Wiki Posts
Search

Open seats on sold out flight

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Open seats on sold out flight

I am on the MSP-HNL flight in October, DL shows it as sold out but plenty of seats on the map for me to move around.
Does this mean it is likely to be cancelled in a schedule change?

Im in Delta One and would gladly move to the ATL flight, just curious, I know it's early.

Schedule change gods give and take
Old May 1, 2021, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
today is “Schedule Change Saturday” which means neither availability nor seat maps are likely to be accurate ... check again Monday
Old May 1, 2021, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
today is “Schedule Change Saturday” which means neither availability nor seat maps are likely to be accurate ... check again Monday
Will do, I did see the same yesterday, but I will look again Monday.
Old May 1, 2021, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
seat maps mean nothing.

lots of people aren't that botherd with selecting a seat in advance.
DenverBrian, writerguyfl and wrp96 like this.
Old May 1, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
seat maps mean nothing.

lots of people aren't that botherd with selecting a seat in advance.
And a good portion can’t even if they want to (Basic Economy).
Old May 1, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keith2004
Will do, I did see the same yesterday, but I will look again Monday.
They usually begin zeroing out seats of flights they intend to cancel before schedule change Saturday when they actually cancel the flight. It looks like the flight will not operate between September 7th - November 19th and it resumes again on November 20th. If they did not cancel it this weekend, it will likely hit on next weekend.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
They usually begin zeroing out seats of flights they intend to cancel before schedule change Saturday when they actually cancel the flight. It looks like the flight will not operate between September 7th - November 19th and it resumes again on November 20th. If they did not cancel it this weekend, it will likely hit on next weekend.
Thanks! That would be a win because I would switch to the ATL 330 Delta one both ways which is significantly better than the 767-300. I booked DCA-HNL via MSP with hopes of SDC to ATL but this works too. Will update this thread if they do change it next Saturday.
DCAhome likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:50 am

Flight cancled

Thanks! That would be a win because I would switch to the ATL 330 Delta one both ways which is significantly better than the 767-300. I booked DCA-HNL via MSP with hopes of SDC to ATL but this works too. Will update this thread if they do change it next Saturday.
The direct MSP-HNL and HNL-MSP flights were cancled from roughly mid September to mid November.

I was scheduled 9/18 out 10/18 return
I was automaticly rebooked on the HNL-ATL return but the outbound leg they booked me through LAX on a 757-300.

I messaged Delta and was able to switch my outboad to the ATL direct.

I am in Delta One for both legs.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BrightonBill
The direct MSP-HNL and HNL-MSP flights were cancled from roughly mid September to mid November.

I was automaticly rebooked on the HNL-ATL return but the outbound leg they booked me through LAX on a 757-300.

That is a very good outcome for your situation.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted a couple posts above yours, it was seasonally suspended from September 7th to November 19th and resumes on November 20th.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Nice,

I was on D1 from WAS via MSP and they automatically put me on the ATL flights, which was great, but for some reason they can't get the ATL-WAS leg included, even when I called, told me to wait a week , I will try calling again tomorrow.

They have me going HNL-ATL-MSP...Then misconnect to WAS. Not sure why the system is still trying to get me to MSP
Old May 9, 2021, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I did some booking searches and they are not selling D1 HNL-WAS, could it still be the schedule change Saturday working itself out?

I have seen before where Delta IT tries to fly you back to your original connection city.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did some booking searches and they are not selling D1 HNL-WAS, could it still be the schedule change Saturday working itself out?

I have seen before where Delta IT tries to fly you back to your original connection city.
When are you searching? D1 fares to/from HNL are complex. They have different fare filings for different routings (via MSP, ATL, DTW, etc.). I'm not seeing availability on HNL-ATL-WAS routings other than relatively close-in. HNL-MSP-WAS seems to have more regular availability. Does not seem to be a married inventory issue as there generally seems to be at least J bucket open on ATL routings. Okay, I think my problems were with using Google Flights to search. ITA Matrix is more reliable about showing availability. Although it looks like broken fares will often price out cheaper as there is frequently only J open on married segments.

Last edited by xliioper; May 9, 2021 at 11:08 am
Old May 9, 2021, 11:05 am
Original Poster

D1 fares to/from HNL are complex. They have different fare filings for different routings (via MSP, ATL, DTW, etc.). I'm not seeing availability on HNL-ATL-WAS routings other than broken fares. MSP routings seem generally available. This would cause issues when MSP flight does not operate.
Is this something supervisors can generally override or get through?
I'm wondering how long the fares will remain broken. Seems strange they are not selling D1 HNL-ATL-WAS at all. My outbound WAS-ATL-HNL is no problem. And they are definitely selling HNL-ATL-WAS in Main and C+
Old May 9, 2021, 11:10 am
Original Poster

When are you searching? D1 fares to/from HNL are complex. They have different fare filings for different routings (via MSP, ATL, DTW, etc.). I'm not seeing availability on HNL-ATL-WAS routings other than relatively close-in. HNL-MSP-WAS seems to have more regular availability. Does not seem to be a married inventory issue as there generally seems to be at least J bucket open on ATL routings.
Just saw the edit, I was searching on DL Website and App, and I called in to PM line, but the call was yesterday.
last time something similar happened they moved me from a Z fare to a J fare. Currently booked on a C fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.