Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta JFK to DBV (Dubrovnik , Croatia) Service in 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

A press announcement is scheduled tomorrow for Delta Airlines launch from JFK to Dubrovnik this summer.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/travel/52544-jfk-to-dubrovnik
Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The article notes that it is speculation.

That said, would not surprise me if it happens but I would expect (or would have expected) an announcement already today, not an announcement tomorrow.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not surprising. UA announced their EWR-DBV flights last week.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Something they probably should have done last year when Croatia was the only place open.

Delta interestingly is the last US major to announce DBV.
SFO777 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Delta interestingly is the last US major to announce DBV.
Did I miss an AA announcement? Don't think they have any flights scheduled to DBV.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacar
Did I miss an AA announcement? Don't think they have any flights scheduled to DBV.
I believe it was a 2018 announcement or maybe 2019. Only ran summer of 2019 to my knowledge, seems like a logical route to bring back though.
Old May 2, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium
Maybe the premise of the story was correct but the Delta involvement was not. This was posted to that same news site today.

Pragusa Announces Direct Flights from New York, Los Angeles to Dubrovnik (total-croatia-news.com)
Old May 2, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
I believe it was a 2018 announcement or maybe 2019. Only ran summer of 2019 to my knowledge, seems like a logical route to bring back though.
American Airlines expected to return to Dubrovnik Airport next summer | Croatia Week
N830MH and cmd320 like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Who or what is Pragusa? Never heard of them.
Old May 2, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
It's apparently some all premium-economy startup. Not sure how well that's going to go, but more competition is always a welcome thing.
Old May 2, 2021, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Do you know what Raguza means? Back in the 1500s and on Dubrovnik was considered the wealthiest region in Europe, what Luxemburg, or Lichtenstein would be today. The English use to call their merchant ships Argosy, or in Greek Argonauti. Raguza's expansion to the north established the town of Ston which is considered the world's oldest sea salt production. A kilogram of salt back then was equal to a kilogram of gold, that's how valuable it was. Anyone traveling there definitely need to visit Ston, plus Pelesac is a great wine region where Grgic has his original vineyards. For those who don't know Grgic practically put Napa Valley in California on the map buy winning a chardonnay taste test in France. A movie was based on this, and when Grgic immigrated to the States he brought one grape vine with him from Croatia, true story.

BTW Delta certainly is starting JFK service, should be announced any day now. .
SDQBound and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Originally Posted by NOIR
Do you know what Raguza means? Back in the 1500s and on Dubrovnik was considered the wealthiest region in Europe, what Luxemburg, or Lichtenstein would be today. The English use to call their merchant ships Argosy, or in Greek Argonauti. Raguza's expansion to the north established the town of Ston which is considered the world's oldest sea salt production. A kilogram of salt back then was equal to a kilogram of gold, that's how valuable it was. Anyone traveling there definitely need to visit Ston, plus Pelesac is a great wine region where Grgic has his original vineyards. For those who don't know Grgic practically put Napa Valley in California on the map buy winning a chardonnay taste test in France. A movie was based on this, and when Grgic immigrated to the States he brought one grape vine with him from Croatia, true story.

BTW Delta certainly is starting JFK service, should be announced any day now. .
Ston is also famous for the oyster farms that supply most of Europe next to France if I recall. Great place! Look fwd dbv starting.
Old May 2, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Yes, they will fly from LAX/EWR to DBV.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
With the other carriers going to DBV, why didn't Delta do something different, such as flying to SPU? Split is one of the neatest places I've ever been to. The world's oldest Catholic cathedral is there (which is built over the masoleum of the Roman dictator Diocletian, who engaged in severe persecutions of Christians in the early 4th century); much of downtown Split was once part of Diocletian's palace. Split has a connection with Notre Dame, as the late great sculptor Ivan Mestrovic owned a villa there which is maintained as a museum displaying his work (Mestrovic spent the last seven years of his life as sculptor in residence at ND).

For those going to Croatia, get a bottle of Pelinkovac and slowly sip it while the world goes by. Good stuff!!!
passmf, wetrat0, NOIR and 3 others like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ND76
With the other carriers going to DBV, why didn't Delta do something different, such as flying to SPU?
I enjoyed Split much more than Dubrovnik, but thinking about all the places visited last time in Croatia - Zagreb, Plitvička jezera, Split, Dubrovnik - flying into or out of Split would have involved some backtracking to visit all of those places. I'm not sure how many tourists do more than Split/Dubrovnik, but for me, driving north to south worked pretty well, and the opposite would have worked well too. Flying into Zagreb or Dubrovnik just seems to make more sense if you're visiting more of the country. (Again, no idea how common that is among summer tourists.)
wetrat0 and SeaHawg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.