Delta Refundable ticket Price Drop

Old Apr 16, 21, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Delta Refundable ticket Price Drop

I have a refundable ticket for Delta. If the price drops will they give me credit on my credit card for the price difference? Or do I have to re-book a new ticket and then cancel the first one? Thanks
Old Apr 16, 21, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dande36 View Post
I have a refundable ticket for Delta. If the price drops will they give me credit on my credit card for the price difference? Or do I have to re-book a new ticket and then cancel the first one? Thanks
You have to rebook using the current ticket. It'll then issue credit for the difference owed. As ticket is refundable, credit will be to form of payment, not ecertificate.
Old Apr 16, 21, 5:23 am

I have called in and received a refund difference without canceling and buying a new ticket.
Old Apr 16, 21, 5:37 am

With no change fees arenít all tickets effectively refundable. If you view ecredits same as cash which I do. If I buy a ticket for a work trip and it falls through just cancel and use ecredit for next trip.
Old Apr 16, 21, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
With no change fees arenít all tickets effectively refundable. If you view ecredits same as cash which I do. If I buy a ticket for a work trip and it falls through just cancel and use ecredit for next trip.
They are only refundable if -- as you do, one considers "funny money" e-credits as cash. They are far from that for most people.
strickerj and Mr. Tickets like this.
Old Apr 16, 21, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I have called in and received a refund difference without canceling and buying a new ticket.
However, to be clear you did get a new ticket. They simply rebooked you onto the same flights. As new ticket was less, you got refund of difference between old and new ticket instead of paying for new ticket and waiting for full refund of old.
Old Apr 17, 21, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
Yes but I think you get airline credit and I don't know that I would be able to use it before it would expire
Old Apr 17, 21, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You have to rebook using the current ticket. It'll then issue credit for the difference owed. As ticket is refundable, credit will be to form of payment, not ecertificate.
Is there a time frame for cancelling for a refund? If I found a cheaper flight say the day before the flight could I book that and then cancel the refundable ticket?
Old Apr 17, 21, 3:10 am
Original Poster

I don't know how the phone system is these days with Delta but I spent 1 1/2 hours twice trying to get thru to Jet Blue and never got a person I gave up. Might be easier to cancel refundable ticket and re book online rather than call if wait times are long
Old Apr 17, 21, 5:13 am

Programs: DL DM
By the way -- all the more reason to book 2 one-ways in markets where the pricing is the same.

Gives you even MORE flexibility
dande36 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 21, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FlyAO2 View Post
By the way -- all the more reason to book 2 one-ways in markets where the pricing is the same.

Gives you even MORE flexibility
Not necessarily. If booked as a round-trip and DL cancels or significantly changes either segment, you are due a refund of the full ticket. If, booked as two one-ways, all you get is a refund of the cancelled segment and a funny money credit for the one which still presumably flies.

All of these "what's best" revolve around the central question of whether the credit is useful to you.
Old Apr 17, 21, 1:00 pm

Is there a time frame for cancelling for a refund? If I found a cheaper flight say the day before the flight could I book that and then cancel the refundable ticket?
Again, as has already been explained, if you have a refundable ticket, you can get it reissued to reflect the new fare and get a refund to your credit card at any point you find the lower fare. They will not likely credit a new PNR (could vary from agent to agent) but just use the same PNR, rebook in the lower fare reissue the ticket and credit the different in cash to your credit card. It isnít as complicated as you may think.
Old Apr 17, 21, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Not necessarily. If booked as a round-trip and DL cancels or significantly changes either segment, you are due a refund of the full ticket. If, booked as two one-ways, all you get is a refund of the cancelled segment and a funny money credit for the one which still presumably flies.

All of these "what's best" revolve around the central question of whether the credit is useful to you.
In my experience DL is pretty flexible when that happens....but yes that is a possibility. There is a MUCH higher possibility though that one segment will go down in price or you will want to make a change to one of the flights and don't want the other to get repriced.
Old Apr 19, 21, 6:37 pm

Yeah I am buying tickets at least once a month so using ecredits is super easy I just have to remember to.

Yes but I think you get airline credit and I don't know that I would be able to use it before it would expire

Search this Thread
Search Engine: