Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more free 2nd baggage to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
The calculator doesn't seem to think so.

If you were flying a BE fare (no free bags included), your AMEX would give you a free 1st bag, but 2nd bag would be $100 not $60. Basically the $40 is taken off the $100 price of 2nd bag if 1st bag is included with fare.

I was looking at ATL-SCL couple weeks ago for reference. It looks like now just as in your example they both show as $60 for 2nd bag. Curious if someone messed up and accidentally put $100 for 2nd bag for South America when should've been $60.

I forget the thread it was in, but others pulled it up and it showed the same, $100 without AMEX, $60 with AMEX for non-BE, main cabin 2nd bag. We were all shocked since there had been nothing announced.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 11, 2021 at 10:38 pm
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
I thought DL Amex free bag was limited to US / Canada / Caribbean flights and excluded international flights (unless you have DL FO in which case you do get the extra bag free)
I just flew to Sao Paulo and I had three free bags. I'm an FO and Amex holder. I've flown to Europe on Delta and also had the two extra bags. It seems to stack for me.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:14 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I’m quite upset about this stealthy baggage fee increase. Can DOT or consumer protection agencies do anything to force airlines to disclose any changes to fees? These baggage fee calculators gig, similar to United, conveniently (for the airlines) hides all increases without customer’s knowledge to changes. Grrr….

Jiburi

dot indicates….

§399.85 Notice of baggage fees and other fees.

(a) If a U. S. or foreign air carrier has a website accessible for ticket purchases by the general public in the U.S., the carrier must promptly and prominently disclose any increase in its fee for carry-on or first and second checked bags and any change in the first and second checked bags or carry-on allowance for a passenger on the homepage of that website (e.g., provide a link that says “changed bag rules” or similarly descriptive language and takes the consumer from the homepage directly to a pop-up or a place on another webpage that details the change in baggage allowance or fees and the effective dates of such changes). Such notice must remain on the homepage for at least three months after the change becomes effective.

Last edited by jiburi; Jun 17, 2021 at 4:19 am
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems they use the Delta Professional site for update notices -- https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...itinerari.html
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jiburi
I’m quite upset about this stealthy baggage fee increase. Can DOT or consumer protection agencies do anything to force airlines to disclose any changes to fees? These baggage fee calculators gig, similar to United, conveniently (for the airlines) hides all increases without customer’s knowledge to changes. Grrr….

Jiburi

dot indicates….

DOT rules require that nah fees be the ones when your purchase. There's nothing stealthy about the increase.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I just flew to Sao Paulo and I had three free bags. I'm an FO and Amex holder. I've flown to Europe on Delta and also had the two extra bags. It seems to stack for me.
IIRC Brazil has laws or regulations regarding free checked bags on flights to/from Brazil. I think the same might be true for a couple other countries.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Depending on when you bought your ticket, Brazil may have already included two free bags. Although that doesn't really explain Europe allowance. Here's the lone exception mentioned for stacking of Amex baggage benefit --

"Silver Medallions who also hold a SkyMiles credit card from American Express will be able to receive a second bag free (up to two free bags at 70 pounds or 32 kg each) for themselves and up to eight (8) others traveling in the eligible member’s reservation, for flights within the U.S. and Canada."

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 18, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DOT rules require that nah fees be the ones when your purchase. There's nothing stealthy about the increase.
Also, UA's baggage # on the purchase receipt is consistently wrong (but no DOT action either. Maybe just because no one complained)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33138832-post4.html

Anyways, any baggage waivers (due to elite status/credit card during checkin?) may not show up on receipt, calculated via the baggage calculator/chart (which is subject to devaluation at any time)
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by paperwastage
Also, UA's baggage # on the purchase receipt is consistently wrong (but no DOT action either. Maybe just because no one complained)

Anyways, any baggage waivers (due to elite status/credit card during checkin?) may not show up on receipt, calculated via the baggage calculator/chart (which is subject to devaluation at any time)
I'm not sure what was wrong in linked post. Also US rules allow carrier to choose between marketing carrier of 1st segment or of the most significant segment. Just whichever is picked must apply for return.

I think the error on UA isn't really an error. They're just not including elite/card waivers of fees on printed recipet. However looking at that thread, when go online and look it reflects those waivers. Makes sense to me since waivers aren't included under DOT rules. Also those rules only apply if there's an origin or destination in US, not just a connection. (One post was I believe Central America to Europe)

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 18, 2021 at 8:38 am
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by paperwastage

IIRC your baggage allowance (without considerations for status, credit cards, etc.) remains wha it was when you purchased the ticket, and should have been displayed on the ticket receipt at that time, according to DOT rules (for flights to/from USA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.