Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Impact at ATL due to Colonial Pipeline Shutdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact at ATL due to Colonial Pipeline Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
AA may have specific contracts in place to avoid price hikes on a short term basis (e.g., they may contract 30 days forward) but refined petroleum prices are already starting to spike in the Southeast. So tankering would actually save money where feasible. Fuel at $3/gallon versus $4/gallon allows a lot of extra weight to be carried. Of course, there are limits to which routes can actually allow tankering.

Today is the first day that we're seeing a big response on gasoline. Lots of localized shortages, although this seems to be more a result of panic buying than actual distillate shortages in the region (still plenty in storage - just shortages at gas stations) - although panic buying could lead to actual real shortages.

Per Colonial, the pipeline should restart operations Friday. If that happens, I think ATL will be okay. Anything that extends beyond Friday could put ATL at serious risk of fuel shortages. I'm assuming Delta is planning (and has already taken) some contingencies here in terms of tankering, fuel stops, and non-traditional delivery via truck.
Indeed and there is also the incremental cost of fuel burn when a flight has additional weight to carry. This is why the economics of ULH flights have razor thin margins on the basis of fuel burn as they have to carry a lot of fuel in order to reach cruising altitude for economical consumption.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by N830MH
Uh-oh! This is not good! They had no more fuel! Wow! Hopefully in a few weeks they will get more fuels again. They should be resolved it soon.
Who had no more fuel?
Old May 12, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Just saw this over on A.net. This could get interesting.

Posters over there said IAD and BWI could also be impacted. I’m flying out of DCA tomorrow, but only hoping up o Maine via JFK.
Colonial Pipeline operates a tank farm at BWI.
Old May 13, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Colonial reported that pipe operations restarted around 5p yesterday and that it could be several days before normal operations return.

Assuming there are priority levels as to who gets supplied first when such operational issues arise. I would assume anything related to military and commercial aviation will be far ahead of your local gas station. So ATL and other airports up the east coast will probably see little further impacts foregoing. But the irrational behavior of panic buying at gas stations will be with us for some more time. 🍿🤓
Old May 13, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Good think Ed didn’t send DL employees to nearby regional airports with plastic bags to fill up with jet fuel.
The Situation likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Good think Ed didn’t send DL employees to nearby regional airports with plastic bags to fill up with jet fuel.
That is such irresponsible, careless behavior.

They should fill reusable canvas bags.
Old May 13, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
Colonial reported that pipe operations restarted around 5p yesterday and that it could be several days before normal operations return.

Assuming there are priority levels as to who gets supplied first when such operational issues arise. I would assume anything related to military and commercial aviation will be far ahead of your local gas station. So ATL and other airports up the east coast will probably see little further impacts foregoing. But the irrational behavior of panic buying at gas stations will be with us for some more time. 🍿🤓
I don’t think there are priority levels on who gets served first. The pipeline starts in SE Texas and moved up into New York. Those near the start of the pipeline will get access first while those up in New York could take up to 5 days to get it (apparently it only moves 5 miles per hour!)
Old May 13, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I don’t think there are priority levels on who gets served first. The pipeline starts in SE Texas and moved up into New York. Those near the start of the pipeline will get access first while those up in New York could take up to 5 days to get it (apparently it only moves 5 miles per hour!)
There are tank farms along the way, so it won't take 5 days for it to get fuel to NY, since that is serviced by a pipeline and tank farm in Greensboro, NC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.