Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta To Ban Loyalty Program Members That Are Abusive Towards Staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta To Ban Loyalty Program Members That Are Abusive Towards Staff

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Every so often I have a totally unsatisfactory interaction with a company. I had one about six months ago with a cell phone provider who terminated my already-paid-for service, eventually admitted that they shouldn't have, but still refused to do anything about it. A more significant one was about eight years ago with a major credit card provider who repeatedly lied to me about various things, involving a loss of $1600. In the latter case, just to give one snippet, I said at one point "I'm specifically requesting that you not delete any of the recorded phone conversations about this matter" and of course they deleted the conversations.

I've had many phone calls that being with me saying something like "I'm very angry, this is my 14th call about this issue, you personally may not have done anything wrong but your company has repeatedly lied to me and I don't want excuses or policies, I want a resolution." And about the second, or maybe even first, time they say "I'm very sorry" I will cut them off and say "No, you're not sorry, if you were sorry you'd have fixed this instead of lying to me"

Calling the company collectively a liar, and cutting an employee off mid-sentence - these aren't the height of civility, but there are times when the right to civility is forfeit. I don't ever remember a major meltdown with an airline like this. I would not want to feel like if I had to say these things, they'd say "Kiss your 1.2 million Skymiles goodbye."
readywhenyouare and LWkitty like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by redtop43
I've had many phone calls that being with me saying something like "I'm very angry, this is my 14th call about this issue, you personally may not have done anything wrong but your company has repeatedly lied to me and I don't want excuses or policies, I want a resolution." And about the second, or maybe even first, time they say "I'm very sorry" I will cut them off and say "No, you're not sorry, if you were sorry you'd have fixed this instead of lying to me"
If I may offer some unsolicited advice: cut out the last part (the part in response to the first "I'm sorry"), as that will end up sounding to the agent that you are saying that they - personally - are not sorry (they probably are genuinely sorry about your experience, or at least about the fact that you are frustrated and unhappy), and that they - personally - are lying to you (all they know is what their computer screen tells them, so while they may very well be lying to you, it's not intentional as they are going on what "the computer tells them").

Stick to the high ground, and whenever you express frustration preface it with something like "please don't take this personally, I have nothing against you and appreciate your help [if they really appear to be trying to help], but your company, ..." and then go into what you want to say. Or try to get the agent on your side, ask them to put themselves in your shoes; if they say something like "if I was you, I would be just as frustrated and unhappy," then you know that you've just made an ally who will do their best to help you. They may or may not be able to resolve your issue, but at least they will help.

At the very least, be clear that your frustration is not personal but directed solely at the company. Optionally try to get the CS person to see it from your perspective, try to get them to imagine themselves in your situation. That can work wonders.

Just some unsolicited advice, that may make a world of difference, IME.
mayhem and cappilot like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM
It's about time.
N830MH and gooselee like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by golfr
It's about time.
This statement would imply that such behavior happens regularly. Can you share the many examples you have personally witnessed of someone repeatedly insulting/cursing/threatening a Delta employee or destroying Delta property? Usually such incidents result in the authorities being called and is covered by the media.
RealHJ likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If customer curses minimum 2x - the rep should kindly indicate this is being recorded and giving you a warning the language is not acceptable and another application results in banning the customer.
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Here is the issue at hand, no cursing should occur in any dialogue in the first place. No matter what status you have nor how bad of a day you had, no interaction should ever involve, anger, disruptive, expletive filled, or unprofessional behavior with any business staff, period.
While I am invariably sunny and polite with airline agents there exist individuals who are afflicted with a condition known as coprolalia - "the involuntary and repetitive use of obscene language, as a symptom of mental illness or organic brain disease" - a relatively rare but documented symptom of Tourette Syndrome. I think the airline should exercise considerable forbearance when dealing with customers suffering from this socially debilitating condition.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Beetles
Perhaps recording ones call when interacting with a reservations agent is something people should consider moving forward. Aside from obvious examples of abuse, it has been pointed out that a simple disagreement over a policy, or even conveying frustration may get a remark in an account that’s grossly fabricated. It got back to me once that an agent documented my record as “extremely rude”. Fortunately I used the messaging service and had screenshot the conversation because the agent refused to end the engagement after I repeatedly tried to end the chat and be done with said agent. Later on that day I called about the booking and the phone agent told me the previous agent documented the PNR. I wasn’t ever rude, but I was firm. I followed up and was quickly offered an apology after I submitted the screenshots.

So, start recording calls and taking screen shots of messaging conversations.
You make a very good point. Delta's financial shape isn't good at all and this is a fine method of getting hundreds of millions of dollars worth of liabilities in redeemable miles off the books.
RealHJ likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Nothing like a dust up that is open ended and subjective

Just how and who decides that a line was crossed? Is it based on personal pronouns vs 3rd party management folks?

Let's start in this forum and decode posters by virtue of posted hints that ensure Delta's great computer system will identify some of us for special handling at the gate downgrade window
N830MH and RealHJ like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Are JWDs even issued to DL elites nowadays still?
I still get them every year, and actually just got some a couple months ago. Idk maybe DL just likes me better for some reason.
Old May 7, 2021, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I still get them every year, and actually just got some a couple months ago. Idk maybe DL just likes me better for some reason.
These only go to DM right?
Old May 7, 2021, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cmd320
These only go to DM right?
PMs get them too, although apparently distrbution of new JWDs is suspended for the time being:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...ws-and-updates

August 21, 2020

Update to 'Job Well Done' Recognition Program

We know that recognizing Delta employees who go above and beyond is important to you, and we are grateful for your thoughtfulness. While we have paused the inclusion of Job Well Done certificates in Diamond and Platinum Medallion Welcome Kits, your positive feedback still means everything to our employees. Please share your stories about employees who have made your journey great at [email protected].

And existing Job Well Done certificates don’t expire, so please continue to give them to exceptional employees you encounter along your travel.
RealHJ and cmd320 like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by kale73
While I am invariably sunny and polite with airline agents there exist individuals who are afflicted with a condition known as coprolalia - "the involuntary and repetitive use of obscene language, as a symptom of mental illness or organic brain disease" - a relatively rare but documented symptom of Tourette Syndrome. I think the airline should exercise considerable forbearance when dealing with customers suffering from this socially debilitating condition.
No business should base overall policy on the potential for an extremely rare few to occasionally interact with the business. Tourette Syndrome is primarily a children's disease, with a lot of reduction by age 18. Not very many children calling Delta customer service is my guess.
Old May 7, 2021, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
PMs get them too, although apparently distrbution of new JWDs is suspended for the time being:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...ws-and-updates
I may stand corrected, but I could swear I got a PM welcome kit with JWDs earlier this year. I most certainly got them in early 2020 because I remember being surprised by a mailer at requal and again at the end of the Medallion year and having a glut of JWDs.
Old May 7, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I may stand corrected, but I could swear I got a PM welcome kit with JWDs earlier this year. I most certainly got them in early 2020 because I remember being surprised by a mailer at requal and again at the end of the Medallion year and having a glut of JWDs.
Sidenote, but I never really understood why they only give these out to the higher elite levels. Seems someone’s status level shouldn’t really matter when it comes to recognizing outstanding service.

I will say I’ve never been higher than GM with Delta but at one point when DL’s service standards were quite high, I’d give out AAplause certificates to DL employees when I had no AA employees to give them to. I told an FA once I didn’t have any DL ones but did have the AA equivalent and wanted to recognize his excellent service. I gave him an AAplause as a symbolic gesture and he thanked me profusely and said he would pass it and my comments on to his manager. No idea if it has any impact on anything at all, but I hoped it would do something for him.
RealHJ and strickerj like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo

Let's start in this forum and decode posters by virtue of posted hints that ensure Delta's great computer system will identify some of us for special handling at the gate downgrade window
Oh yes! That’s for sure! They will identify them. They will ban them.
Old May 7, 2021, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Part of your Medallion package? I don't think I even got one this year, or last year for that matter, though the status of course is active and has renewed online properly. Not sure if it wasn't sent or the mail was lost/misdelivered (wouldn't be the first piece of mail that was sent, yet never makes it to me). I guess I can ask DL to send me the JWD #s via e-mail, since I never got the paper form, it doesn't appear in the app or site wallet, but still is a thing. (Good to know that DL hasn't quietly discontinued the JWDs, at least not yet. I feared those had went the way of PU503s and so many other great things that DL made sure to quietly kill off.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.