Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclub JFK vs Amex Centurion Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by srcolb
Of course -- I'm not a monster!!
Plus, I'll spend half the time looking over my shoulder to make sure noone's listening so it'll become a feint whisper.

I just know that there's a great Office/Work layout at the LAX CL, but couldn't really tell if there was one at the JFK CL; and can't really remember the specifics about Clubhouse other than the bars...
There's an enclosed phone room in the JFK CL (at the back of the boardroom which is on the left side of the lounge on the upper level), but might not be great for working:

Originally Posted by TheDrPhil
In my experience, the three hour rule is strictly enforced. I've seen people turned away at 3 hours and 5 minutes before their flight with an empty lounge. However, if you are on a layover (even with separate tickets) the 3 hour rule doesn't apply.
I think it very much depends on the agent working that day - been let into the JFK lounge at 3h7min prior to departure (with no connection) before
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta PM
Only somewhat off-topic... Have about a 3h layover in SEA coming up; SC or Centurion (or, both?)?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
You enter 2 hours before your scheduled flight, but while in the lounge make a flight change which is for a flt.few hours later.
AMEX should factor in the folllowing scenario: you are booked on a flight (say) 4 hours later but want to go standby on a flt. in 2 hours.
Then you get to stay the whole time because at the time you entered you were in compliance. Your second scenario would be a recipe for a customer service disaster. Too many nuances, too much room for judgment, and they don't have the people or time to come track down people when their time is up. I don't particularly love the 3 hour rule, but it's blunt, it's clear, and it leaves minimal room for judgment.

Originally Posted by dcadwell
Only somewhat off-topic... Have about a 3h layover in SEA coming up; SC or Centurion (or, both?)?
I strongly prefer the SC there. The food is better, it's like 4 times the size, it's just more pleasant. The only perk of the CL is everything from the bar is free, but I'm happy to trade that off for everything else being better at the SC. I'll be back there this weekend as a matter of fact. May drop in the CL just to remind myself why I won't spend 3 hrs there, but there will probably be a waitlist to get in and I won't bother.
IndyHoosier and dcadwell like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks!

I've been to the SC a few times there, just never ventured into the CL.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's not difficult to enforce, they won't let you in if you try >3 hours before your scheduled departure time. It's not like its a max stay of 3 hours whenever you want and you carry around a timer.

However, the 3 hour limit doesn't apply to connections, if you're a Platinum card member. Also the 3 hour limit doesn't apply at all to Centurion cardholders (which the OP says they are), so it's a non-issue in this situation.
Amex Plat card holder here. If we land at JFK from DFW at 12:30pm, and our next flight to MXP doesn't leave until 7:30pm, does that mean the 3 hour entry rule does not apply or will we not be allowed into the Centurion Lounge until 4:30pm?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Amex Plat card holder here. If we land at JFK from DFW at 12:30pm, and our next flight to MXP doesn't leave until 7:30pm, does that mean the 3 hour entry rule does not apply or will we not be allowed into the Centurion Lounge until 4:30pm?
The three hour limit doesn't apply to connecting flights - just make sure you have both boarding passes to show the agent at the lounge.
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nrr
Don't Centurion Lounges have a 3 hour limit; it may be difficult to enforce this rule.
Centurion cards are exempt from this, as are Plat cardholders with long connection. The three hour limit applies to Plat cards (etc.) originating at the airport with the lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
If you have that long of a layover at JFK, I'd just take the E train or LIRR into the city. The lounge is nice but I sure wouldn't want to spend seven hours there if you are spending that much time in a plane
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
I think the speakeasy at the JFK Centurion lounge is not to be missed. The best feature of the SC is the Sky Deck but it's frequently closed. The SC is frequently crowded as well.
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 4MM, Amex Centurion, Delta Reserve
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's not difficult to enforce, they won't let you in if you try >3 hours before your scheduled departure time. It's not like its a max stay of 3 hours whenever you want and you carry around a timer.

However, the 3 hour limit doesn't apply to connections, if you're a Platinum card member. Also the 3 hour limit doesn't apply at all to Centurion cardholders (which the OP says they are), so it's a non-issue in this situation.
Thankfully, the 3 hour limit doesn't apply to me as I'm a Centurion card holder, but that's good to know anyway...
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta
The 3-hour limit isn’t really enforced too strictly from what I’ve gathered.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RichardAnderson1
It has been when I wanted in, even when my flight was after the lounge closed and I wanted to enter less than three hours prior to closing (so there's no way I could have stayed more than three hours). Admission time was based on flight.

Last edited by sethb; Sep 29, 2021 at 11:23 pm
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardAnderson1
I recently got to the CL at about 2h40 before departure, we checked in, and then at the last minute the agent asked to see my boarding pass again. I can't say for sure, but I suspect she was double-checking the time against the 3 hour rule.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:27 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The Priority Pass Wingtips lounge is close to the CL lounge, so if you needed to "tweak" the 3 hr rule for CL, you can hangout there first. [I'm a PP lounge member via either my Amex Plat or Amex Hilton card--I don't remember which(?)]
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I recently got to the CL at about 2h40 before departure, we checked in, and then at the last minute the agent asked to see my boarding pass again. I can't say for sure, but I suspect she was double-checking the time against the 3 hour rule.
I had a 3.5 hour connection the other day and after checking the time on my outbound boarding pass, the agent asked if I was connecting and wanted to see my inbound boarding pass to prove it. So yes I would say it is being enforced.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.