Wiki Posts
Search

Meals on Premium Select

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Meals on Premium Select

Hi, I am planning to fly PS to NCE this summer and never flown in this cabin. Does anyone who has flown in the Premium Select Cabin know if Delta will email you before your flight like they do when you fly D1 to select your meal beforehand? Anyone who has flown in D1 before know if the food is more similar to D1 or essentially the same food they give in main cabin?
Old May 10, 2021, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KaitlynPoints
Hi, I am planning to fly PS to NCE this summer and never flown in this cabin. Does anyone who has flown in the Premium Select Cabin know if Delta will email you before your flight like in D1 cabin to select your meal before hand? Anyone who has flown in D1 before know if the food is more similar to D1 or essentially the same food they give in main cabin?
In the past there was pre-select but I don’t think that’s happening anymore.

I found the meals decent. Better than domestic F and definitely better than Y. Pretty much on par with D1 but with a little less presentation and not as many courses. It was a decent amount of food as I remember though. I posted some photos a couple years ago, I’ll see if I can still find them.

Edit: found it. From two summers ago so no guarantees it’ll still be the same thing. You never know at this point.
Old May 10, 2021, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Thanks a lot. I appreciate the link to your old post!
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC when PS was first introduced, meals were essentially the same as D1 but with one of the main course choices omitted.

In 2019, I don't recall being able to preselect meals on PS TPAC segments, but I was always upgraded to D1. The flight I especially remember in this context was when DL released upgrade inventory shortly before the T-24 deadline, so I was able to preselect my D1 meal, but I'm sure I never received the email inviting me to select a PS meal.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: DL DM
My last PS flight was October 2019 MSP-ICN. There was no email to pre-select as with D1 or Domestic F. The menu was a slightly elevated version of the paper menu in Y, and the FA’s didn’t really describe the dishes other than “chicken, beef, or pasta.” The food itself was fairly good, and very similar to D1 meals minus soups and starters.

However with the Covid cuts I wouldn’t expect pre-select in any cabin, and would be very surprised to see a menu in PS. Offerings will probably be very limited unfortunately until late 2021 or into 2022 based off of DL’s drastic cuts.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
My last PS flight was October 2019 MSP-ICN. There was no email to pre-select as with D1 or Domestic F. The menu was a slightly elevated version of the paper menu in Y, and the FA’s didn’t really describe the dishes other than “chicken, beef, or pasta.” The food itself was fairly good, and very similar to D1 meals minus soups and starters.

However with the Covid cuts I wouldn’t expect pre-select in any cabin, and would be very surprised to see a menu in PS. Offerings will probably be very limited unfortunately until late 2021 or into 2022 based off of DL’s drastic cuts.
I'm not so sure about pre-selecting meals. If DL wants to minimize interactions between FAs and passengers, allowing and encouraging customers to pre-order meals would be one way to achiee this.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I last flew PS JFK-KEF in 2019 and was impressed with the food (it was on a domestic 757 with F seating sold as PS). Food was roughly on par with transcon Delta One catering and completely sufficient given the length of the flight (shorter than the typical westbound transcon).

-FlyerBeek

cmd320 likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:06 am

What is that main course supposed to be? The "meat" looks disgusting and the small amount of ketchup or whatever doesn't help.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is that main course supposed to be? The "meat" looks disgusting and the small amount of ketchup or whatever doesn't help.
Lamb chops (crusted in something). IIRC, it was undercooked so I had to send it back to be heated up a little longer, hence why there was a piece cut off in the photo. Once properly reheated they were actually very good - but I also like lamb.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 11, 2021, 5:48 am

That’s pretty much what Delta serves and people on here get hysterical when they don’t get it. LOL

I generally just eat before I get on the plane and pass up whatever Delta thinks they’re trying to pass off as food
DiverDave likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I understand that sitting on a metal tube with not much to do can be a problem, one thing I never worry about is the food , proper plate or plastic tray , airline food is really not that tasty , or I have a odd taste 😁
Old May 11, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
I last flew PS in July 2019 from LAX - PVG on the A350 and was actually impressed with the meal service. I pre-ordered a specific vegetarian meal (Hindu or Buddhist or something akin to that) due to a food allergy, and I often find those more difficult to do well than the standard chicken or beef dishes. Of course, I pushed the vegetable protein to the side of my plate, but... I chose my meal via drop-down menu at time of booking. It was the same menu as D1, though the service was simpler.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by WSTC
I last flew PS in July 2019 from LAX - PVG on the A350 and was actually impressed with the meal service. I pre-ordered a specific vegetarian meal (Hindu or Buddhist or something akin to that) due to a food allergy, and I often find those more difficult to do well than the standard chicken or beef dishes. Of course, I pushed the vegetable protein to the side of my plate, but... I chose my meal via drop-down menu at time of booking. It was the same menu as D1, though the service was simpler.
Special meals are different from being able to choose your main course in advance from the regular offerings. It seems to be a different system, with different timing requirements, etc.
WSTC likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Special meals are different from being able to choose your main course in advance from the regular offerings. It seems to be a different system, with different timing requirements, etc.
Of course, you're correct. My brain isn't fully functioning this morning. "Special meals" explains why I and a few others were served first, and the rest of the cabin played roulette with their dining options.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by WSTC
Of course, you're correct. My brain isn't fully functioning this morning. "Special meals" explains why I and a few others were served first, and the rest of the cabin played roulette with their dining options.
AFAIK you can still order special meals (vegetarian, vegan, kosher, diabetic, etc.) on any sufficiently long DL flight with meal service, even in coach. There have been various reports here about whether these special meals are different in D1, etc.
WSTC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.