Dumb Questions About Award Tickets

Old Apr 14, 21, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Dumb Questions About Award Tickets

I've been hunker4ed down and out of the loop - but now I'm "fully vaccinated", so I am emerging.
  1. Are award ticket now re-depositable without fee for low status (Silver) people?
  2. Are they changeable?
  3. If they are changeable, does space have to be available in the same fare category? In other words, if I'm on an award ticket that was 15K miles one way, what happens if I want to change to a flight that costs 25K miles one way?
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old Apr 14, 21, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
As long as you avoid the dreaded basic economy fares, all delta tickets now have no change fees for both cash and mileage tickets (regardless of status). If you change from one flight to another DL will collect the difference in miles, but there will be no more $200 fee . If DL has a schedule change, they will still switch your routing to a more expensive routing for no charge, provided the new routing is still valid in their system (IE you can change a LAX-SLC-PSC to LAX-SEA-PSC in the event of a schedule change, but you can't change it to LAX-DTW-PSC).

Welcome back!
Old Apr 14, 21, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
As long as you avoid the dreaded basic economy fares, all delta tickets now have no change fees for both cash and mileage tickets (regardless of status). If you change from one flight to another DL will collect the difference in miles, but there will be no more $200 fee . If DL has a schedule change, they will still switch your routing to a more expensive routing for no charge, provided the new routing is still valid in their system (IE you can change a LAX-SLC-PSC to LAX-SEA-PSC in the event of a schedule change, but you can't change it to LAX-DTW-PSC).

Welcome back!

BE tickets bought before 4/30 still retain full value.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 14, 21, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
I've been hunker4ed down and out of the loop - but now I'm "fully vaccinated", so I am emerging.
  1. Are award ticket now re-depositable without fee for low status (Silver) people?
  2. Are they changeable?
  3. If they are changeable, does space have to be available in the same fare category? In other words, if I'm on an award ticket that was 15K miles one way, what happens if I want to change to a flight that costs 25K miles one way?
Thanks in advance for your answers.
1. Yes, except for BE tickets purchased after 4/30/21.
2. No
3. N/A due to #2.
Old Apr 15, 21, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spongenotbob View Post
1. Yes, except for BE tickets purchased after 4/30/21.
2. No
3. N/A due to #2.
Award tickets are indeed changeable, except for BE.
Old Apr 15, 21, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Award tickets are indeed changeable, except for BE.
But are they refundable beyond 24 hours?
Old Apr 15, 21, 1:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
But are they refundable beyond 24 hours?
Yes, there are no longer any redeposit fees, and you can cancel anytime prior to departure.
Old Apr 15, 21, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacar View Post
Yes, there are no longer any redeposit fees, and you can cancel anytime prior to departure.
Just to be clear, BE award tickets purchased prior to 4/30 are. BE awards purchased 5/1 or later are only refundable/changeable if done by midnight, day after purchase.
aacar and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 28, 21, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 1 MM, HHonors Diamond (thru AMEX), Marriott Gold
This is interesting. I have an international ticket booked with a return to a different city rather than SLC to save $$$. I may or may not make a separate return flight back to SLC the same evening. So if I book two cheap one-way award flights back to SLC, one being the last flight of the day and the second the next day, I can now cancel the award flight I don't need (say) a few hours before its departure without penalty? That is a nice return to the old days...
Old Apr 28, 21, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Lars View Post
This is interesting. I have an international ticket booked with a return to a different city rather than SLC to save $$$. I may or may not make a separate return flight back to SLC the same evening. So if I book two cheap one-way award flights back to SLC, one being the last flight of the day and the second the next day, I can now cancel the award flight I don't need (say) a few hours before its departure without penalty? That is a nice return to the old days...
DL can cancel one or both bookings if they are impossible to make both. Better to book one on DL and the other on a different airline.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: