Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Status match from AS and newbie questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM

Okay, the obligatory disclaimer that I have tried the search function but it doesn't quite address my questions.
I have been denied status match twice for sending the wrong information. AS 75K looking for Delta gang colors. I tried sending the excel export of my travel history in addition to my credentials and that didn't work. I tried sending screen shots of my travel history from the app in a pdf and my credentials in a pdf. That didn't work. What is the correct information I need to send?
Can I do a status challenge while having DL Silver status?
How do say day changes work? I'll be hyper specific for my situation. I usually travel EKO>SLC>EUG<>PDX. Can I do a EKO>SLC>SEA>EUG<>PDX if there is space and faster?Can I do it in that app or do I need to call? I'm not suggesting changing EUG to PDX or vice versa as I understand the original destination needs to remain the same.
Thanks for responding to the thread. I know its easy to gloss over the "I'm new" threads but it really helps us out.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
Okay, the obligatory disclaimer that I have tried the search function but it doesn't quite address my questions.
I have been denied status match twice for sending the wrong information. AS 75K looking for Delta gang colors. I tried sending the excel export of my travel history in addition to my credentials and that didn't work. I tried sending screen shots of my travel history from the app in a pdf and my credentials in a pdf. That didn't work. What is the correct information I need to send?
Can I do a status challenge while having DL Silver status?
How do say day changes work? I'll be hyper specific for my situation. I usually travel EKO>SLC>EUG<>PDX. Can I do a EKO>SLC>SEA>EUG<>PDX if there is space and faster?Can I do it in that app or do I need to call? I'm not suggesting changing EUG to PDX or vice versa as I understand the original destination needs to remain the same.
Thanks for responding to the thread. I know its easy to gloss over the "I'm new" threads but it really helps us out.
I cannot answer the status question.

Given your routing (DL does not fly EUG<>PDX), you probably will have zero luck with same day changes and getting where you want to go especially if you are booked on main cabin tickets since your booked fare class must be available to do a change. You also must call to do a SDC/SDS and the wait time is usually several hours and that is assuming that the agent will follow the published rules and not make them up as the go along (which is most of the time). You are likely better off on AS in your situation.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL has generally not done status matches for people who already have DL status in the past. Although there is no longer language that prohibits it, so it's difficult to know if that is still the case. You can do SDC/SDS online (I've done it a number of times). EKO-PDX fares do not allow EKO-SLC-SEA-PDX routings, only EKO-SLC-PDX. So you will likely have issues trying to double connect on those. Probably won't be many instances where it is faster. EKO-EUG fares allow EKO-SLC-SEA-EUG routings. The main problem with online SDC is it only allows you to SDC to flights within a 24-hour window of the current time. So if you want to SDC to a later flight, you will need to call (when the SDC window opens at T-24 to your current flight) if you want a better shot at the SDC going through.

Last edited by xliioper; May 4, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Old May 4, 2021, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that coach SDCs require the same fare class availability. If OP plans to buy cheap tickets in advance and planes are fairly full, this can be a problem. SDS is allowed, but OP might not want to do that.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that coach SDCs require the same fare class availability. If OP plans to buy cheap tickets in advance and planes are fairly full, this can be a problem. SDS is allowed, but OP might not want to do that.
Great point. Im trying to equate apples to apples when in fact they are oranges.I was only thinking main cabin to main cabin and not fare code to fare code. Looks like canceling and buying a clean new fare might be the easier method.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
Great point. Im trying to equate apples to apples when in fact they are oranges.I was only thinking main cabin to main cabin and not fare code to fare code. Looks like canceling and buying a clean new fare might be the easier method.
It's fare class to fare class, usually meaning the booking code and the first letter of the fare code, Y B M H Q K L U T X V for coach.

If you call DL, they should be willing to let you pay the fare difference (upfare) if you want to SDC, but it can sometimes be expensive.

You can currently cancel (at least if you don't have a basic economy ticket, IIRC the rules on these are changing and won't be as flexible) for free and get a full credit for nonrefundable fares. Refundable fares are likely to be changeable for free; if so, you wouldn't need to wait for the SDC window to open 24 hours before scheduled departure of your original flight, but watch out for situations where they need to refare the ticket.
Idaho Territory likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Situation
I cannot answer the status question.

Given your routing (DL does not fly EUG<>PDX).
My apologies. I was trying to say EUG or PDX. I utilize the destinations interchangeably however understand that for round trip routing the origination and return destination must remain the same.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's fare class to fare class, usually meaning the booking code and the first letter of the fare code, Y B M H Q K L U T X V for coach.
Also note that if interested in SDC, buying up to C+ may be a good option as this does not require same fare class but just an open seat in C+ (and if none available, you can "downgrade" to Main Cabin to an empty seat).
Old May 4, 2021, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
Also note that if interested in SDC, buying up to C+ may be a good option as this does not require same fare class but just an open seat in C+ (and if none available, you can "downgrade" to Main Cabin to an empty seat).
However, phone agents are even less likely to be aware of these rules than they are to know that on a paid FC ticket, fare class availability doesn't matter if DL is willing to sell a FC seat on the flight.
Idaho Territory likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.