Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Alaska Mileage Redemption Sale (10k miles round trip in Basic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Mileage Redemption Sale (10k miles round trip in Basic)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I also see one through MSP. I just need to get home tomorrow to call or message Delta to deal with it, assuming the will make the change to a Basic Economy ticket.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Just booked this for Memorial Day weekend! I didn't get any targeted e-mails (possibly because my account is registered with a non-U.S. address) so I suppose this is open to everyone. This will go a long way towards helping me with the accelerator!

LAX-FAI is currently 9,000 miles in BE and 14,000 miles in Main Cabin, and the sale is also good for cash tickets; ex-LAX is $158 and BE and $221 in Main Cabin, and is slightly more ex-BUR ($162 in BE). I didn't have much of a choice though with the flights (leaving the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend means I have to leave in the afternoon and arrive either at 11:40 pm or 12:20 am; departing means I leave at 2:00 am regardless of the day), but no matter – I'm excited to see Alaska!

That said, I'm appalled at how expensive rentals are up there: an SUV is $100/day!
Old May 17, 2021, 11:47 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Akiestar
Just booked this for Memorial Day weekend! I didn't get any targeted e-mails (possibly because my account is registered with a non-U.S. address) so I suppose this is open to everyone. This will go a long way towards helping me with the accelerator!

LAX-FAI is currently 9,000 miles in BE and 14,000 miles in Main Cabin, and the sale is also good for cash tickets; ex-LAX is $158 and BE and $221 in Main Cabin, and is slightly more ex-BUR ($162 in BE). I didn't have much of a choice though with the flights (leaving the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend means I have to leave in the afternoon and arrive either at 11:40 pm or 12:20 am; departing means I leave at 2:00 am regardless of the day), but no matter – I'm excited to see Alaska!

That said, I'm appalled at how expensive rentals are up there: an SUV is $100/day!
You're lucky you were able to find anything at all. We have been turning away customers left and right for rentals in ANC and FAI. Believe it or not, $100/day for an SUV is actually quite good right now. We've seen rates as much as $250/day for an economy car and that's when you can even find one at all.
Old May 18, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
You're lucky you were able to find anything at all. We have been turning away customers left and right for rentals in ANC and FAI. Believe it or not, $100/day for an SUV is actually quite good right now. We've seen rates as much as $250/day for an economy car and that's when you can even find one at all.
I'm with Alamo so fingers crossed they're not affected by the shortages. My reservation pulls up so far but I'll be worried if they cancel.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta PM
Precisely this!

I actually got the reminder email from Hertz today for my SUV on Thursday. Lucky I snagged that thing before this sale hit!
Old May 18, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Reminder for anyone that has Exec Elite status with National - one perk is a guaranteed car if you book >24 hours in advance. I was originally searching in ANC in August without being logged in, and there were no cars available. I logged in, and was able to see several vehicles. I reserved a full-size using my corporate rate. This is fantastic as the only other options were Turo or a $2800 2-door through Hertz.

Anyone have any experience with being turned away as an Exec Elite? It's never happened to me, but I have not travelled much recently.
MSPeconomist and dollar like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by bloc0102
Reminder for anyone that has Exec Elite status with National - one perk is a guaranteed car if you book >24 hours in advance. I was originally searching in ANC in August without being logged in, and there were no cars available. I logged in, and was able to see several vehicles. I reserved a full-size using my corporate rate. This is fantastic as the only other options were Turo or a $2800 2-door through Hertz.

Anyone have any experience with being turned away as an Exec Elite? It's never happened to me, but I have not travelled much recently.
While we have no confirmation of this, there was a report here that National may be blocking this benefit in certain locations. We'd be curious if anyone can corroborate this.
MSPeconomist and dollar like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
While we have no confirmation of this, there was a report here that National may be blocking this benefit in certain locations. We'd be curious if anyone can corroborate this.
I saw that, but that poster now says there are cars available, so maybe a temporary issue. I already have a reservation, but suppose I should make some sort of refundable backup plan before flying up there (I don't want to be that data point...).
Old May 18, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
I booked the cash version of this offer for FAI in April for travel later in May as rental cars were only available 3+ weeks out. Calling the rental car company, they mentioned that I should have no issues getting the rental car I booked due to being on a large corporate account. I was even able to negotiate a lower rate with the hotel by calling direct; rates have risen significantly since then.
SUPERTRAVEL and bloc0102 like this.
Old May 22, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: Continental, BA
Hertz manager special

Hi,
I have booked 2 car for 8 on hertz manager special but how wise it to count on that. I am getting nervous because no other company is offering any car. Does any one has any insight if they will be honored and what car may be offered.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by boniam
Hi,
I have booked 2 car for 8 on hertz manager special but how wise it to count on that. I am getting nervous because no other company is offering any car. Does any one has any insight if they will be honored and what car may be offered.
A Manager's Special is simply any vehicle they want to give you. Availability is so tight these days, they don't want to guarantee folks a specific vehicle since it may not be available when you arrive, so it's easier for them to just offer the Manager's Special only and this way, they better manage their inventory.

If you have a confirmed reservation you should be fine. You may get anything from an economy car to an SUV or pickup truck or minivan, but you should at lease get something.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!
Old May 27, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM
A further data point that I'm trying to resolve...

I logged in to check charge statuses on my account and saw the local rental car franchise charged me an extra $85; seems they want to charge me an extra day despite my rental agreement (I returned the car early, not late). Called the local branch and the person that answered the phone couldn't figure out what was going on. Said they'd wait on the manager to call me back once they returned. Could get fun...!
Old May 31, 2021, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This fare is the gift that keeps on giving. 12k r/t, upgraded to F at the PM window for all 4 flights, AND I got the bags on time 2500 skypesos in both FAI and IAH due to slowness. Winner winner, chicken dinner. So net 7k r/t in F. Don't mind if I do.

Also: my rental car reservation at National, they gave me a Jeep Grand Cherokee as a free upgrade from my ICAR. Now whether that was due to my status, corp code, or simply lack of vehicles I'm not sure. Be warned that gas is about $3.20/g in AK. I spent more $ on gas than I did on the rental car.
uanj and DCAhome like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.