incompetence.

Fares are also 3x higher.

Those prices are insane compared to the competition! Eddie obviously is way behind the curve. He should be beating the drum for TATl travel and offering enticing prices, not gouging the customer.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aloha1
Those prices are insane compared to the competition! Eddie obviously is way behind the curve. He should be beating the drum for TATl travel and offering enticing prices, not gouging the customer.
The pricing is due to the particular open-jaw fare combination here ex-EU (ATH-JFK + JFK-BCN). DL/Skyteam cheaper fares allow open-jaw combinations ex-EU, but the origin must be within one country. ATH-JFK + DCA-ATH would be fine, for example. ex-US, trips like JFK-ATH + BCN-DCA also qualify. As with all carriers, the open segment must be equal or less mileage than shortest flown component. On the whole, DL/Skyteam TATL fares are competitive with other airlines. It's this particular type of open-jaw combination where they are not due to fare combination rules.
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 25, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.