Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best and worst DL outstations?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 11:01 am

In 99% of cases, it doesn't matter since I don't pick destinations based on outstations. Even in cases where there are multiple outstations that might be suitable for a trip, I am always picking on schedule and convenience to my *actual* destination (which is basically never "the airport") rather than things like how nice the airport is or how friendly the station staff is.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's a choice of airports, I'll try to pick one with a lounge. If applicable, I might also think about car rental logistics or the availability of good airport hotels.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
In 99% of cases, it doesn't matter since I don't pick destinations based on outstations. Even in cases where there are multiple outstations that might be suitable for a trip, I am always picking on schedule and convenience to my *actual* destination (which is basically never "the airport") rather than things like how nice the airport is or how friendly the station staff is.
This is me - schedule (timing and multiple options) is most important. Lounges save me a few bucks, but I can grab a drink or bite at an airport restaurant. I live closer to BUR, but almost always choose LAX even if it is a connection from either airport. I want flexibility to change my flight via SDC if I finish early or need more time.

Last edited by El Boocho; May 4, 2021 at 12:58 pm
Old May 4, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: National Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LifetimeGold, Intercontinental Platinum, Delta Platinum
MKE: Completely amazing. No other words apply. Corinne, Joe, and all of the others simply did everything to make my day better. I love you guys

GRR: Pleasant, helpful, didn't take themselves too seriously

ORH: Stew and Cheryl were/are some of the best. Now Delta just needs to relaunch service there

DTW: For a big hub the GA's always take ownership and get it done.

On the bad side.....
JFK, BWI, PIT, and finally PHL: To be blunt at all four locations? Complete a**clowns.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PHL had (I'm not sure she's still there) a great SC agent (long time employee) who seemed to know everything about rebooking and reissuing tickets during IROPs. What I was stuck there during a weather event, she was amazing and worked late as the lounge stayed open for delayed flights that departed after midnight.
Old May 4, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles (Platinum), Hertz Gold, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hotel Tonight Level 10 Statuses.
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I've only been to SFO SkyClub once last month and agree the staff there is very cheerful and wonderful to deal with.
The SFO club is amazing. I was there for work in 2019 from LAX and had the most amazing bowl of Clam Chowder I've had in my life.

EWR has some really nice club agents, despite the gate areas being in awful condition. AUS has great check-in agents. They gave me a 4th check bag for free last year when I moved back to LAX as a "going away present." Gate agents at DTW are really great: One time I got upgraded to F as a Silver at the gate flying a 763 back in 2015 to LAX and I said to them "Are you serious? This never happens on this route to a Silver!?" and she was like "Oh I'm dead serious Mr. H, have a great flight, thanks for your loyalty" something like that. DEN club staff were cool, they knew me by name when I lived there since I was constantly flying for work or family trips back in 2016 and 2017. However the shared bathrooms in DEN outside the club are awful.

MSP club staff and gate agents are probably my least favorite in the system in my experience. LAX is fine I guess, club agents a little weird though and the common areas in the T2 club always seem to be filled with trash. Not enough staff keeping things with people leaving excessive plates and glasses ground, but the self-service bar area is nice.

JFK, all things considered isn't terribly pleasant from a customer service perspective (but I'll stand up for the T-4 club aesthetically). T-2 & T-4 TSA Staff are not friendly, check-in agents in T-4 always seem clueless, the bar staff in T-4 club are checked out, and the common area staff in the T-2 club are bullies. Yet I think they're better in the T4 club but not enough recognition to recall. I think the last time I was at LGA was like 2016, so it's been a long while. Never had a bad experience there overall though flying either DL or AA.

There are other stations I've never been to but curious to see of the interaction(s): STL / ORD / PHL / BWI in particular based on some of these posts.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by N590UA; May 5, 2021 at 6:48 pm
Old May 5, 2021, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Ordhater
I'm a St. Louis native and until I read your post I never really appreciated how good Delta's team is there. I guess I never thought about it since the airport itself is so bad. But Delta's staff are fantastic. Is Karla with a K still around?
Have not seen Karla. But there is a really good GA who once expertly worked my delayed Atlanta flight. I forget her name, but I think it started with a J. Jeanine? She's a younger black woman. She's really a rockstar. In fact, I was on Twitter the other day and someone I knew gave her a shout-out.
Ordhater likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta (Platinum), Hilton (Gold), Marriott (Gold), National (Executive)
I don’t fly as much as some of you (once or twice per month), and I don’t have many meaningful interactions with DL station employees (bag check is usually the only one). That said, I don’t have any negative experiences that stand out or come to mind. I do have a handful of positives:

LGA/JFK is my home station, and I’d say I use LGA twice as much. Not an outstation, but interactions with staff have generally been fine if not good. With this being my home station and checking a bag around 90% of the time, I’ve only found myself taking advantage of the bag guarantee once (this was at JFK). Also had a couple of notably positive experiences:

A redcoat at JFK once gave my non-status friend a really good IRROPS rescue; thunderstorms in NY delayed his evening flight to DFW until the next morning, which would have inhibited our plans as he was meeting our group of friends in the middle of a road trip (we were going from Dallas to Oklahoma City that night). Was fully expecting to spend the night in Dallas and eat the cost of the OKC hotel, but the redcoat confirmed him onto a flight into OKC via ATL the next morning. Even gave him a hotel even though JFK was his origin. He wasn’t obligated to do any of that, and I’ll always be grateful for it.

Also a personal experience at LGA where I evidently dropped my license somewhere near TSA. Had an “oh shit” moment maybe 15 minutes later, assumed it to be gone forever, and hopped onto NYSDMV’s website to order a replacement. I always take my passport with me when I travel, so I wasn’t worried about getting home, and the replacement cost something like $20- so I didn’t make a fuss, and I didn’t really think any more about it. Perhaps half an hour later, I made my way to my gate, and I was called up to the podium by the GA shortly after. I went up, a little confused/worried, and I was surprised to find she had my license!

+1 to STL: Probably my second most used DL station behind JFK/LGA, always found the ticketing and gate agents to be very nice. Bag times are always very good. As an aside, this is also a very good station for WN, and I’ve heard very good things about UA.

+1 to TPA: Only used it once just under 2 weeks ago, but my experience was very positive. Flight to ATL was delayed 2.5 hours, which would have caused me to miss the last flight of the night to LGA/JFK/EWR. Redcoat at the Sky Priority desk confirmed me onto an earlier nonstop to LGA, which happened to be delayed enough for me to make it on. This was after a good amount of time and effort on his part. GA was also very nice when I went up to get my seat assignment.

+1 to MCO: Use this station a fair amount, and I can affirm that they have always been quite pleasant. DL also uses the nicest MCO airside IMHO, although the better food options are in the one SWA uses (which is connected behind security).
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by blehman
MKE: Completely amazing. No other words apply. Corinne, Joe, and all of the others simply did everything to make my day better. I love you guys

GRR: Pleasant, helpful, didn't take themselves too seriously

ORH: Stew and Cheryl were/are some of the best. Now Delta just needs to relaunch service there

DTW: For a big hub the GA's always take ownership and get it done.

On the bad side.....
JFK, BWI, PIT, and finally PHL: To be blunt at all four locations? Complete a**clowns.
I was making quite a few trips to BWI just prior to COVID and could not disagree more. They bent over backwards more than once for me and one time really did an amazing job working together as a team to figure out how to get me home that same day during IRROPS (which was my last flight prior to COVID). I really wish I could go back and personally thank them for that.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by blehman
On the bad side.....
JFK has the worst agents all around. For example they have literally taken recently printed VDBs from my hand and ripped them up.

BWI and/or PIT have been my home airports forever...

BWI has agents that are no better than anyone working for Spirit. IROPs and ground handling are terrible.

PITs agents are not much better and suck at IROPs and VDBs. I have had C+ seats taken away for no reason with no explanation when asked. I have been refused rerouting on unusual alternates with open seats that would allow me to get to my destination. Sometimes they won't even through check luggage on separate Skyteam itineraries.

On the other hand...BWI and PIT regularly dole out miles for the 20 minute luggage guarantee 🙄

I have had many good experiences with IND, MOB, and BCN outstations. SLC and MSP regularly have great hub experiences.
Old May 7, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
.....For International, there is a gate agent stationed at FRA who I've noticed working my ATL flights a few times pre-COVID. Don't know his name, but he is late middle-aged, African-American and obviously fluent in German, and very personable in comparison to some of the rather surly contracted ground staff from Swissport or whoever Delta uses at other European outstations.
Still there today upon my flight to ATL Was there at the bag drop, then later at the embarkment gate. He tried to just wave me thru the agent handling the pre-boarding check-point who was being German saying my passport didn't have the green documents okay sticker (i'd checked-in online and gotten the boarding card thru the AF app).

And yes the others are grumpy. Now that all the airlines are operating out of T1 due to the reduction in flight volumes at FRA, the whole check-in and boarding process is more disorganised than normal (not that FRA is an easy or enjoyable airport to begin with).
Old May 7, 2021, 4:58 pm

I try to avoid Delta so I don't fly enough with them to have much of an opinion, but the staff at BIL has saved my butt a couple times.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Forgot to add STL, MKE, IND, and ORD are great as well. Haven't had really many if any "bad" experiences with Delta, but mine involved DTW. DTW for me has either had really great agents or really poor agents.
Old May 7, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL,US
RNO is my home but I find they have had severe staffing issues as of late- only one person checking bags, etc….and quite a few contractors who have zero ability or knowledge to make exceptions. I fear that many experienced locals took the early outs.

SMF, still great.
Old May 7, 2021, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
After having thought about it a bit now, JFK has also saved my day a few times, always the SC agents though, can’t remember any meaningfully positive experiences with the regular ground staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.