Delta to start PDX-ICN nonstop

Old Apr 18, 21, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Delta to start PDX-ICN nonstop

According to multiple news outlets in Korea, Delta is to launch Portland-Incheon nonstop, 3/w, A332, from September 2021. The schedule is not loaded yet, but ICN airport announced the news today. Haven't found an English article yet, but here's one Korean article:
https://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn...aid=0004622389

Announced schedule:
PDX-ICN 1235pm-505pm+1 Mo Th Sa
ICN-PDX 730pm-225pm Tu Fr Su
The schedule will be convenient for MNL connection.
N830MH likes this.

Last edited by bobbybrown; Apr 18, 21 at 7:18 am Reason: added schedule
Old Apr 18, 21, 7:19 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP
The article is interesting (it was announced by the company that runs Incheon Airport). It mentions the PDX-HND flight and then says the PDX-ICN flight is "expected to be the only direct route connecting the Asia-Pacific region and Portland" (Google Translate). I wonder if Incheon Airport or South Korea offered a subsidy to switch the flight over, or whether Delta wants to use the Haneda slots for something else, or would otherwise have difficulty reducing 7x/week slots to 3x/week slots.
Old Apr 18, 21, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR View Post
The article is interesting (it was announced by the company that runs Incheon Airport). It mentions the PDX-HND flight and then says the PDX-ICN flight is "expected to be the only direct route connecting the Asia-Pacific region and Portland" (Google Translate). I wonder if Incheon Airport or South Korea offered a subsidy to switch the flight over, or whether Delta wants to use the Haneda slots for something else, or would otherwise have difficulty reducing 7x/week slots to 3x/week slots.
I'm trying to reserve excitement until Delta confirms it. The article (or rather the press release by the airport) says as if PDX-HND won't come back but it's only temporarily suspended. For a few months, though, PDX-ICN will be the only nonstop to Asia from PDX, since HND won't resume until when the winter schedule begins.
Old Apr 18, 21, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
I'm trying to reserve excitement until Delta confirms it. The article (or rather the press release by the airport) says as if PDX-HND won't come back but it's only temporarily suspended. For a few months, though, PDX-ICN will be the only nonstop to Asia from PDX, since HND won't resume until when the winter schedule begins.
Hopefully PDX-ICN happens... it is one of those routes that make sense, and with USA-Europe traffic down, it might be a good chance for DL to test the route out with a spare widebody.

As far as PDX-HND, there is a long, complicated history on the HND slots. The slots (for all US carriers) are effectively controlled by the US DoT, and not the airlines themselves. Which means if DL drops the route, they are opening themselves up to the DoT reassigning the slot to another carrier. DL does not have the ability to move the HND flight to another destination, and should they drop it, I am guessing AA would push to “keep the service in the PacNW”, petition the DoT to give them the slot, and launch their own, new SEA-HND... (a route DL currently has permission to fly, that AA currently cannot).

So to keep the flight from their competition, my guess is DL retains the PDX-HND route, even if it remains “Covid suspended” for as long as DL can justify the suspension.
Old Apr 18, 21, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is MNL going to be A339 or A332? If A332, PDX-ICN makes sense for aircraft rotation.
Old Apr 18, 21, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Is MNL going to be A339 or A332? If A332, PDX-ICN makes sense for aircraft rotation.

It's currently an A332.
Old Apr 18, 21, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Technically this would be a resumption no? Or was the former service PDX-SEL(GMP)?
Old Apr 18, 21, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
It's currently an A332.
Where does the A332 come from currently for MNL?

I know in past that PDX was usually where MNL got it's plane from. (When departed NRT)
Old Apr 18, 21, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Where does the A332 come from currently for MNL?

I know in past that PDX was usually where MNL got it's plane from. (When departed NRT)
The flight does not start until November 1st. No inbound A332's to ICN currently showing in the schedule then to provide the equipment, so the PDX theory makes sense. Although ICN-MNL is currently daily in schedule with 6:25PM departure, so they would have to increase PDX-ICN frequency to support it. PDX-HND is currently scheduled to resume October 30th with a 332 at 5x weekly.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 18, 21 at 6:56 pm
Old Apr 18, 21, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
SEA has three flights to TYO, including one by JL. Unless DL moves the slot to SLC, it would likely go to AA for LAS, which they applied for before being rejected.
Old Apr 19, 21, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
A very welcome addition to ICN for PDX but not very good connection on Korean to KUL. Will need to overnight.
Old Apr 19, 21, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
clearly the duel at SEA between DL and AS doesn't have enough fun. Will PDX becomes the next SEA where the two competes like all in? or maybe they have already started?
Old Apr 19, 21, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At some point, PMNW TPAC connections through PDX were generally cheaper than other routings, but after I experienced being held on the plane upon arrival for about an hour waiting for CPB people to arrive at work (and therefore missing a connection that I otherwise could have easily made), I refuse to consider PDX connections. I can't believe there's enough O-D traffic or high yielding connecting traffic to make this route viable without heavy subsidies.
Old Apr 19, 21, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
after I experienced being held on the plane upon arrival for about an hour waiting for CPB people to arrive at work (and therefore missing a connection that I otherwise could have easily made), I refuse to consider PDX connections.
How long ago was that? PDX has been my home airport for the last 10 years and I've never had to wait coming back in.
LAX was my previous home airport and I had to sit on a plane around 7AM several times coming back from Japan early.
This news is great for me. Maybe no more SEA connections to Asia.
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 20, 21, 12:53 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
PDX-ICN nonstop is now available for booking on delta.com. Starts September 9. 3x/week.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: