Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclub JFK vs Amex Centurion Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Question- I apologize can't find the answer on the threads. If you have a Sky Club executive membership and a Delta Reserve card. Can I bring a guest into the Amex lounge free of charge or just sky club? Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:16 pm

In this environment of crew shortages ,IROPS, and bad weather I would pick the airline lounge just in case something happens you will be able to get a real live person who works for your airline who can help you reroute or overnight you. Even the hold time for Delta Elites goes crazy during a weather related events.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by puntamita
Question- I apologize can't find the answer on the threads. If you have a Sky Club executive membership and a Delta Reserve card. Can I bring a guest into the Amex lounge free of charge or just sky club? Thanks
You would need to pay $50 per guest for up to two guests with the Delta Reserve and both guests would need to be flying Delta. I don't have enough posts yet to add links but it's stated in the "What is the guest policy?" section of the Centurion Lounge info page for access, it's the first result if you Google "Centurion Lounge Access". Sky Club memberships are completely separate from the Centurion Lounge network.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
JFK AMEX Centurion is my favorite in the AMEX network - definitely better than the SkyClub in every regard. Also, they have the best hours (6am-8pm, currently) of any currently open Centurion lounge. Absolutely no need to visit the SkyClub if you've got AMEX access (except, maybe, if you want to visit the SkyDeck).
Are there waiting lines for Amex @JFK late afternoon/early evening? This is a major concern @sfo.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Are there waiting lines for Amex @JFK late afternoon/early evening? This is a major concern @sfo.
Thus far, I haven't heard of any. If/when JFK gets back to 2019 traffic levels (would require European traffic coming back in a big way in particular), it's possible it could happen.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:29 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm on TPG's email list, in a recent mailing they note that if you install the AMEX APP you can see entry status delays for Cent. Lounges in real time
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Have flown out of JFK in the afternoon/evening many times since the lounge opened and never ran into any lines. And don’t forget the VS clubhouse is now an option in the evening as well (the Amex app is wrong and you have access with the Platinum at all hours when they’re open)
Old Feb 6, 2022, 8:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nrr
I'm on TPG's email list, in a recent mailing they note that if you install the AMEX APP you can see entry status delays for Cent. Lounges in real time
Sort of; you get vague descriptions like "Very Busy" or "Almost Full" but it seems like they always say that even after the lounge clears out a bit.

Obviously their check-in computers know exactly when people enter, but they don't really track people leaving (at least not in any obvious way) so I wonder if they just estimate when people are likely to leave (either by knowing the length of an average stay, or just using the 3 hr limit) and that's why it tends to overestimate crowdedness.

EDIT: a better way to do this would be to use wifi/Bluetooth monitoring and count the number of devices present in the lounge

Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by bgriff
Thus far, I haven't heard of any. If/when JFK gets back to 2019 traffic levels (would require European traffic coming back in a big way in particular), it's possible it could happen.
I was in the JFK Centurion Lounge at dinner time (6 pm) a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday evening. There were three people ahead of me to check in, but there were three concierges at the entrance desk, so I got in within a couple of minutes. The lounge was maybe 50% full. They were serving coq au vin for dinner. Very nice.
ostatekitty likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think they scan your boarding pass on entry so they know what flight you’re on - that would be one way to approximate when people leave the lounge.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Frankly I haven't heard much about Centurion Lounge crowding at JFK since it opened. It did open right before/during Covid but crowding hasn't seemed to be a big deal at that location. JFK T4 serves international flights and Delta, and Delta has its own huge lounge, so it should theoretically be one of the least crowded Centurion Lounges in the system going forward
chrisny2 and Boraxo like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In JFK T4 the DL SC is near gate 32, the Cent. Lounge is near TSA c/i. If JFK is your starting point (with or without the APP) you're not going too far out of your way to head to CENT first, for connecting pax who want to use CENT over SC, having a "rough" idea of crowding could save lots of walking.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Frankly I haven't heard much about Centurion Lounge crowding at JFK since it opened. It did open right before/during Covid but crowding hasn't seemed to be a big deal at that location. JFK T4 serves international flights and Delta, and Delta has its own huge lounge, so it should theoretically be one of the least crowded Centurion Lounges in the system going forward
Yeah, I normally take either the red-eye to UK/EU or I take the morning flights to SFO/LAX (all before 9-10am) and on both occasions I didn't run into any issues in regards to crowding. Yes you do get surges here and there but really no major issue especially after 12PM when the downstair section of the lounge is open.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:48 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I sort of see the logic but the problem is, Delta fliers are also disproportionately likely to be Amex Platinum cardholders since the card is especially valuable for people who fly Delta. So there are a lot of eligible customers in T4. (And that huge Sky Club nonetheless was frequently overflowing in the afternoon in pre-COVID times -- to the point that I, at least, would often skip it altogether, so there is room to fill the Centurion Lounge without emptying out the Sky Club much.) I don't know when trans-Atlantic travel will be back to normal, but when it is, I think both lounges will be packed.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bgriff
I sort of see the logic but the problem is, Delta fliers are also disproportionately likely to be Amex Platinum cardholders since the card is especially valuable for people who fly Delta. So there are a lot of eligible customers in T4. (And that huge Sky Club nonetheless was frequently overflowing in the afternoon in pre-COVID times -- to the point that I, at least, would often skip it altogether, so there is room to fill the Centurion Lounge without emptying out the Sky Club much.) I don't know when trans-Atlantic travel will be back to normal, but when it is, I think both lounges will be packed.
And people with the reserve Delta card can also access the CL as well so anyone that can access the Skyclub via Am Ex can also access the CL at JFK. And you don't have guesting privleges at the Skyclub with an Am Ex card but you do currently at the CL if you are using a platinum card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.