Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New 20,000 sq. ft. Sky Club Coming to ATL Concourse D

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

https://www.ajc.com/news/business/ha...BOEHBMWAZJDPQ/

Delta is building a brand new 20,000 square feet SC on Concourse D in ATL that will replace the “basement” D27 club and the “closet” D12 club. The new club will cost $33 million to construct and be subsidized by the City of Atlanta. No word on where exactly the new club will be located on the D concourse or when it’s slated to open.
Duke787, brc757rr, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Third floor seems to imply the club will be located at the current roof level (aka one level above the main concourse). Didn’t realize DL had enough flying out of D at this point to justify a 20k sqft club but I suppose anything must be better than the dungeon...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:15 pm

Sweet. Sounds like a big upgrade.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
This is excellent. D terminal is already overly cramped with its narrow walkways. I despise flying out of it because you can’t get away from people. Also, it will be nice to have a new option between B & F (yes, E is newer too but I never stop in E unless I’m flying out because I might as well just stay on for F at that point)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:46 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The history of the D concourse is that all airlines not named Delta or Eastern were consigned to it when it opened in 1981. Piedmont, Continental, United, American, Northwest and Republic (formerly Southern) were all out there in the 1980s. It has always been the red headed stepchild of ATL.

One of my first experiences in ATL was in 1984 when I flew Republic GTR-ATL and then Delta ATL-DCA; the Republic flight came into D1, and the ongoing Delta flight left out of A34; the maximum distance for a connection at the time.

I actually like both Delta clubs on this concourse. The D12 club was once the Continental President's Club It was never crowded and the Delta staff were always great.

I think Delta controls most of D these days, as American and United operate out of T. I'll be flying through D tomorrow night as my flight from CHO will be parking there.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Alaska, Frontier, & Spirit all operate out of D today. American also has a few token gates, I think they put overflow RJ destinations over there as opposed to specific city pairs, but they do use them. Last year I did take an ATL-PHX mainline A320 on AA, and it left from D.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
American's D gates are left over from the US part of the merger.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Guess I've been lucky to not have a flight in D for several years.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Are they not trying to move traffic from B since many of us arrive at B and stay there rather than use a D or C club?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Also, it will be nice to have a new option between B & F
Is there something wrong with C?
El Boocho likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:19 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The new club will cost $33 million to construct and be subsidized by the City of Atlanta.
This is simply inaccurate.

Atlanta Airport is owned by the City of Atlanta and operated by the Department of Aviation as an Enterprise Fund. The Enterprise Fund is not supported by the City's General Fund, it receives its revenue from landing fees, property leases, parking, and other airport-specific revenue sources.

The Airport is in essence a stand-alone business that is owned by the City. To say that the club is being paid for by the City is misleading at best, it is being paid for by the Airport, saying it is being paid for by the City implies that the residents of the City are paying for it through property tax, sales tax, or other monies they pay the City. The word subsidy is absolutely inaccurate, the Airport owns the facility being built and Delta has agreed to lease that facility back from the Airport. The airport sets all its lease rates, fees, and charges in order to continue to be self-sufficient. There is no 'subsidy', ultimately the airport's customers pay for everything the airport does, including everything it builds.

If anyone is interested in learning more, a good place to start is the Airport's Annual Report.

This is hardly unique to Atlanta, most airports with commercial service in the United States are similar in that they are stand-alone and self-supporting businesses.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
C Club (along with the whole DL side of that concourse) has been closed since the pandemic started.

It's been "T" or bust for me lately, usually not crowded and I only have to take one train ride (when I leave the club for the departure gate). Last time I was there, 75% of the club cleared out when the LGA flight started boarding at T-8.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This is a no-brainer.

By operating two substandard clubs in D, DL is increasing their operating costs and not getting much bang for their buck. It'll be nice to see a larger SC in D. As for who is paying for it, ATL is smart to build out the space, let DL pay to furnish it and to lease if back from the airport. When you think about how much money DL pumps into the regional economy and into ALT itself, $33 million is a drop in the bucket.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Happy to see this. That basement lounge is awful. The more the merrier at ATL.
El Boocho likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Is there something wrong with C?
I haven't been to C in a while, but when I was there I liked it better than the B/D clubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.