Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Impact at ATL due to Colonial Pipeline Shutdown

Old May 10, 2021, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United

It is being reported that ATL may run into fuel shortage issues in a few days should the pipeline not become operational soon.

At a minimum, it would seem likely that in the coming days many DL flights originating from ATL may be making fuel stops en route. And as we all know, any disruption at ATL usually resonates throughout the Delta network.

Things could get interesting, in not a good way.

NBC Story
Old May 10, 2021, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Very interesting article on potential impacts already for AA:
https://onemileatatime.com/airline-f...cked-pipeline/
Old May 10, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Very interesting article on potential impacts already for AA:
https://onemileatatime.com/airline-f...cked-pipeline/
CLTLHR to make a technical stop in BOS and CLTHNL to also make a technical stop in DFW as examples. This should add approximately one hour to each flight.

AA Dispatchers might decide to tanker in fuel from out stations to mitigate issues with scarcity in CLT. This ends up costing more but ensures that there is adequate fuel for flight dispatching.
Old May 10, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Just saw this over on A.net. This could get interesting.

Posters over there said IAD and BWI could also be impacted. I’m flying out of DCA tomorrow, but only hoping up o Maine via JFK.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
AA Dispatchers might decide to tanker in fuel from out stations to mitigate issues with scarcity in CLT. This ends up costing more but ensures that there is adequate fuel for flight dispatching.
AA may have specific contracts in place to avoid price hikes on a short term basis (e.g., they may contract 30 days forward) but refined petroleum prices are already starting to spike in the Southeast. So tankering would actually save money where feasible. Fuel at $3/gallon versus $4/gallon allows a lot of extra weight to be carried. Of course, there are limits to which routes can actually allow tankering.

Today is the first day that we're seeing a big response on gasoline. Lots of localized shortages, although this seems to be more a result of panic buying than actual distillate shortages in the region (still plenty in storage - just shortages at gas stations) - although panic buying could lead to actual real shortages.

Per Colonial, the pipeline should restart operations Friday. If that happens, I think ATL will be okay. Anything that extends beyond Friday could put ATL at serious risk of fuel shortages. I'm assuming Delta is planning (and has already taken) some contingencies here in terms of tankering, fuel stops, and non-traditional delivery via truck.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
CLTLHR to make a technical stop in BOS and CLTHNL to also make a technical stop in DFW as examples. This should add approximately one hour to each flight.

I’m on the DL ATL-HNL non-stop flight right now and thankfully we aren’t making any fuel stops. We did leave the gate 20 mins late even with boarding beginning on-time so not sure if the fuel issues had anything to do with this or not.
wrp96 and Intl359Widget like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
AA may have specific contracts in place to avoid price hikes on a short term basis (e.g., they may contract 30 days forward) but refined petroleum prices are already starting to spike in the Southeast. So tankering would actually save money where feasible. Fuel at $3/gallon versus $4/gallon allows a lot of extra weight to be carried. Of course, there are limits to which routes can actually allow tankering.

Today is the first day that we're seeing a big response on gasoline. Lots of localized shortages, although this seems to be more a result of panic buying than actual distillate shortages in the region (still plenty in storage - just shortages at gas stations) - although panic buying could lead to actual real shortages.

Per Colonial, the pipeline should restart operations Friday. If that happens, I think ATL will be okay. Anything that extends beyond Friday could put ATL at serious risk of fuel shortages. I'm assuming Delta is planning (and has already taken) some contingencies here in terms of tankering, fuel stops, and non-traditional delivery via truck.
Although they may restart operations, fuel moves very slowly through the pipeline. Although fuel may begin moving towards its destination, it may be 1-2 weeks before everywhere is fully supplied with fuel again.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by The Situation
Although they may restart operations, fuel moves very slowly through the pipeline. Although fuel may begin moving towards its destination, it may be 1-2 weeks before everywhere is fully supplied with fuel again.
There is also the Plantation pipeline which traverses roughly the same route, except it terminates in the DC area. It only carries 720K barrels a day versus the Colonial's 2500K barrels a day, but it's something.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=47917

I am flying through ATL on Thursday, hopefully Delta is managing the situation.

Meanwhile all 3 of my cars are full or nearly so, but by happenstance and not sitting in line at gas stations.

David
Old May 11, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by The Situation
While I don't know for sure, I'm assuming the pipeline has not been drained. There may be more mixing than usual of the contents due to the long sitting period but once it starts fuel of some type will start being available.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
While I don't know for sure, I'm assuming the pipeline has not been drained. There may be more mixing than usual of the contents due to the long sitting period but once it starts fuel of some type will start being available.
Will be hugely dependent on pressure... if the pipeline had to be depressurized and has been experiencing light flow, or if they were able to shut-down in the best way and keep everything sealed in. Lots of unique variables will have a massive impact on restart operations and ability to use product in the pipeline now.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would bet if it becomes an issue, flights will be fueled at outstations for both flight to ATL and onward from ATL.
Old May 11, 2021, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Uh-oh! This is not good! They had no more fuel! Wow! Hopefully in a few weeks they will get more fuels again. They should be resolved it soon.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
US fuel pipeline hackers 'didn't mean to create problems'
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57050690

"Our goal is to make money and not creating problems for society," DarkSide wrote on its website.

[...]

The group also indicated it had not been aware that Colonial was being targeted by one of its affiliates, saying: "From today, we introduce moderation and check each company that our partners want to encrypt to avoid social consequences in the future."
Well alrighty then I guess
Old May 12, 2021, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
US fuel pipeline hackers 'didn't mean to create problems'
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57050690

Well alrighty then I guess
A lot of these type organizations are simply out to "screw the company." They have no desire to hurt the everyday person. They're also smart enough to know piss off the masses and they'll quickly be put out of "business."
Old May 12, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah sure, just screw the company and try to extra cash with ransomware... except the 'higher value' targets that they can demand more payment are going to have wide social consequences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.