Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta- No Carry-On Weight Restrictions?

Old Apr 27, 21, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus

I was surprised to read "No maximum weight applies". Really? - Is this a recent change? I always thought carryons have weight restrictions..
Old Apr 27, 21, 4:19 pm

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Ambassador
Well technically the restriction is up to the weight limit posted inside the overhead bins.
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 27, 21, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Well technically the restriction is up to the weight limit posted inside the overhead bins.
Unless it fits under the seat in front of you How many pounds of lead can you fit in a backpack?
MSPeconomist, cmd320 and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 27, 21, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some airlines weigh carryon pieces at the gate, but I've never seen DL do this. It's not necessarily foreign departures as the strictest enforcement I've personally observed was a SQ flight departing from LAX, where staff were giving problems to some business and first class passengers whose luggage wasn't obviously illegal.
Old Apr 27, 21, 9:10 pm
formerly B7e7US
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
When I was based at CDG, I always had an argument with the passport control orange vest line keepers at 2E because AF has a carry-on weight restriction but DL doesn't. They always tried to weight my carry-on and didn't care that I was departing on a DL flight, always had to get an agent involved.
Old Apr 27, 21, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I recently "carried on" a 58# bag full of antique dishes that my wife wanted moved to our new house. I didn't trust checking it and having it thrown all over the place and didn't want to leave it up to the movers either. It was quite a load to put in the overhead bin and luckily it didn't break the bin mid-flight. I researched it and found there were no real rules for my airline (Alaska) so I did it without anyone hassling me.
Old Apr 28, 21, 5:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
The first time I flew KL from JFK-AMS, I was caught off-guard when the DL agent handling KL check-in at JFK asked me to weigh my carry-on (and it ended up being over KL's limit). I mentioned that I was surprised, since I didn't realize carry-on weight limits were a thing. She was like, "Yeah, for Delta, as long as it's the right size, we don't care, but the European airlines for whatever reason are stricter about it."
Old Apr 28, 21, 8:09 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Witness this on an UA flight. A pax had a carry-on full of equipment. He took the offer on the free gate check of carry-on as the fight was full. When the agent lift the bag, she realized it was over 50 LB. She charged him the over-weight fee on the bag. Ouch! Personally, I would have a difficult time lifting anything more than 30 LB into the overhead bin. I have seen many pax stood in the isle waiting for some kind soul help them lift their stuffed suitcases. There were always some kind soul to help them out.
Old Apr 28, 21, 8:39 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I've only seen this on ULCC like Ryanair or Allegiant. AirAsia didn't weigh my carryon, so not all LCC do it. I've never had AF or KL weigh or ask to weigh my carry-on, nor have I witnessed it personally, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Are there carry-on weight restrictions when flying into/out of Key West? I know there are for checked bags, but not sure about carry-on.
Old Apr 28, 21, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Gold, National EC
I ran into this flying to and from Asia on KE. The big advantage of carrying everything on is avoiding the long wait after immigration for luggage (particularly because they're unloading the A380). But KE limits your carry-on weight, so you get stuck checking that carefully packed carry-on bag anyways. It's too bad that DL operates 0 TPAC flights out of JFK!
Old Apr 28, 21, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly View Post
Witness this on an UA flight. A pax had a carry-on full of equipment. He took the offer on the free gate check of carry-on as the fight was full. When the agent lift the bag, she realized it was over 50 LB. She charged him the over-weight fee on the bag. Ouch! Personally, I would have a difficult time lifting anything more than 30 LB into the overhead bin. I have seen many pax stood in the isle waiting for some kind soul help them lift their stuffed suitcases. There were always some kind soul to help them out.
How did agent weigh the bag? There's no certified scales other than at checkin. Also assuming UA has no weight limit, it wasn't overweight.

Originally Posted by Weekend Away View Post
I've only seen this on ULCC like Ryanair or Allegiant. AirAsia didn't weigh my carryon, so not all LCC do it. I've never had AF or KL weigh or ask to weigh my carry-on, nor have I witnessed it personally, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Are there carry-on weight restrictions when flying into/out of Key West? I know there are for checked bags, but not sure about carry-on.
AF/KL I've only seen weigh Y passengers bags. J/F I've seen them simply place the carryon tag on bag without verifying weight.
Old Apr 28, 21, 10:20 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Personally, I'm in the camp of "If you cannot lift your own carry on bag into the overhead bin then it must be too heavy for the bin, so please check your bag".

That's not to say that I haven't been a proper gentleman and helped some people put their bags in the OH bin but it behooves one's wits to wonder what was in their damn bag.
Old Apr 28, 21, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Interesting about SIN since I used to travel there some-frequently and never experienced my carry on being weighed or questioned. 15lbs is really nothing especially when you consider that a carry on roller will consume more of that.
Old Apr 28, 21, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Some airlines weigh carryon pieces at the gate, but I've never seen DL do this. It's not necessarily foreign departures as the strictest enforcement I've personally observed was a SQ flight departing from LAX, where staff were giving problems to some business and first class passengers whose luggage wasn't obviously illegal.
Iíve honestly never seen carryon luggage weighed in the US. NK/F9 might do it, but Iíve never observed it.

FR on the other handÖ
Old Apr 28, 21, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
Iíve honestly never seen carryon luggage weighed in the US. NK/F9 might do it, but Iíve never observed it.

FR on the other handÖ
I have had it happen to me at LAX flying BR (when I did not have status). Did the song and dance transferring a few heavy items to my computer bag before they let me go.

BTW, this was at checkin. Could easily have gamed the system if needed.
cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: