Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Planning Second New SkyClub at SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Planning Second New SkyClub at SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
MSP has a flagship club with SkyDeck under construction right now. At the end of G.
Precisely and it took forever to even get it to the building stage. Wasn't the opening date delayed?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by kjnangre
If DL succeeds in building a TPAC gateway at SEA, that means a lot of big jets and a lot of premium passengers. They've been severely limited by an international facility operating well beyond capacity. But that will soon be resolved
I don't think DL is that focused on TPAC traffic at SEA, and I'm not sure that they're too interested in adding more TPAC markets in the future. To me, their goals have evolved at SEA (into what, I'm not exactly sure), as they've mostly focused on expanding domestic service in the couple years before COVID started.

Seattle metro is still growing crazy fast, so maybe that's a reason they plan on sticking around? Who knows.

Last edited by ab2013; Apr 25, 2021 at 4:06 pm
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
I don't think DL is that focused on TPAC traffic at SEA, and I'm not sure that they're too interested in adding more TPAC markets in the future. To me, their goals have evolved at SEA (into what, I'm not exactly sure), as they've mostly focused on expanding domestic service in the couple years before COVID started.

Seattle metro is still growing crazy fast, so maybe that's a reason they plan on sticking around? Who knows.
I'll agree it's off to a bit of slow start, but pre-covid DL didn't have a competive plane available for TPAC (they were mostly using 763s) and they also couldn't get well-timed international slots at SEA due to the beyond-capacity international arrivals area.

Now they have the A339 which is ideal for most routes (TATL and TPAC) out of SEA and soon a brand new IAF with a brand new SkyClub right next to it.

SEA is among the worst possible locations for a domestic hub, but an ideal location for an international hub. I'm pretty confident the plan remains the same. Hardly makes sense to send West Coast to Asia flyers thru DTW.
rogo, hi55us and manacit like this.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Apr 25, 2021 at 11:09 pm
Old Apr 26, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Now they have the A339 which is ideal for most routes (TATL and TPAC) out of SEA and soon a brand new IAF with a brand new SkyClub right next to it.

SEA is among the worst possible locations for a domestic hub, but an ideal location for an international hub. I'm pretty confident the plan remains the same. Hardly makes sense to send West Coast to Asia flyers thru DTW.
I'm not sure the A339 is the best plane for TPAC/TATL at SEA. SEA is a super crowded market that isn't that large, and the plane has a lot of seats - 280+ seats. Pre-pandemic, DL always struggled with destinations without airline partners - they weren't doing that well filling 763s on flights to KIX - SEA-KIX never really saw loads break 75% - and SEA-HKG lost money every year it was operated. To me, "IAF overcrowding" was just an easy excuse for DL. Regionally, SEA does allow DL more convenient access to Western Canada and Alaska, but AS already dominates that market here, and DL dropped YYC and YEG well before the pandemic hit.

Actions speak louder than words. They're already deploying the A339 to other markets - JFK comes to mind.

Last edited by ab2013; Apr 26, 2021 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:29 pm

I'm not sure the A339 is the best plane for TPAC/TATL at SEA. SEA is a super crowded market that isn't that large, and the plane has a lot of seats - 280+ seats. Pre-pandemic, DL always struggled with destinations without airline partners - they weren't doing that well filling 763s on flights to KIX - SEA-KIX never really saw loads break 75% - and SEA-HKG lost money every year it was operated. To me, "IAF overcrowding" was just an easy excuse for DL. Regionally, SEA does allow DL more convenient access to Western Canada and Alaska, but AS already dominates that market here, and DL dropped YYC and YEG well before the pandemic hit.

Actions speak louder than words. They're already deploying the A339 to other markets - JFK comes to mind.
Those are some very unconvincing examples IMO. Every airline is currently shifting larger planes to domestic routes because international travel is complicated. Maybe you've heard, there's a virus going around. And pre-pandemic, yields were garbage on HKG routes for everyone and it's likely that all airlines were losing money on those routes.

I don't know DL's long term plan and I'm very open to hearing evidence that DL's strategy is shifting. But is that all you got? I see nothing there at all. YYC/YEG are mountain cities best served by SLC but DL still had codeshares to SEA.

And yes, TPAC has been a struggle for DL for a long time, but I don't think they give up as easily as you do.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Apr 26, 2021 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:44 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Mainland US to KIX is a really tough market to make work.

My belief is that Delta is committed for the long-haul in SEA, as evidenced by the fact that they are building a new lounge. They don't have to be bigger than Alaska to make SEA work, they just have to make good money on the seats they are flying. It is possible that SEA ends up being a "hub" with mostly O/D traffic, but that's probably okay because SLC can serve a lot of the connecting market.
manacit likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)

A339 is the best plane for SEA that DL has. It's not ideal (787 would be), but its workable. Prior to the A339, DL didn't have a workable plane for TPAC out of SEA - 767 wasn't competitive, A332 was at its limits for HKG, etc. Lack of connecting flights to help fill the network hurt too, but they've been working on that.

As for having trouble making KIX work, who hasn't? Nobody has figured out how to make US mainland <-> KIX work well.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:54 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
After my recent flights in and out of SEA (both of which used gates at the very far end of A), I'll be happy if the second club goes through. As much as I love the current Sky Club, it was enough of a hoof from there to our departure gate that we decided to just go out and use the Priority Pass Club at SEA lounge. It wasn't bad, but it certainly would be convenient to have a Sky Club closer to those end gates.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I didn't realize the S gate club wasn't coming back - I recently had a short jaunt to Spokane leave out of there and it isn't exactly the Ritz. It would be great for DL to consolidate all of their departures out of the main terminal - if that's the case, it makes a lot of sense to have a second club. It doesn't feel like it's possible now, but SEA can get a LOT more crowded.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Delta will no longer be using the S satellite once the new Immigration facility and A gates are completed. Given that inevitability, DL probably decided it wasn’t worth the money to reopen the S club only to permanently shutter it again.

Delta (and partners) will basically have A concourse, and maybe some of the close in B gates depending on how much SEA hub growth their is. United is moving to the B gates further in, and the existing Amex studio lounge will become a United Club. Obviously that existing Amex lounge is “moving” to the new full Amex Centurion Lounge being constructed near the central terminal.

As for the shuttered SkyClub in the S satellite, I don’t know what it’s future holds. My guess is that it becomes a new lounge of an international airline (JAL, ANA, maybe AA), as those will be the flights primarily leaving from the S satellite eventually.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What gates will DL's international partners use? I'm wondering whether it would make sense for the S SC to become a SkyTeam (+VS?) lounge (or be taken over by some particular partner).
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What gates will DL's international partners use? I'm wondering whether it would make sense for the S SC to become a SkyTeam (+VS?) lounge (or be taken over by some particular partner).
I imagine they'll share gates with DL (ie, the international gates in concourse A near the new IAF)
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
I imagine they'll share gates with DL (ie, the international gates in concourse A near the new IAF)
That's the obvious answer, but will there be enough space?
Old Oct 20, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
SEA already seems Lounge heavy and just getting heavier.
A1 - Huge SkyClub
A11 - Another new huge SkyClub with SkyDeck
A11 - Club at SEA
A9 - United Club (currently closed, sounds like permanently)
B3 - Centurion Lounge (future United club?)
Central terminal - New Centurion Lounge (not sure on stats but I assume 10's of thousands of sq feet.)
S9 - British Galleries Club Lounge
S10 - Club at SEA
C16 - Alaska Lounge
D1 - Alaska Lounge
N10 - Flagship Alaska Lounge

I did not put the S9 Delta SkyClub on the list which is permanently closed (which in its own right was a pretty good sized club.) I don't know the stats for other airports like JFK, or SFO, which I'm sure have many more clubs, but the square feet of club space in Seattle seems quite high for SEA's passenger volume. But yet all lounges still seem over crowded.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 1:24 pm

Do we know for sure that the current Centurion lounge is closing? It's nice to have one convenient to DL gates, especially since DL and AmEx are close partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.