Best and worst DL outstations?

Old May 10, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Haven’t flown since Feb 2020

DFW and DAL are home and never once had an issue and the sky club bartenders knew my name. They would also come get me if I wasn’t paying attention for a flight.

I’ve never had any issues at LAX and I went through there 4 times a week for a massive chunk of 2019. The SC staff in Terminal 3 all knew me by name and would even save me a seat at the bar when they recognized me landing that day.

SAN SC crew freaking sucked and was always rude to me especially that older woman that always manned the check in desk. I eventually just stopped and ate and drank down in the terminal, usually the PGA lounge or occasionally the Swiss lounge when it was open because my credit card got me in.
Old May 10, 2021, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
After having thought about it a bit now, JFK has also saved my day a few times, always the SC agents though, can’t remember any meaningfully positive experiences with the regular ground staff.
Agree with this. The club agents might not be the warm fuzzy type, but they cut though the issues and take care of business well. I had an issue where I couldn't check in because a RUC had cleared but it was applied wrong somewhere on the backend. Rather than fix the problem and process it correctly, the the check in agent just deleted the upgrade request. The T2 SC agent fixed it. I was very appreciative. While this is just a single anecdote I've had plenty of other poor experiences at JFK, but none have been SC related.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Anybody remember Betty at the RDU SkyClub who’s now retired? I think the new SkyClub is named after her. She was the best.
Old May 10, 2021, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Knew I was forgetting one, DEN. Great set of agents there.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
*Delete* Wrong forum!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Flew Delta today for the first time since April 2020, and I was reminded why I considered DCA to be Delta's worst outstation.

The check-in area is simply terrible. It's too small to handle the hourly A321s to ATL, especially when half the line is connecting to international flights and has 10 bags to check each.

Today in particular, the station manager and any other behind the scenes management should have been on the floor directing traffic and working the check-in desks to make up for the lack of ticket agents.

All of the good agents must of taken the buyout, since the only ones I saw are all the ones I remember being terrible in 2019. And there weren't that many good agents to begin with.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Flew Delta today for the first time since April 2020, and I was reminded why I considered DCA to be Delta's worst outstation.

The check-in area is simply terrible. It's too small to handle the hourly A321s to ATL, especially when half the line is connecting to international flights and has 10 bags to check each.

Today in particular, the station manager and any other behind the scenes management should have been on the floor directing traffic and working the check-in desks to make up for the lack of ticket agents.

All of the good agents must of taken the buyout, since the only ones I saw are all the ones I remember being terrible in 2019. And there weren't that many good agents to begin with.
They need to bring back the Metro Level check-in desk. Hopefully once the construction wraps up it will come back!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
They need to bring back the Metro Level check-in desk. Hopefully once the construction wraps up it will come back!
Yeah, I never visit the check-in level if I can help it, pretty much a cluster as the OP describes.

Those area on the Metro level was quite convenient for printing a quick BP. They had a few kiosks around the corner from there in the main terminal at one point, but those appeared to be dedicated to Shuttle flights for some reason.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
On the flip side, I'm reminded why CVG is the best station. I'm sad to see that so many good people retired, but was happy to see that my favorite SkyClub agent is still there. I'm glad that Delta is ramping back up here.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
On the flip side, I'm reminded why CVG is the best station. I'm sad to see that so many good people retired, but was happy to see that my favorite SkyClub agent is still there. I'm glad that Delta is ramping back up here.
The SC folks in CVG are quite pleasant. I've only visited a handful of time but they've always been great and very hospitable.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: DL,US
I've found RNO has dropped a lot in quality. A large number of contractor/temp/blackshirt agents there now. I think the good people all took a package. The folks left are nice, but lack knowledge and authority.

For instance as a Diamond/MM etc I arrived at checkin about an hour before departure, and since they had a total of 1 agent working coach and SP I wound up making it to the desk 44 minutes prior. Agent didn't have the ability to force check a bag, her many calls to others who could were boarding flights...just shortstaffed and the people left who know how to do anything are busy.

I've also seen quite a few boarding fiascos recently. Just no ability to handle the unexpected.

SMF on the other hand was always good and lately I have found even better. I live in Tahoe so I'm more a RNO person but occasionally the lack of flights east has be driving to avoid a 2 stop schedule.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Sometimes if the price difference is minimal I will drive 2 hours just to experience the CVG Sky Club and their terrific staff
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TuxTom
I have no idea if she is still there, but Karla with a K is exactly who I thought of when the OP brought up STL. One of the few memorable gate agents I've ever seen.
I've no idea who the agent was but when the merger was happening and NW ran some great promotions for trips originating in STL, PIT, etc I had booked a STL-LIM mileage run. The STL agent who checked me in said 'you really should be upgraded from ATL-LIM, let me see what I can do'. She told me to check with the gate agent at ATL. And I don't know what she did, but I had a BC seat ATL-LIM.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Yeah, I never visit the check-in level if I can help it, pretty much a cluster as the OP describes.

Those area on the Metro level was quite convenient for printing a quick BP. They had a few kiosks around the corner from there in the main terminal at one point, but those appeared to be dedicated to Shuttle flights for some reason.
I believe the Kiosk are still there (haven’t been to DCA since March 2020 as my business travel is still suspended) but anyone flying on DL can use them. That bag drop off was very convenient when coming from the Metro so I hope it returns once the TSA checkpoint construction is finished later this year.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
I've always had really good luck with the SC and agents in LAX, though the actual structure (gates, lounges, terminals) are a bit of a mess. Hopefully will be better soon - haven't actually been through LAX since Feb 2020. Other good points in the system are SLC and SEA, MSP and DTW are hit-miss (especially DTW). Pretty much all of the NYC terminals are a mess, though I agree that the staff gets things done efficiently. That said, having had my bag sent to MEX instead of LAX was an oddity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.