Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK-ZRH Summer of 2021 Consolidated Questions

Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:39 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I was curious to see what flts between jfk and zrh are scheduled for July, DL IS running n/s service. Is anyone flying that route? [KLM, SWISS, UNITED are also listed] Is all this "wishful thinking" that things will improve in the summer?
PS: When I flew AA, I've flown between JFK and ZRH n/s, with 1/2 full planes--well before COVID.

Last edited by nrr; Apr 7, 2021 at 9:46 am
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The KLM and United flights listed out of JFK are just codeshares on partner metal. SWISS is currently flying JFK-ZRH and EWR-ZRH and UA just restarted EWR-ZRH at 3x weekly on April 1. DL is supposed to restart JRK-ZRH on June 5th. But they had originally scheduled it as a May restart and pushed it back to June this past weekend, so I wouldn't be too comfortable it will actually restart then. JFK to FRA, BRU, BCN, ATH, and LIS also had restarts pushed back to June.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 7, 2021 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:21 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A Tale of Two GUCs

I purchased a DL Vacation Package for JFK-ZRH for July, I needed agent assistance since I wanted to purchase Premium Select and then upgrade to D1 using GUCs (maximizing MQDs for minimum cost with the aid of the accelerator), after 1 disconnect and moderate hold time I had my itn. When I asked about GUC usage: "call DL Skymiles". After only 30 minutes on hold on DM line the agent noted "your flts are bulk fare GUCs can't be used, you have to call DL Vacations".
I did a search on www.delta.com at Medallion Complimentary Upgrades : Delta Air Lines I found the following:
Ticket Eligibility: Upgrade Certificates can be used on paid tickets, Award Travel tickets and Miles + Cash tickets on Delta-operated flights, Pay with Miles tickets, Companion Certificates and tickets booked as a part of a Delta Vacations package. They cannot be used on tickets booked in Basic Economy.
Upgrading with Delta Vacations: Need to apply an Upgrade Certificate to a flight that was booked as a part of a Delta Vacations package? Call 1-800-800-1504.

After 2 hours on hold with DL Vacations I got to an agent and described my issue, noting that they were supposed to handle it. I gave the agent my GUC ticket numbers...after 45 minutes "what are the redemption codes?"...15 minutes later I was located in D1.
With past GUC usage with a DL Vacation bookings, when I tried to upgrade to D1 if I called the DM line, they would contact DL Vacations for permission to process my upgrade.
It shouldn't be this complicated.
UNLESS EU FULLY OPENS TO USA VACCINATED PAX--ALL MY EFFORTS MAY HAVE BEEN IN VAIN.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

jfk-zrh n/s no longer listed for July

I booked a n/s itn (via DL Vacations) between jfk and zrh for early July (I even upgraded from PS to D1 using GUCs). A flt search on www.delta.com has NO n/s for July, the n/s is listed in Aug. I've received NO notifications from DL re cancellations, on the APP the seat maps (still) allow seat changes.
Besides going to zrh, I booked my itn to maximize MQDs and minimize cost (factoring in the accelerator),
On www.delta.com for my dates only connections through AMS, CDG or FCO are listed. I'm sure that (eventually) DL will notify me about the cancellation. For connections which is better CDG or AMS?
[The accelerator won't apply since all their listed flts are KLM or AF]
I've done the DL metal via DL Vacations computations, I get about 3x MQDs over what I paid for hotel + flts in PS. While partner (AF, KLM) won't earn accelerator, it may give me "good" MQDs.
I'm assuming Switz, is "open" in July..

Last edited by nrr; Apr 29, 2021 at 2:48 pm
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Not sure why you aren't seeing it, but DL52 (JFK-ZRH) is available for sale daily beginning July 7.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:52 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The rules get really confusing (and of course change frequently), but to be safe I'd verify transit restrictions and testing requirements for France, Netherlands and Italy here, as you evaluate your options:

Re-open EU (europa.eu)
Old Apr 29, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
What dates? I see DL 52 operating from 7/7 onwards on expert flyer and it is bookable on DL.com.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 3:27 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7/1-7/8 only connections are listed.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Doing a google flight search it looks like the n/s begins running on 7/7.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:04 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I do wonder whether they’re going to end up axing additional weeks past 7/7- probably depends on whether Switzerland opens up to US travelers
Old Apr 29, 2021, 6:13 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
I do wonder whether they’re going to end up axing additional weeks past 7/7- probably depends on whether Switzerland opens up to US travelers
The opening of EU (as well as Switz.) is a "wild card" now. If COVID cases begin to drop I think things should change in the + direction for US pax going to Europe.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I purchased G class PS and was upgraded via GUCs to D1, but if my flts no longer exist and DL rebooked me with connections on KLM or AF would I be flying FC without further payments on my part?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of TATL routes had their restarts delayed from June into July the past week or so (after having previously getting pushed back from May to June -- see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33152615-post1655.html). These include

JFK-BRU
JFK-LIS
JFK-EDI
JFK-FRA
JFK-NCE
JFK-VCE
JFK-ZRH

JFK-BCN is still scheduled to restart in June, but has been reduced to 3x weekly for June.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by dw
Yes, right now, it appears they have been waiting till about four weeks/one month before the flight to decide whether to further postpone some of these TATL restarts. For example, they postponed the JFK-ZRH restart of May 2 (to June 5) on April 1; now they postponed the restart of June 5 to July 7 on April 29. I assume the next decision point about the 7/7 restart will be around the end of May/beginning of June (unless the EU/Schengen countries announce before then any exact reopening dates). In the case of ATH for example, they even brought forward the restart of JFK-ATH from June 5 to May 28 after Greece announced definitive dates for allowing American tourists in.

Originally Posted by nrr
I purchased G class PS and was upgraded via GUCs to D1, but if my flts no longer exist and DL rebooked me with connections on KLM or AF would I be flying FC without further payments on my part?
The flights are not officially cancelled yet so no rebooking will happen yet; they will be with this Saturday's schedule change. The way you can check that they have been officially cancelled is when your seat assignment in your record goes from an assigned seat to "Not Assigned" this Saturday. I would call and try to rebook then instead of waiting for the system to rebook you.

Originally Posted by xliioper
Lots of TATL routes had their restarts delayed from June into July the past week or so (after having previously getting pushed back from May to June -- see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33152615-post1655.html). These include

JFK-BRU
JFK-LIS
JFK-EDI
JFK-FRA
JFK-NCE
JFK-VCE
JFK-ZRH

JFK-BCN is still scheduled to restart in June, but has been reduced to 3x weekly for June.
In addition, ATL-MUC/MAD/BCN, BOS-LHR/CDG/DUB/FCO, and the second daily JFK-LHR/AMS/CDG/FCO have all been pushed back to 7/7 as well. JFK-DUB which had seen pax service restart in April, will now end on May 2, and won't restart until July 7 as well.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Yes, right now, it appears they have been waiting till about four weeks/one month before the flight to decide whether to further postpone some of these TATL restarts. For example, they postponed the JFK-ZRH restart of May 2 (to June 5) on April 1; now they postponed the restart of June 5 to July 7 on April 29. I assume the next decision point about the 7/7 restart will be around the end of May/beginning of June (unless the EU/Schengen countries announce before then any exact reopening dates). In the case of ATH for example, they even brought forward the restart of JFK-ATH from June 5 to May 28 after Greece announced definitive dates for allowing American tourists in.

The flights are not officially cancelled yet so no rebooking will happen yet; they will be with this Saturday's schedule change. The way you can check that they have been officially cancelled is when your seat assignment in your record goes from an assigned seat to "Not Assigned" this Saturday. I would call and try to rebook then instead of waiting for the system to rebook you.

In addition, ATL-MUC/MAD/BCN, BOS-LHR/CDG/DUB/FCO, and the second daily JFK-LHR/AMS/CDG/FCO have all been pushed back to 7/7 as well. JFK-DUB which had seen pax service restart in April, will now end on May 2, and won't restart until July 7 as well.
Seat selection choices are still possible.
I really don't want to fly on a connection. Since I only want to go ZRH, independent of the advantages of n/s [no missed connections to worry about], for a n/s to ZRH I only have to worry about COVID regulations for entering Switz. vs a second country and Switz. with a connection.
Thinking things over it might be best to fly in Aug when (presumably) the actual rules for vaccinated USAers to enter are more positive than they are now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.