Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Edi-Bos no longer showing as a direct option

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Edi-Bos no longer showing as a direct option

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Aircraft change from delta one to first class

Hi there, hoping for a bit of guidance. I booked from edi-bos-lax on bothe segments it was delta one and at the time of booking I had multiple options at the same price to end up in lax. I opted for this route due to both flights having flat beds and I have just noticed the Boston to lx flight has been changed from delta one on a 757-200 to first class on 737-800. Can I change the route without charge or am I stuck in a 6 hr plus flight on this type of seat?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by glasgowgirl
Hi there, hoping for a bit of guidance. I booked from edi-bos-lax on bothe segments it was delta one and at the time of booking I had multiple options at the same price to end up in lax. I opted for this route due to both flights having flat beds and I have just noticed the Boston to lx flight has been changed from delta one on a 757-200 to first class on 737-800. Can I change the route without charge or am I stuck in a 6 hr plus flight on this type of seat?
I'm assuming BOS-LAX would have been marketed as D1 when you purchased this flight. That being the case, you should be able to call Delta and switch to EDI-JFK-LAX. That should give you lie flats all the way. I would certainly press them to do this as I would really not want to be stuck on a very long transcon in standard F on a 738, especially after just coming off a TATL.

Added bonus, int'l to domestic transfers at JFK are quicker and easier than BOS also (at least IMO).
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes DL will change you due to this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Yes, as noted, DL will almost certainly re-route you. In fact, you could ask for many different re-routes that may be preferable or more convenient. For example, you may be able to ask for EDI-AMS-LAX on KL or EDI-CDG-LAX on AF, being booked with the DL codeshare numbers on each flight (this is if you are truly in paid J and not in D1 on an award ticket or GUC). If in D1 via miles or a GUC (or if it's just your preference), DL can still always open space as required on its own metal and getting EDI-JFK-LAX all in D1 should be a non-issue.

If you're going to ask for a reroute, it is usually best to have the flight(s) you would prefer ID'ed ahead of time and feed those to the agent to ask for rebooking.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In fact, if you wanted to make a real fuss, because this is a single ticket departing the UK, you could make a claim for downgrade reimbursement under EC 261/2004 and collect 75% of the fare allocable to the downgraded segment. You cannot make that claim until after the flight as you have not been downgraded until you have flown in F as opposed to D1 and the claim is not certain. But depending on what you paid, this might cover a good piece of your fare (if you left it). At a minimum, you would be entitled to a refund of the fare difference and DL also offers a customer service gesture in the form of a credit, all to be claimed later (because there is always the chance that D1 is reinstated and if that happens, you would already hold a D1 ticket).
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the super quick replies, so far delta have stated that they can offer a $200 travel voucher which is practically useless for me and virgin who I booked through are basically saying there is no issue as equipment can change. Delta have now passed me back to virgin. I’m not a business traveler so this is all out of my pocket and the difference in fares are 2 to 3 thousand pounds so really feel stuck in the middle. All advice is appreciated
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Thank you all for the super quick replies, so far delta have stated that they can offer a $200 travel voucher which is practically useless for me and virgin who I booked through are basically saying there is no issue as equipment can change. Delta have now passed me back to virgin. I’m not a business traveler so this is all out of my pocket and the difference in fares are 2 to 3 thousand pounds so really feel stuck in the middle. All advice is appreciated
Unfortunately the ticketing carrier is the one who has to make any changes to your ticket.
I do not know if changing from J to F actually counts as a downgrade for EC compensation purposes.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:05 pm
Suspended

VS is simply wrongly focusing on the change of aircraft, not the change of cabin. DL markets J & F as different classes of service and that brings the Regulation into play.

It is unfortunate that OP booked a DL itinerary through another carrier. If this had been a DL ticket, DL would have rerouted space available.

If VS refuses to reroute, first step is a three-way call with DL and VS. VS will need to reissue, but DL will confirm that indeed D1 is J and not F.

I suppose that OP can take solace in making an EC 261/2004 claim for reimbursement against DL as the operating carrier. By my rough calculations it will be the base fare + carrier surcharges * 0.75 * 0.27 = roughly 20% of the total fare (less taxes) paid by OP. The .27 factor are the air miles for BOS-LAX as a percentage of the total air miles (given that OP has not been downgraded for the TATL leg).

Interestingly, DL can be quite decent about paying up.

It might be worth a follow up call to DL to point out that OP will be due EC 261/2004 downgrade reimbursement (not compensation) and that might convince DL to takeover and then reissue the ticket. As a last gasp, I would ask DL whether it will takeover the ticket -- typically for a fee- and then reissue. Don't expect success on this, but it is an ask worth making.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Dont mention the equipment. Mentioning the equipment change is just going to cause confusion. Mention you booked Delta One, and they've now downgraded you to First Class.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:08 pm
Suspended

I would stress "Domestic First." I can fully appreciate how a VS agent would see all of this. Seems odd in the abstract that D1 (international J) is a higher class of service than F (domestic F), but it is.

If there is pushback, ask the agent to contact a manager and for the manager to have a ST liaison agent reach out to DL to pose the question. Presuming that travel is not imminent, this will take a few days, but that might fix it.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What does the OP want to achieve here? Being rebooked onto flights with D1 for the entire trip (do your research in advance and supply the flight numbers you want) or the dowmgrade reimbursement/compensation paid in money?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What does the OP want to achieve here? Being rebooked onto flights with D1 for the entire trip (do your research in advance and supply the flight numbers you want) or the dowmgrade reimbursement/compensation paid in money?
It sounds to me like the OP just wants to be in D1 the whole way. It will be somewhat challenging to deal with VS on this though as they won't be very familiar with transcon D1 and how much that differs from domestic F.

It's annoying, but unfortunately this is likely going to be a situation where the OP will have to call multiple times to get to the right person who is able to make the change.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:27 pm
Suspended

From the VS perspective, the sole issue is that D1 is a different cabin and sold as a different fare basis than domestic F. This is just one of those situations where less is more. Simple downgrade from "X" class to "Y" class. Nothing more.

VS may not care. There is no right to be rerouted. Only a redunf of the fare difference under the COC and a reimbursement under EC 261/2004. As that comes out of DL's hide, this is a matter of motivating VS.

For the benefit of others, this is yet another reason to have booked a DL operated journey through DL. The reroute OP wants would be accomplished in a short call (after a long hold).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I think my best course of action is to let a bit of time pass to see what is happening and if we are actually able to travel after COVID restrictions start easing and nearer to the journey I will take this up . Thanks so much for all the info and advice
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
seemed like OP had a pretty clear ask

Can I change the route without charge or am I stuck in a 6 hr plus flight on this type of seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.